Test for coil whine

brshoemak

Feb 11, 2005
Just picked up a Seasonic SSR-650RM (650W) from a deal online. I had heard that Seasonic PSUs can have issues with coil whine, but it was a great deal so I pulled the trigger.

I don't have the rest of my build ready (no MB, CPU, etc.) so I can't throw it into a system to test it.

If I short pins 4 and 6 with the ol' paper clip, will that be a good indication if coil whine is present or does it only occur when load is present? Thanks.

Ben90

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2009
You need load, and sometimes only specific loads will resonate the coils.

brshoemak

Feb 11, 2005
Ok thanks. I'll need to figure something out then. I'll just call up my friend and borrow his desktop - that's what friends are for. :)

Deders

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2012
It can also be specific to various combinations of graphics card and PSU depending on how they resonate.

JBT

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
In my experience its usually occurs on menu screens of games. Super high FPS being cranked out.

brshoemak

Feb 11, 2005
Well I finally got the WAF high enough to pickup the rest of the build, so I overnighted everything and when it's together I'll hit it with Prime95 for awhile and see what happens.

This won't be a gaming PC, it will be an ESXi server. Of course, if a graphics card happened to show up at my door and somehow fell into a PCIe slot and if I just accidentally booted from a spare hard drive running Windows with Steam installed and a shortcut to Bioshock Infinite on the desktop - well things like that just happen from time to time and who am I to deny that sort of happenstance. :)