Tesla Cybertruck

Page 70 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
I think this is becoming more common with vehicles. Look at this estimate for a 2017 Range Rover with 82k miles and the engine won't start, $36k.

View attachment 96960
Uber luxury vehicle with an engine out repair. Of course the bill is going to be big.

They probably dropped a new complete engine is for the $24k in parts.

I should add, that with respect to EVs, a common architecture and truly mass-market adoption will go a long way towards reducing costs.

The scales of economy in passenger automotive are crazy.

Reactions: Zorba

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
What they really need to do is standardize the battery modules themselves. Make each module light enough to move by one person, maybe something the size and shape of a rackmount server that snaps into a backplane. The way these modules communicate with the car and the output voltage would be standard. The technology inside the module itself could be proprietary, as long as it meets the voltage and communication spec. As battery tech improves they could make new modules that use that tech but work with existing cars. Or if you get a damaged one you should be able to swap it out with any make/model and it should be a fairly routine shop job that takes a few hours. The modules would essentially act as a fixed voltage source, something like 100 volts. The car itself could then put as many as it wants in series/parallel, that's up to the manufacturer. The communication port on each module would tell the car the state of each module as well as be used to control charging. Each module would get power directly from the charger and support something like 120 to 600v AC or DC and be responsible for it's own battery management. That car's computer would have an overview of all modules and have direct access to the charger, so still be in control of the overall charge rate but each module would do it's own limiting if it hits a certain limit.

When you open up a battery pack it would essentially be a large backplane that accepts many of these. Some EVs could even have a bunch of slots that are easily user accessible to add extra range.

Making this a standard would also open up economy of scales to mass produce these standard modules, as they could be used in other things than cars too. Ex: backup power, solar, and so on. The way it is now is a mess as each EV make/model uses totally different architecture and it's own proprietary everything. If they want to use proprietary stuff, then all that should be implemented inside the module itself. Idea is you can swap that out with something else later down the line, if the tech improves, or you find a cheaper one.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
how about the part of never putting a dime in that racist sack of shit's pockets?
As far as the vehicle, I see no point in a back seat I would not be comfortable in. Just give it up, delete it and it becomes somewhat more useful.

it really does seem that simple. And the truck itself is a shit show. If you want to get a nice EV truck get a rivian, then put some metal balls on it so people still know you are a dbag. at least get a nice truck.

• Haha
Reactions: Zorba

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
What they really need to do is standardize the battery modules themselves. Make each module light enough to move by one person, maybe something the size and shape of a rackmount server that snaps into a backplane. The way these modules communicate with the car and the output voltage would be standard. The technology inside the module itself could be proprietary, as long as it meets the voltage and communication spec. As battery tech improves they could make new modules that use that tech but work with existing cars. Or if you get a damaged one you should be able to swap it out with any make/model and it should be a fairly routine shop job that takes a few hours. The modules would essentially act as a fixed voltage source, something like 100 volts. The car itself could then put as many as it wants in series/parallel, that's up to the manufacturer. The communication port on each module would tell the car the state of each module as well as be used to control charging. Each module would get power directly from the charger and support something like 120 to 600v AC or DC and be responsible for it's own battery management. That car's computer would have an overview of all modules and have direct access to the charger, so still be in control of the overall charge rate but each module would do it's own limiting if it hits a certain limit.

When you open up a battery pack it would essentially be a large backplane that accepts many of these. Some EVs could even have a bunch of slots that are easily user accessible to add extra range.

Making this a standard would also open up economy of scales to mass produce these standard modules, as they could be used in other things than cars too. Ex: backup power, solar, and so on. The way it is now is a mess as each EV make/model uses totally different architecture and it's own proprietary everything. If they want to use proprietary stuff, then all that should be implemented inside the module itself. Idea is you can swap that out with something else later down the line, if the tech improves, or you find a cheaper one.
If weight didn't matter, I would agree with you in principle. Every additional round of packaging adds weight.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
I'm still amazed people buy that brand. I've never heard anyone have a good time with one of those.
I've seen a notable uptick in people with them around here. I don't know if there was a fire sale, it's becoming more trendy or what but it boggles my mind

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
I've seen a notable uptick in people with them around here. I don't know if there was a fire sale, it's becoming more trendy or what but it boggles my mind

I have seen more around Southern CA. I did see one on Saturday that was wrapped and it really didn't look that bad. It wouldn't be something I would want but it was the first one that I had seen that wasn't stainless in person and I was surprised and how the wrap changed the look of the vehicle.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
I'm still amazed people buy that brand. I've never heard anyone have a good time with one of those.
The common phrasing out in the real bush work is "The Land Rover will get you there, the Land Cruiser will bring you back"

My brother worked all over the mountains of BC and up in the NWT as a geologist/driller for mining exploration in the 70's.
Pretty much everything that was not a Toyota Land Cruiser was trash.
I'm not talking about the PPPs of today.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I have a coworker who only buys Range Rovers and Jaguars, used, and has for decades. Yes, they are forever breaking down and, yes, I asked him why he keeps buying them. He likes them. That's it. I've ridden in his pimp deluxe Land Rover and I can somewhat see his point. There is a solidness, rigidity, to them that is comforting but I wouldn't trust them for long trips or backcountry use.

Reactions: skyking

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
I mean it's helpful to me! All this time people are saying "but we need these huge trucks in the US, you just don't understand" when actually they just wanted to make the one bike journey rather than the two!
Most Americans probably haven't touched a bike in the last decade.

I went to an HOA meeting in my neighborhood today. The meeting was in the meeting of our quarter section size neighborhood, so the longest walk would be about 1/3 mile. Everyone, except me, drove there some from less than a 5 minute walk away. Americans just don't even think of any transportation besides cars and planes.

Dec 10, 2005
Most Americans probably haven't touched a bike in the last decade.

I went to an HOA meeting in my neighborhood today. The meeting was in the meeting of our quarter section size neighborhood, so the longest walk would be about 1/3 mile. Everyone, except me, drove there some from less than a 5 minute walk away. Americans just don't even think of any transportation besides cars and planes.
That's insane, but not surprising.

I saw a video from someone on urbanism YouTube who pointed out that many people, even in suburbs, actually live within biking or walking distance of many everyday activities, but because of the way we've connected everything with car-only infrastructure, everyone just defaults to that mode.

Reactions: Zorba and Fenixgoon

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Wait. Was he throwing shade at Reuters whilst also linking to random YouTubers?
Yeap. Can't badmouth genius Elon after all. He even has issue with Reuters reporting MB and other car companies starting a charging network.

Last edited:

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
And there is a recall for the stuck accelerator pedal (All 3,878 CT that have been delivered are part of the recall)

Last edited: