Terrible political ad during the superbowl in Michigan.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Wow, not only does that ad just plain suck, but its a harsh personal attack which does not sit well with me in politics.
Granted, I dont care much for how politicians blow money they dont have, but an ad such as that one wouldnt convince me to vote for him.

Paul98

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2010
lol he is trying to defend it on fox news right now. Racist or not this is insanely stupid commercial. It was funny till I found out it was supposed to be serious.

Well after watching that he didn't defend it, other than saying no it's not. He just had a place to talk about same random partisan crap.

Last edited:

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
I love how you rightwingers are now so open and flagrant with your racism!

He claims it's satirical, but it's not. He's not satiring Asian stereotypes, he's using stereotypes to attack them. It doesn't even make sense. Why would you openly ridicule Asians in order to make a point about us owing money to China? Two things conservatives don't understand-- comedy and race.

Paul98

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2010
When the left can't defend its record, they pull the race card.

"progressives" 101.

What a surprise random partisan crap. Defend what record, that add had nothing to do with policies, and record, unless you think saying spend it now and spend it not is something meaningful.

Patranus

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2007
I love how you rightwingers are now so open and flagrant with your racism!

He claims it's satirical, but it's not. He's not satiring Asian stereotypes, he's using stereotypes to attack them. It doesn't even make sense. Why would you openly ridicule Asians in order to make a point about us owing money to China? Two things conservatives don't understand-- comedy and race.

Not a single thing in that ad ridicules Asians.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
Not a single thing in that ad ridicules Asians.

You don't think having the actress speak broken English, riding a bike through a rice paddy, with stereotypical music playing in the background is ridiculing Asians?

picard-facepalm.jpg

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002
First of all, this is a bad ad because clearly this is a native English speaker. She doesn't really even do a good impersonation of an Asian accent. The key thing though is she's clearly supposed to be in Asian setting. If you want to say there's something unethical about this ad, it's that this is a xenophobic ad. In other words, this ad targets foreigners, not Asian-Americans.

Patranus

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2007
You don't think having the actress speak broken English, riding a bike through a rice paddy, with stereotypical music playing in the background is ridiculing Asians?

What do you think 99% of the population in China rides or lives?
(And it is quite an accomplishment for a poor person in China to learn ANY english)

First of all, this is a bad ad because clearly this is a native English speaker. She doesn't really even do a good impersonation of an Asian accent. The key thing though is she's clearly supposed to be in Asian setting. If you want to say there's something unethical about this ad, it's that this is a xenophobic ad. In other words, this ad targets foreigners, not Asian-Americans.

What, you expect a local political race to fly to China and film in an authentic rice field?

I guess every Jackie Chan movie was racist......

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Nationalism yes, racism no.

Good theme, but horrible execution resulted in a terrible ad. A smart person would never have let that on the air.

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002
What, you expect a local political race to fly to China and film in an authentic rice field?

The inauthentic part is the Asian girl is obviously American. If they're going to do this kind of ad I would think they would get someone who could do a better fake accent.

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005

We have a winner. The ad is xenophobic, not racist.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
Welcome to the conservative mind in the year 2012, where ridiculing the way people of a certain race talk in order to demean them is not considered racist.

The ad isn't even logical. It would have made sense to show a Hu Jintao or some high level Chinese official, not an Asian-American girl riding a bike in a rice paddy.

Last edited: