Terrorist attack worse than Bali??

911paramedic

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2002
The news has been talking about all the threats recently. (not the hospital threats, that have me concerned)

The FBI, or CIA, or the "Homeland Defense" people put out the report that an attack is coming, and it is supposed to be worse than the attack in Bali. It did not say it would be here in America, but it is still a bit troubling.

Is is me, or is our so called "Homeland Defense" doing anything????

Oh, they spend about $61 BILLION per year according to CNN tonight.

Dacalo

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2000
Yep homeland is watching, credit card utilization, internet use, social security card, I mean almost every facet of our lives.

911paramedic

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2002
Originally posted by: Dacalo
Yep homeland is watching, credit card utilization, internet use, social security card, I mean almost every facet of our lives.
They are watching, quote " the chatter is much more than that before 9/11 ". They are not putting the pieces together. It is an extrememly hard job and I wish they could do better. Terrorists do not have any blueprints so they can strike anywhere at anytime. The only thing is I wish that the billions we poured in would turn up a few leads. For that amount of money we could put up a wall around our country, lol.

Waveslidin

Apr 28, 2002
I think they nabbed a very high level Al-Qaeda guy today. This is going to take a long time, there are plenty of these people in the world that are ready to act and have planned a long time for this. There is only so much you can truly do to totally prevent yourself from some kind of suicide terrorist attack..unfortunately. Especially when you have a society as free as ours. No matter what the politicians tell you, it just isn't possible. That is why we have to take this war to them even harder, it is a battle against time. Now people are starting to get a true grasp on just how long this may take, as GWB warned when we first undertook it. But make no mistake, we are getting some guys. They are running and hiding, and you know they are nervous. Give this some time, and we will prevail. God bless the men and women in uniform who we are going to count on to pull it out for us. God Bless America!

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Remember that politicians tend to screw things up and then they and the media blames the agencies for their own shortcomings. Example the upcoming 18 month 9/11 witch hunt.
This in mind, imagine that there are signs of terrorist activity are all around but you cant pin it down.

Choices are not to tell anyone. Can you imagine if ANYTHING happened at all? Screwed again.

Other choice is to give a warning so at least they cant be blamed for silence. Of course the media will fry them for inciting. They cannot win. Since you are by definition screwed, err on the side of caution

As to what Homeland security does? Well they have been collecting some sort of information, but the details are never going to come out. Cant let the bad guys know everything. Still, budgets should generally show what is spent on what.
The other thing they do is worry me. I dont know what oversight there will be. Guess its wait and see

Jfur

Diamond Member
Jul 9, 2001

We are all in deeeeeep crap, and I don't mean becaise of the terrorists :|

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: Jfur

We are all in deeeeeep crap, and I don't mean becaise of the terrorists :|

Last time i checked they could not look at such things without a judges permission?

Atrail

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2001
All ropes can be cut for National Security. Someone can kill the President and we can't look at the evidence because of "National Security Reasons".

Aug 10, 2001
That data-mining thing is not part of the Homeland Defense bill, and it will not keep a record of people who live in the U.S. But it will most likely not be created anyways because seemingly everyone is against it.

911paramedic

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2002
Originally posted by: Waveslidin
I think they nabbed a very high level Al-Qaeda guy today. This is going to take a long time, there are plenty of these people in the world that are ready to act and have planned a long time for this. There is only so much you can truly do to totally prevent yourself from some kind of suicide terrorist attack..unfortunately. Especially when you have a society as free as ours. No matter what the politicians tell you, it just isn't possible. That is why we have to take this war to them even harder, it is a battle against time. Now people are starting to get a true grasp on just how long this may take, as GWB warned when we first undertook it. But make no mistake, we are getting some guys. They are running and hiding, and you know they are nervous. Give this some time, and we will prevail. God bless the men and women in uniform who we are going to count on to pull it out for us. God Bless America!

I was being facetious about the "Great Wall". I do belive with Waveslinin that if terrorists really want to come into America and do damage they can. It may just be (I say "just" lightly) suicide bombers in public areas. The effect will be the same if done enough. There is no way to protect a free society against a person that is willing to blow themself up in a crowd of people. It will never happen. We have all witnessed something that will, and has, changed our lives forever. We will also have to see what else it has in store for us.

We are a strong people, we have overcome great odds before, and will again. God Bless America. (even though I am not really religious)

David.

911paramedic

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2002
Originally posted by: Atrail
All ropes can be cut for National Security. Someone can kill the President and we can't look at the evidence because of "National Security Reasons".

I did get to work in the motorcade for Gore back in 98(?) in SF. We had a SS person with us and it was amazing. The SS has their act together without a doubt. It was one of the most amazing things I was ever a part of. The SS was on top of everything, and if there was a bad guy out there, they would have been on top of it. That was the only time I ever drove from the SF airport, to downtown SF, then to Berkley, and back to the SF airport, without ANY traffic. The police did a great job blocking traffic.

(when I say none, there was not a car within at least a mile of our motorcade at any time, it really was amazing)

T2T III

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: 911paramedic
The news has been talking about all the threats recently. (not the hospital threats, that have me concerned)

The FBI, or CIA, or the "Homeland Defense" people put out the report that an attack is coming, and it is supposed to be worse than the attack in Bali. It did not say it would be here in America, but it is still a bit troubling.

I believe the Homeland Defense initiative is having some problems getting into place. Then again, it's the Government - what do you expect?

Although the U.S. is still under code "yellow," my neighbor is in the Secret Service. I call tell whenever something is "up" or "happening" because he'll back his take-home car into the parking spot. Needless to say, his car has been backed into the parking spot for the past few days. :(

T2T III

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Oh, one more thing. I'm an "IT" person with a significant backgound and experience. Also, I'm prior military and have held a security clearance before. Being 20 or so miles outside of D.C., many people have encouraged me to apply for some of the Homeland Security positions. However, I think the whole process might be kind of frustrating - because I'm used to making things happen quickly and not sitting on them for months and months.

Atrail

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2001
The Federal gov. is telling states they need to step up security measures, but the states are not getting any funding to do so yet. So yeah it will be a rough start.

911paramedic

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2002
Originally posted by: wje
Originally posted by: 911paramedic

I believe the Homeland Defense initiative is having some problems getting into place. Then again, it's the Government - what do you expect?

Although the U.S. is still under code "yellow," my neighbor is in the Secret Service. I call tell whenever something is "up" or "happening" because he'll back his take-home car into the parking spot. Needless to say, his car has been backed into the parking spot for the past few days. :(

Just to help you out a bit, we would always back in our ambulance or sheriff's vehicle when possible. :D