Tesla to open their Superchargers to other EVs

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
later this year according to Elon. I suspect they will open in Europe first since there are already some pretty good third party charging options available there. I suspect it might be 2022-2024 before Tesla open up their US Superchargers to other EVs. Regardless, it's good news for other EV companies and EV owners since Tesla Superchargers are widespread and was pretty big competitive advantage for Tesla. If Tesla follows through and opens up the access to Superchargers to other EVs, that will definitely help speed up EV adoption and further Tesla's mission to accelerate the world's transition to sustainable energy. I think this announcement and move was inevitable. I'm not sure how I feel about it as Tesla shareholder but it's probably the right move.

Reactions: solidsnake1298

solidsnake1298

Aug 7, 2009
This completely opens up my choice in EV whenever my Subaru dies. If this pans out, I don't have to choose between Tesla's questionable fit and finish, but their massive charging network, and a better put together EV from a traditional auto maker and a much smaller charging network.

Reactions: Leeea

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
can you get an adaptor to their connector ?

hopefully other manufactures will take advantage of this and include whatever the fastest charging capability is.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
can you get an adaptor to their connector ?

hopefully other manufactures will take advantage of this and include whatever the fastest charging capability is.
I'm sure adaptor will be made available in the US. Europe doesn't need any since Tesla uses common CCS standard in Europe for their V3 Superchargers. Which is why I believe the Tesla will open up their Superchargers in Europe first before the US.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
This completely opens up my choice in EV whenever my Subaru dies. If this pans out, I don't have to choose between Tesla's questionable fit and finish, but their massive charging network, and a better put together EV from a traditional auto maker and a much smaller charging network.

Maybe on the surface, but not necessarily inside - the traditional automakers still have some catching up to do. This is worth watching - Mach-E Thermal System Part 2: A Detailed Comparison to the Model Y - YouTube

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I'd imagine that Tesla is going to be picky about the superchargers that they're going to allow open access to in the US. There are already many places in the US where it's tough to find a open charger right now during the weekend.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
They might realize that the traditional car manufacturers are damn sure going to take market share and had to accept sharing the wealth for the long-distance commuters who will bother to use the Superchargers.

Reactions: Leeea

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I'd imagine that Tesla is going to be picky about the superchargers that they're going to allow open access to in the US. There are already many places in the US where it's tough to find a open charger right now during the weekend.

Most likely. There are a lot of places where they have underutilized capacity though. Will be interesting to see how they handle it.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Does the House's Infrastructure still include Biden's request for the building of 50K charging stations?

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
Maybe on the surface, but not necessarily inside - the traditional automakers still have some catching up to do. This is worth watching - Mach-E Thermal System Part 2: A Detailed Comparison to the Model Y - YouTube

How much does that matter when the doors* are wrong from the factory, or you have to wait months** for parts to fix it?

*https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIph6uLO-aM
**https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlJ7lPdazyw
(and it appears Elon personally intervened to fix TFL's tesla, it is nice to have a million subscribers on YouTube)

Legacy car makers are just inferior, until it breaks. The problem with Tesla is it frequently appears they are broken from the factory. Tesla needs to fix their QA and fix their parts disaster. Until then, they cannot be relied on as a primary vehicle.

--------------

This is big wonderful news with the supercharger. The new f150 looks pretty nice, and comes with none of the downsides of owning a Tesla. However, all the non-Tesla charging networks are cruel jokes. This very much enables the non-tesla electric vehicle in the US.

Last edited:

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
How much does that matter when the doors* are wrong from the factory, or you have to wait months** for parts to fix it?

(and it appears Elon personally intervened to fix TFL's tesla, it is nice to have a million subscribers on YouTube)

Legacy car makers are just inferior, until it breaks. The problem with Tesla is it frequently appears they are broken from the factory. Tesla needs to fix their QA and fix their parts disaster. Until then, they cannot be relied on as a primary vehicle.

--------------

This is big wonderful news with the supercharger. The new f150 looks pretty nice, and comes with none of the downsides of owning a Tesla. However, all the non-Tesla charging networks are cruel jokes. This very much enables the non-tesla electric vehicle in the US.

It will matter a lot when they are a few years old and have many multiples as many places for leaks to happen. Re: "cannot be relied on as a primary vehicle" is laughable, and demonstrably false given how many people do use them as primary vehicles.

thecoolnessrune

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005

--------------

Is that a real question? I would gladly take a Tesla with the wrong doors installed vs. a 1st generation EV with a cobbled together thermal system.