Terror threat credible and specific for 9/11 anniversary

Jul 10, 2007
A "specific, credible" threat has emerged surrounding the 10th anniversary of the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks, U.S. officials said Thursday.

But they emphasized that there was a great deal of uncertainty about the threat and said they were acknowledging it out of an abundance of caution. NBC News said police in New York City and Washington had been alerted.

Recent intelligence, obtained within the past day, and originating from the tribal areas of Pakistan, advised the United States of a plan to set off car or truck bombs in Washington or New York around the time of the 9/11 anniversary, officials told NBC News.

The information indicated that three people would travel to the U.S. from Pakistan to carry out an attack, they said. However, the information included very little else in the way of specifics — in terms of timing or target.

Law enforcement officials will be told tonight to be on the lookout for three men "of Middle Eastern descent" and potentially traveling in a van, they said.

While the information has some specificity, and the source has been credible in the past, it's uncorroborated, officials warned, noting they have no idea whether this is for real or not.

However, given the fact that documents found when Osama bin Laden was killed indicated his desire for an attack on the 9/11 anniversary, and further given concerns about possible retaliation for bin Laden's death, officials have decided to pass this information along to local law enforcement agencies.

"Now is not the time not to tell them about it," one official said Thursday night.

Police in Washington and New York were told earlier today to expect that they'd be told more about this, and some officers said they were told to stay on duty longer.

"In this instance, it's accurate that there is specific, credible but unconfirmed threat information," the Department of Homeland Security said Thursday in a prepared statement. "As we always do before important dates like the anniversary of 9/11, we will undoubtedly get more reporting in the coming days. Sometimes this reporting is credible and warrants intense focus, other times it lacks credibility and is highly unlikely to be reflective of real plots under way.

"Regardless, we take all threat reporting seriously, and we have taken, and will continue to take all steps necessary to mitigate any threats that arise. We continue to ask the American people to remain vigilant as we head into the weekend."

An administration official told NBC News the threat "so far" was a 5 to 6 on a scale of 10.

New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg and Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly planned a news conference at 9:30 p.m. EDT Thursday.

President Barack Obama was briefed on the specific threat information Thursday morning and was updated on it throughout the day, a White House official said. The U.S. government "already significantly enhanced its security posture in advance of the 9/11 anniversary to protect the country against possible terrorist threats. Nevertheless, the president directed the counterterrorism community to redouble its efforts in response to this credible but unconfirmed information."

One official told NBC News that discussions are under way about whether to raise the threat warning status, but no decision has been made.

Earlier Thursday, Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano said "in the intel world there is lots of chatter and we are taking it very seriously."

The threat was revealed as officials said they already were adding thousands of extra police, cameras and weapons around New York, Washington, and western Pennsylvania for Sept. 11 anniversary attacks.

Taking no chances in NY
The New York Police Department, as a result of the threat information, is stepping up its protective measures visible to the public starting now, a government official told WNBC.

"There's absolutely no need for any panic," Rep. Peter King, R-N.Y., chairman of the House Homeland Security Committee, told NBC News. He said he was briefed on the threat.

"Everyone should be very much alert, keep their eyes and ears open; if they see something, say something," King said. "And now with the added fact of this specific, credible threat, people should be more alert and aware than ever."

Commissioner Kelly outlined security procedures earlier this week at a Manhattan Institute conference on terrorism, the New York Daily News reported.

Kelly told the group police are not taking any chances for a Sunday observance at the World Trade Center that Obama and former President George W. Bush plan to attend.

A New York City police officer stops Xiang Mao, left, and Lexi Li on Thursday along the perimeter of the World Trade Center, after the officer's hand-held radiation detector indicated that one of the two may have had radioactive material. Xiang Mao explained that he had been injected with radioactive material for medical tests Wednesday. The two tourists from Canton, China were allowed to continue on their way.

Kelly said Ground Zero would be surrounded by a frozen zone. Thousands of cops will be on duty, some carrying radiation detectors and sniper rifles. Extra attention will be given to the subway system, especially Grand Central Terminal, Penn Station and Herald Square.

Hundreds of surveillance cameras will monitor the site.

"We don't presume Ground Zero alone is a potential target," Kelly said, outlining procedures. "That would be short-sighted.

Kelly said quick-reaction forces will be assigned outside lower Manhattan.

Cops trained to use heavy weapons after the Mumbai 2008 terror attacks will supplement Emergency Services officers, he said.

"Bomb squad officers and hostage negotiators will also be attached to these quick reaction groups, as will highway patrol officers to ensure these teams can get to any point in the city as quickly as possible," Kelly said.

A police source told the Daily News two teams of these officers will be in place by the United Nations and near one of the bridges leading to an outer borough.

Police scuba divers will also examine the U.S.S. New York, made of World Trade Center steel, at its West 48th Street dock, Kelly said.

Capital concerns
In the nation's capital, District of Columbia Police Chief Cathy Lanier told The Associated Press that said every one of her 3,800 officers would work at some point during remembrances.

"You’ll see mass transit, you’ll see restaurants, hotels, sporting events — any place where there’s a crowd, we’re going to have an increased presence," Lanier said.

People walking or traveling near the U.S. Capitol will see more uniformed and plainclothes officers, additional police cruisers and may notice a bomb squad or SWAT team in areas of Capitol Hill where they wouldn’t ordinarily be seen, said Sgt. Kimberly Schneider, a U.S. Capitol Police spokeswoman. The U.S. Park Police, which has jurisdiction over D.C. landmarks including the National Mall and the Washington Monument, is also on alert.

"We’re well aware that this anniversary does bring with it a lot of emotion and concerns, but we’re certainly addressing it," said Park Police spokesman David Schlosser.

Pennsylvania on alert
Already responding to rampaging rivers, Pennsylvania emergency workers say they are preparing for whatever security threats Sept. 11 events may bring.

National Park Service’s Flight 93 National Memorial in Stonycreek Township near Shanksville will be unveiled Saturday during events that are expected to draw 10,000 people, including Vice President Joe Biden. Obama is expected at events on Sunday.

Cory Angell, a PEMA spokesman, told radio station WHYY the center nearest to the site of the Flight 93 memorial in Somerset County will be activated at a Level 2 — meaning key emergency staffers from different state departments will be on duty.

"In the western part of Pittsburgh, of course — Flight 93 and the event that they're having in memory of those lost on 9/11 — being a significant event, that EOC will be activated at a Level 2, as well," he said.

The Flight 93 memorial's website notes that security checkpoints will be located at ceremony entrances, chairs will be permitted but not in bags; coolers are banned.

wait, so does this mean it's ok to profile now?
or are we still too afraid to hurt feelings so we'll be stopping the old white lady in the wheelchair.

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
blah, we've heard this literally dozens of times since 911. One day there will be an attack, until then I don't even pay attention to these alerts.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
or are we still too afraid to hurt feelings so we'll be stopping the old white lady in the wheelchair.

Don't be silly. It means looking for specific things (including race) is OK when you have specifics on a particular suspect or group of suspects. That's a much different thing than picking out people for skin color or religion when looking for criminals in general.

In other words, in case this difference seems too complicated, it's OK to look for Pakistanis when you have specific information about a group of Pakistani terrorists. That's much different when you're looking for bad guys in general and you just assume that all bad guys are Pakistani, so you focus on Pakistanis.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Cops trained to use heavy weapons after the Mumbai 2008 terror attacks

NYPD setting up fields of fire and doing range cards for their m240s.

Sep 29, 2004
There was a special on Discovery and History a few days ago. Different specials but both discussed the bin Laden killing. This was Tuesday. On one of those specials, they stated that one of Bin Laden's wants was to do something on the 10th anniversary.

This should not be a shock that something is planned.

Attic

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2010
So now that this is news, do you think the 3 Middle Eastern men are going to travel in a van?

Latest report issued a correction saying they weren't traveling, but rather living in a Van down by the river!!!

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
Sensationalist media strikes again. Isn't the terror threat always real?

Bloomberg was on TV discussing this. As an NY'er, I think it's pretty serious. I'm still going to work and everything, but I doubt they'd go this far if it weren't concerning. The WTC site will be more open, many important people will be in the city and many people will be moving in and out.

What's sad is that people like you would turn around and blame the government for not doing enough.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001

I don't think my question was too confusing. "Just as likely to be Buddhists as any other religion..." certainly SOUNDS like some implied insult about Muslims, but it's better if you actually come right out and say it...

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
I don't think my question was too confusing. "Just as likely to be Buddhists as any other religion..." certainly SOUNDS like some implied insult about Muslims, but it's better if you actually come right out and say it...

Not sure why he should bother as he's come right out and said it so many times that at this point any time he inserts an ellipsis into a post you can mentally replace it with "generic insult to Muslims here." In the longrun this practice of using the ellipsis as shorthand for insulting Muslims will save him from carpel tunnel.

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002

We've exchanged posts on this topic countless times before. I haven't gained anything from your posts so I don't really want to waste time with you again here.

Not sure why he should bother as he's come right out and said it so many times that at this point any time he inserts an ellipsis into a post you can mentally replace it with "generic insult to Muslims here." In the longrun this practice of using the ellipsis as shorthand for insulting Muslims will save him from carpel tunnel.

I think the use of the term "insult" is interesting. I criticize Islam. I guess you never criticize religions? Do you want to just yell "bigot"? I'm sure you'll split hairs saying that's not what you want to do but that's certainly the tone of your condescending post. It's especially silly since if I recall correctly you've wrongly painted all Asians with similar "insults" like suggesting they are all misogynist and that it's not a religious thing but a cultural thing which is insulting to more people than my criticisms of Islam.

Saint Nick

Lifer
Jan 21, 2005
Bloomberg was on TV discussing this. As an NY'er, I think it's pretty serious. I'm still going to work and everything, but I doubt they'd go this far if it weren't concerning. The WTC site will be more open, many important people will be in the city and many people will be moving in and out.

What's sad is that people like you would turn around and blame the government for not doing enough.
Whoa, cool the jets LK. What makes you think I'm a person who blames the government for not doing enough? That wasn't what I meant at all.

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
We've exchanged posts on this topic countless times before. I haven't gained anything from your posts so I don't really want to waste time with you again here.

I think the use of the term "insult" is interesting. I criticize Islam. I guess you never criticize religions? Do you want to just yell "bigot"? I'm sure you'll split hairs saying that's not what you want to do but that's certainly the tone of your condescending post. It's especially silly since if I recall correctly you've wrongly painted all Asians with similar "insults" like suggesting they are all misogynist and that it's not a religious thing but a cultural thing which is insulting to more people than my criticisms of Islam.

Haha you're taking my post a little too seriously man.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Hopeful thinking leads me to believe the .gov is doing nothing more than sounding the alarm to scare off any would be opportunists. They want the terrorist to know we're waiting for them, in an attempt to dissuade them.

Psychological warfare. Nothing more than a precaution.

Macamus Prime

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2011

The NYPD and TSA are working HARD to stop The Reese Witherspoon Liberation Front. Come to NYC, take a few subway trips. Our national "security" efforts are made up of cops trying to pick up blonde NYC chicks at all these security check points.

So, you are complaining because you aren't "seeing" the people you want to see pulled over and searched.

You masturbate to the Guantanimo pictures, don't you?

airdata

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2010
blah, we've heard this literally dozens of times since 911. One day there will be an attack, until then I don't even pay attention to these alerts.

Yeah, it's worse when most of the 'foiled terror plots' since 9-11 have been fbi stings where the fbi provided the fake bomb and found some lonely, unlucky guy on the internet to take the 20+ year prison sentence for playing their game.

No actual terrorists though. And yes, there's a huge difference.

When you tell me that terrorists were going to blow up a high rise in downtown Dallas where I am often... I shit bricks.

When you tell me there was never any danger because it was a fake bomb being planted by some guy the FBI was paying... well, that's a totally different story.

Same thing w\ the 'underwear bomber' too. Witnesses in court testified that he didn't have his paperwork to even get on the plane, and some dude in a suit got him cleared through security despite that.