Terrible political ad during the superbowl in Michigan.

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Riparian

Jul 21, 2011
What stereotypes are those? That the Asians lending money to the US live in Asia? That they are not a native-English speaking country?

Do you know what the difference between race and nationality is?

The stereotype is in the way that the actress speaks. The specific stereotype is targeted at Asian Americans and in the past, that stereotype has lead to racism against Asian Americans. Yes, the ad is meant to show a person living in China but they chose an American actress and had her use a stereotypical accent of people from East Asian races. Why not have her speak in Chinese with subtitles if they are going for authenticity? Most likely because they wanted to play on the stereotype of what Americans think East Asians sound like when they speak English.

Anyways, if you read my post clearly, you would have seen that I stated that they played on a stereotype that has been used by Americans as a racial stereotype of East Asian immigrants. Do you think what Alexandra Wallace did was racist? To refresh your memory if you don't know or remember who she is:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/03/14/alexandra-wallace-racist-video_n_835505.html

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
Here are some other caricatures of Asians that are not racist according to ATPN apologists:

WWII-propaganda.png

us-propaganda-1.jpg

propaganda2teaser-big.jpg

tokio_kid_say.png

Last edited:

dawheat

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
I just saw an El Pollo Loco commercial with a hispanic man talking in broken english while discussing there new fish tacos.

Where are the 'race police' over that commercial?

Was his broken English intended to attack their tacos and keep people from buying them? Context does matter.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Major backlash for that racist ad and Pete Hoekstra's poll numbers are suffering...

Actress Lisa Chan apologizes...
"I am deeply sorry for any pain that the character I portrayed brought to my communities. As a recent college grad who has spent time working to improve communities and empower those without a voice, this role is not in any way representative of who I am. It was absolutely a mistake on my part and one that, over time, I hope can be forgiven. I feel horrible about my participation and I am determined to resolve my actions."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/15/lisa-chan-pete-hoekstra-apologizes_n_1280271.html

The ad seems to have backfired on Hoekstra. A new PPP poll shows Stabenow in the lead with 51 percent of the vote, and Hoekstra coming in a distant second with 37 percent. Another survey by PPP found 45 percent of voters in Michigan are now less likely to vote for Hoekstra because of the ad. 15 percent were more likely to vote for Pete.

I'm glad the voters realize and something I continue to say Republicans must stop pandering to racists.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Major backlash for that racist ad and Pete Hoekstra's poll numbers are suffering...

Actress Lisa Chan apologizes...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/15/lisa-chan-pete-hoekstra-apologizes_n_1280271.html

The ad seems to have backfired on Hoekstra. A new PPP poll shows Stabenow in the lead with 51 percent of the vote, and Hoekstra coming in a distant second with 37 percent. Another survey by PPP found 45 percent of voters in Michigan are now less likely to vote for Hoekstra because of the ad. 15 percent were more likely to vote for Pete.

I'm glad the voters realize and something I continue to say Republicans must stop pandering to racists.

To be fair to the guy he was never going to beat Stabenow in the first place, he just solidified it with this stupid ad. He figured shit may as well roll the dice and see what comes up... snake eyes...

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Haven't seen an apology from Hoekstra yet, but I don't think he's in the mood right now:D, and besides, whatever made him think that kind of ad was OK to run is surely making him wonder why there's all of this negative reaction to it. Well, him, his supporters and whoever else thought it was "a really good idea!" right up to the time it aired. lol

PC gone wild? Maybe, but Hoekstra is taking some swift kicks to the groin for it. Meh, it'll probably happen again some time before November, and it'll probably be a Repub that does it.....again.