Terrible political ad during the superbowl in Michigan.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
Welcome to the conservative mind in the year 2012, where ridiculing the way people of a certain race talk in order to demean them is not considered racist.

The ad isn't even logical. It would have made sense to show a Hu Jintao or some high level Chinese official, not an Asian-American girl riding a bike in a rice paddy.

The way people talk is an issue of culture and national origin, not race. That's why xenophobia is a better concept here than racism. But also, the issue here is portraying the Chinese, and by that I mean actual people who live in China, as being happy about stealing American jobs. Had the person portrayed spoken without the accent, it would have undermined the xenophobic message.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
That was incredibly stupid. But I did almost laugh at the failed attempt to speak broken English, and again when I realized that she was literally pedaling through a rice paddy.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Did Michigan have a lot of rice farmers before Spenditnow came to town?

dawheat

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
I agree it's not racist (as an Asian), but it is xenophobic and just plain offensive.

It uses the race of a US citizen to attack them politically. Not much difference to me if say a US citizen of Iranian descent had an ad portrayed being in Iran with oil being pumped out of the ground with a background of missiles and a nuclear reactor saying "a vote for him/her is a vote making America unsafe".

You'd hope we would have evolved past that but hey - lowest common denominator.

What's also stupid is China is killing us on the manufacturing front and instead of showing that, he tries for another layer of cultural supremacy by portraying rice paddies.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
Did Michigan have a lot of rice farmers before Spenditnow came to town?

No, they all lost their paddies when Obama did not include them in the bailouts. For that alone I refuse to vote for Obama. :AngryTwistedMadFace:

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
The ad is clearly racist, perpetuating the not-American beliefs many hold of Asian-Americans and using other derogatory stereotypes of the Asian American community.

We must also look at history. Michigan is the state where Vincent Chin was beaten to death in an anti-Asian environment, making international news and helping create the modern Asian civil rights movement. The politician knew what he was doing and the environment he was operating in.

JockoJohnson

Golden Member
May 20, 2009
More cries of wolf...no, not Woolfe9999. He is right. Xenophobic yes, racist no.

But keeping on crying wolf so when racism really occurs, people will be so tone deaf to it that it gets ignored. The PC culture is truly pathetic nowadays.

"Waahhh, I am slightly offended or think someone else might be so I need to bitch about it on the Intarwebs!!"

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
Puns... the weakest attempt at wit.

"spenditnow"? That's the best you could come up with?

It's like he's running for Jr. High Class President.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
You don't think having the actress speak broken English, riding a bike through a rice paddy, with stereotypical music playing in the background is ridiculing Asians?

picard-facepalm.jpg

...No. It's not.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Wow, not only does that ad just plain suck, but its a harsh personal attack which does not sit well with me in politics.
Granted, I dont care much for how politicians blow money they dont have, but an ad such as that one wouldnt convince me to vote for him.

Especially considering he voted for most of the things he is accusing her wasting American money on. Pete is not a penny pincher which makes his ad so pathetically funny. He doesn't stand a snowball's chance in hell of unseating her.

Last edited:

Gardener

Nov 22, 1999
Who is Pete's primary challenger? He got his ass kicked by Rick Synder in the republican primary for governor in 2010.

Hard to believe he's the best the GOP has to offer in a statewide election. He's can't win with the Dutch Reformed Church vote from 2 counties like he did during this tenure in the US House. His support is a mile deep, and an inch wide.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Yeah, bike through rice paddy, they are rolling in American money over there.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
And lefties overplay the racecard to the point its going to bite them in the ass.

Not really because I don't there is enough bandwidth on the internet to post all the racist connotations and dog whistles from the Republican party.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Not really because I don't there is enough bandwidth on the internet to post all the racist connotations and dog whistles from the Republican party.

I suspect if a thread was started of state or national Democrats exhibiting racism towards Mitt Romney because he is white, entries would be zero.

Ninjahedge

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2005
It's both.

It is both racist and xenophobic, the latter being more directly related.

You have to realize that when dealing with a subject like this, most "average folk" will not differentiate between an insulting representation of a foreign citizen and their next-door-neighbor with an accent.

Take, for instance, the beating of Indian Cab Drivers after 9-11. Why? Because "They're MUSLIM!!!!!"

ya.

The "average" american is an ignorant prick willing to hate anybody remotely resembling something different than they are for whatever reason (unless they want to sleep with them, that is). Splitting the hair between Xenophobia and Racism is pointless, as the two are usually practiced with equal ignorance and hate (and, in many cases, simultaneously).

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
More cries of wolf...no, not Woolfe9999. He is right. Xenophobic yes, racist no.

But keeping on crying wolf so when racism really occurs, people will be so tone deaf to it that it gets ignored. The PC culture is truly pathetic nowadays.

"Waahhh, I am slightly offended or think someone else might be so I need to bitch about it on the Intarwebs!!"

No... Remember that thread where white people were complaining about the "Shit White Girls Say" video being racist, and I had to explain that it's not racist because it's making fun of stereotypes in good fun? The PC crowd can't distinguish between racism and satire. I can, and this isn't satire in any way, it's just crudely denigrating Asians of all ethnicities and nationalities in a political attack ad. The very purpose is to direct anger toward the Chinese people, rather than the corporations outsourcing and the Chinese government that keeps working conditions bad. It may be that this guy just didn't think it through, but that doesn't make it any less racist.

If you have Asperger's or just don't have a sense of humor, here's an easy litmus test to tell whether something is actually satire or just a racist (or classist, or xenophobic) attack: Are the people being made fun of laughing along?

Working class white people laugh when Jeff Foxworthy tells jokes about them, black people laugh when Chris Rock tells jokes about them, Asians laugh when Margaret Cho tells jokes about them, Latinos laugh when George Lopez tells jokes about them, and rich white people laugh when Dave Chappelle tells jokes about them. I can't see anybody laughing at this crude caricature of a Chinese person.

Last edited:

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Especially considering he voted for most of the things he is accusing her wasting American money on. Pete is not a penny pincher which makes his ad so pathetically funny. He doesn't stand a snowball's chance in hell of unseating her.

Oh god forbid we should ask our politicians to not be hypocrites. The whole system would collapse.

NeoV

Diamond Member
Apr 18, 2000
read what Ninjahedge said

what a shock GOP Hard-ons like Patranus and cyber see nothing wrong, offensive, Xenophobic, or offense at all with the add....

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Terrible political ad during the superbowl in Michigan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrbdXUWryXk

Seriously if you think this is a good advertisement and put this on the air there is no way I will vote for you. I couldn't even believe it while I was watching it.

Just another showing by Republicans how much they hate America.

But that aside the girl they used for the ad is hot, I give them that much credit anyway.

Ninjahedge

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2005
In all fairness, it is not "Republicans".

It is racist, xenophobic, homophobic, right wing political patrons that support the Republican Party.....

Unfortunately... they do represent a majority of that representation....