• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Tesla Cybertruck

Page 24 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
$70k is starting to become the upper average price for vehicles these days. Everything from pickups to top trim muscle cars are in that range.

Dec 10, 2005
$70k is starting to become the upper average price for vehicles these days. Everything from pickups to top trim muscle cars are in that range.
Maybe if you're using interquartile ranges. Average new car price from quick googling is around $47k. Probably more if you're looking at trucks only. But then average also doesn't mean so much, since there is a strict lower bound for cost, and there is no upper bound. I'd be curious to see what the median is.

Last edited:
Reactions: Elfear

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
@Kaido Pretty much nobody believes a single-motor CyberTruck will ever be made, so the $40k price point seems like pure fantasy at this point.

Not only can you not get a Standard Range+ Model Y (IIRC that started at around $42k), but they've even axed the RWD model. So just to step into a Model Y starts at $59k before taxes and fees.

Tesla seems to believe (and perhaps rightfully so) that there is such massive excess demand for their cars that they can raise prices without affecting sales. I question whether that is a viable long-term strategy for a company that aspires to sell 10M cars by 2030. There's a reason why luxury brands are a relatively small part of the auto market; new cars are expensive as it is and most consumers can't afford the luxury mark-up.
There are a lot of consumers like me that simply won't buy luxury cars or trucks. My current truck has hand crank windows and rubber floors. I spent money on drive train and suspension, not flashing lights and a Bluetooth washer fluid monitor.
A brodozer would have been twice the money and half the utility.

Reactions: Thump553 and KeithP

ASK THE COMMUNITY