Terrible political ad during the superbowl in Michigan.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Riparian

Jul 21, 2011
No... Remember that thread where white people were complaining about the "Shit White Girls Say" video being racist, and I had to explain that it's not racist because it's making fun of stereotypes in good fun? The PC crowd can't distinguish between racism and satire. I can, and this isn't satire in any way, it's just crudely denigrating Asians of all ethnicities and nationalities in a political attack ad. The very purpose is to direct anger toward the Chinese people, rather than the corporations outsourcing and the Chinese government that keeps working conditions bad. It may be that this guy just didn't think it through, but that doesn't make it any less racist.

If you have Asperger's or just don't have a sense of humor, here's an easy litmus test to tell whether something is actually satire or just a racist (or classist, or xenophobic) attack: Are the people being made fun of laughing along?

Working class white people laugh when Jeff Foxworthy tells jokes about them, black people laugh when Chris Rock tells jokes about them, Asians laugh when Margaret Cho tells jokes about them, Latinos laugh when George Lopez tells jokes about them, and rich white people laugh when Dave Chappelle tells jokes about them. I can't see anybody laughing at this crude caricature of a Chinese person.

As a Chinese American, I got a kick out of it but mainly because of the absurdity of the ad.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
This ad played well to the audience it targeted. Just look at the postings in this thread for proof.

To the ad's creators and Hoekstra who approved its use, it doesn't really matter how anyone else felt about the ad. The message got delivered to the people it targeted and they, along with Hoekstra believe the message the ad conveyed speaks to their ideology and agenda. Any negative response to the ad is inconsequential to Hoekstra, because the ad was not meant to persuade anyone but the choir he was preaching to.

Personally, I think the ad was offensive but effective to those voters Hoekstra wanted to keep from straying off his pastures.

There is an implication. There is an unspoken message. But there is also plausible denaibility built right into the ad. Rove couldn't have done it any better because for all appearances it looks like his fingerprints are all over it.

DominionSeraph

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
What do you think 99% of the population in China rides or lives?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urbanization_in_the_People's_Republic_of_China
Urbanization in the People's Republic of China increased in speed following the initiation of the reform and opening policy. By the end of 2010, the mainland of the People's Republic of China had a total urban population of 665.57 million or 49.68 percent of the total population, rising from 26% in 1990.[1]

---------------------------
Update on 8 October 2010: The Chinese Ministry of Public Security discloses today that there are 199 million registered motor vehicles in the country, including 85 million automobiles. The number of legal drivers of motor vehicles reached 205 million, including 144 million automobile drivers.

(15%)

Patranus, showing once again that he doesn't have a clue.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
OK . I can't see it. Someone explain the racism in this video I can't see it and its bothering the hell out of me,

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
I see no need to carry you though this. Learn to walk on your own.

The reason I can't see racism is because there none at all. Its like the GB and Giants Game . Referrs seeing things that didn't happen. I can see missing a play but seeing something happen that didn't is out and out lie . Ya can't see that which never occurred, There for you can't make the call.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
Just like you not seeing any grammar mistakes in your post meant there were none?

As I have just demonstrated, reality is independent of your perception.

Really . Did ya . you only proved what we already know about your type of reply. You figure that one out Mr.I am a grammer queen

JockoJohnson

Golden Member
May 20, 2009
No... Remember that thread where white people were complaining about the "Shit White Girls Say" video being racist, and I had to explain that it's not racist because it's making fun of stereotypes in good fun? The PC crowd can't distinguish between racism and satire. I can, and this isn't satire in any way, it's just crudely denigrating Asians of all ethnicities and nationalities in a political attack ad. The very purpose is to direct anger toward the Chinese people, rather than the corporations outsourcing and the Chinese government that keeps working conditions bad. It may be that this guy just didn't think it through, but that doesn't make it any less racist.

If you have Asperger's or just don't have a sense of humor, here's an easy litmus test to tell whether something is actually satire or just a racist (or classist, or xenophobic) attack: Are the people being made fun of laughing along?

Working class white people laugh when Jeff Foxworthy tells jokes about them, black people laugh when Chris Rock tells jokes about them, Asians laugh when Margaret Cho tells jokes about them, Latinos laugh when George Lopez tells jokes about them, and rich white people laugh when Dave Chappelle tells jokes about them. I can't see anybody laughing at this crude caricature of a Chinese person.

I guess from your response, you are calling all of the Asian/Asian-Americans in this thread liars. They find it humorous. Comments on youtube show people of Asian persuasion find it humorous. Are you wearing blinders or intentionally ignoring the comments of people who found humor in the ad? I know the humor is coming from how stupid the portrayal is and not like from those comedians you listed but humor there, nonetheless.

I do find the ad rather absurd and agree something better should have been shown as to why people should elect him but it's politics. People shouldn't get their panties in such a wad.

Edit: By the way, from your post, who is not laughing along? The Democrats or the Asians. The ad is making fun of the Democrat at the cost of the Chinese. The Chinese are laughing along...why does the Democrat have to laugh along? Is this some kind of new Political Correctness that I am not aware of?

Last edited:

Ninjahedge

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2005
Really . Did ya . you only proved what we already know about your type of reply. You figure that one out Mr.I am a grammer queen

No, he was just saying you were a rabble rousing dipshit.

As was said, this was made to insult the chinese, period. It does not matter if they live in China or if they are living next door, this was demeaning (deliberately so).

Comparing this to Obama is more than a stretch, it is a complete fabrication and a lame attempt to drag the red herring through the thread onto something you feel you can sink your slandering teeth into.

Your stuff is to hack and partisan to take seriously, and until you realize that, most people here just see your posts for what they are.

Flame bait.

dawheat

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
I guess from your response, you are calling all of the Asian/Asian-Americans in this thread liars. They find it humorous. Comments on youtube show people of Asian persuasion find it humorous. Are you wearing blinders or intentionally ignoring the comments of people who found humor in the ad? I know the humor is coming from how stupid the portrayal is and not like from those comedians you listed but humor there, nonetheless.

I do find the ad rather absurd and agree something better should have been shown as to why people should elect him but it's politics. People shouldn't get their panties in such a wad.

Edit: By the way, from your post, who is not laughing along? The Democrats or the Asians. The ad is making fun of the Democrat at the cost of the Chinese. The Chinese are laughing along...why does the Democrat have to laugh along? Is this some kind of new Political Correctness that I am not aware of?

I'm asian and I found it ignorant, not humorous. I think most other asians in this thread found it ridiculous which isn't quite the same as humorous.

Most of us also didn't find it racist (can we please put that to rest), but xenophobic and frankly ignorant. But I suppose that comes with the territory of generally being intelligent and well educated as a demographic :)

JockoJohnson

Golden Member
May 20, 2009
I'm asian and I found it ignorant, not humorous. I think most other asians in this thread found it ridiculous which isn't quite the same as humorous.

Most of us also didn't find it racist (can we please put that to rest), but xenophobic and frankly ignorant. But I suppose that comes with the territory of generally being intelligent and well educated as a demographic :)

Agreed. As I stated earlier, it was not racist but xenophobic and the ad is extremely ignorant but that's politics and stupid shit like that comes out all the time. The one mostly with their panties in a bunch is the PC crowd.

Mani

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2001
It's not in and of itself racist, it's just intended to bring out latent feelings of racism or xenophobia in people. Honestly, it's sound strategy if you have no ethical qualms with it and the people you are targeting have those feelings and will turn that anger into a presence at the polls.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007

Oh I see, the crudeness of the racism to the point of ridiculousness makes it funny?

Carmen813

Diamond Member
May 18, 2007
When the left can't defend its record, they pull the race card.

"progressives" 101.

I love the term "race card." It implies that people of color have some mystical special privileges in our society that they can apply anytime the going gets tough. What a crock.

This add is racist, plain and simple. Racism comes in many forms and it is not always about attacking a specific individual/group. Xenophobia is, in fact, a form of racism.

When you are obviously wrong and can't back up your position with fact, use personal attacks.
"Patranus 101."

Last edited:

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003
I don't see any issue with that ad.
I don't get it either. USA does borrow shitloads of money from China. That's a fact. It's also a fact that people in China look Chinese and they ride bicycles instead of drive cars. What do leftists want? Hire a black person to act Chinese then put him in a German made BMW?

Whoever did the casting for that commercial is a retard.
1. That woman is attractive, so we're more likely to sympathize with her even though she's the enemy.
2. She is clearly American, but she's supposed to sound Chinese. They seriously couldn't find 1 Chinese immigrant willing to do this commercial? They could get thousands of them from Canada. IIRC, Chinese is the largest immigrant group up here.
3. Asian women, in general, are more attractive than Asian men. They should have used an Asian man for this role. (It's because women are shallow bitches who insist their man is 5'10" or taller)

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
One thing I'll say in favor of that ad-the politician had the stones to put his own name and approval on it, rather than hiding behind some bs Super-PAC.

I am definately not looking forward to this summer and fall TV season, however-it's going to be wall to wall hate, bile and misery.

Riparian

Jul 21, 2011
OK . I can't see it. Someone explain the racism in this video I can't see it and its bothering the hell out of me,

Can you at least agree that it plays on hurtful stereotypes that have in the past been used to further racism against East Asians?

JockoJohnson

Golden Member
May 20, 2009
Oh I see, the crudeness of the racism to the point of ridiculousness makes it funny?

You and I disagree and will probably never agree. I don't see the ad as racist but you do. I do see the ad as stupid and ignorant and it's so absurd that it is funny. I don't endorse it but I sure am not butt-hurt over it either.

Patranus

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2007
I just saw an El Pollo Loco commercial with a hispanic man talking in broken english while discussing there new fish tacos.

Where are the 'race police' over that commercial?

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002
Can you at least agree that it plays on hurtful stereotypes that have in the past been used to further racism against East Asians?

What stereotypes are those? That the Asians lending money to the US live in Asia? That they are not a native-English speaking country?

Do you know what the difference between race and nationality is?