Terrible NAS performance

Discussion in 'Memory and Storage' started by dagamer34, Jan 15, 2013.

1. dagamer34

dagamer34 Platinum Member

I've got a Synology DS412+ that I've been relatively happy with after owning it for a few months, but lately I've been pretty disappointed with the read/write performance (15-20MB/sec). I originally created a Synology Hybrid RAID volume with 1 2TB Western Digital Green drive and 2 2TB Seagate Barracuda Green drives, and performance was good but getting weaker as I filled it up (at one point I had 300GB free out of 3.4TB). I then added a 3TB Seagate 7200RPM drive to get some more free space (that took 24 hrs, oy) and now have about 35% free but my read/write speeds are still pretty terrible. Is there something I'm doing wrong? Should I have gone with a simple RAID 10 instead (requiring me to get another 3TB Seagate)? Or is it because I'm using Green drives?

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - Terrible performance Forum Date
    Terrible RAID 5 performance after upgrade Memory and Storage Nov 30, 2013
    Terrible random speeds on 510/are game files compressible? Memory and Storage Apr 21, 2011
    terrible performance in raid0 SSD Memory and Storage May 5, 2010
    Terrible slowdown on 4GB system, but super speedy with 2GB - 64bit OS. WTF!? Memory and Storage Aug 12, 2009
    USB speeds terrible Memory and Storage May 28, 2009

3. beginner99

beginner99 Diamond Member

Read-write performance with what? single. large file or moving a directory with tons of small files?

Green drives can easily sustain 90 MB/s in a single large file transfer so in that scenario they are not the limiting factor, the NAS is. However i you copy directories full of smaller files that can easily plunge down below 5 MB/s on a single green drive.

see also

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/nas/nas-reviews/31909-synology-ds412-diskstation-reviewed?start=1

were 20 MB/s is reported under certain scenarios.

4. xilience

xilience Member

I second beginner99's post. What you really want is an SSD cache for the NAS, then things will fly!

5. Deaks2

Deaks2 Member

I have found that many SOHO NASs are kinda pokey when it comes to sustained data transfers. My old D-Link DNS-323 used to slow to a crawl after a few GB had been transfered.

My new setup, a FreeNAS running on a G620 with 8GB of RAM and a ZFS-RAID setup always saturates my GigE home network. It is massive overkill for what I need, however, for $500 it kills most SOHO solutions.

6. dagamer34

Single large files 4-8GB in size.

7. zuffy

zuffy Senior member

Have you try enabling jumbo frame?

8. Lepard

Lepard Senior member

Can you share the specs of the FreeNas box you built? I have a DNS321 and it leaves A LOT to be desired.

9. dagamer34

Wow, that was it. Now back to 40-50MB/sec transfers. Thanks!

10. tracerbullet

tracerbullet Golden Member

I have one too. It's old, I wouldn't expect much.

Did you have options within that, and if so which did you choose? I have mine turned on, (D-Link DNS-321) and it's set at 5000, roughly the middle of the scale. Curious what you chose (if you had the option) and why?

11. Deaks2

Deaks2 Member

Sure thing.

Intel G620 CPU (Sandy Bridge)
    Gigabyte H61M-S2PV
    8 GB DDR3 PC10600
    3*1.5 TB HDDs in ZFS-RAIDZ1 (RAID 5 equivalent)
    30GB Kingston SSDNow ZFS cache drive
    CoolerMaster Elite 343 case
    CoolerMaster 420w PSU

It's running FreeNAS 8.2 x64 on a Kingston 4GB USB key.

I used the general performance tweaks you can find in the n00b parts of the FreeNAS forums, including a script that allows miniDLNA to auto-update the media server listings when a new file is dropped into the watched folders.

Running the following servers:
    Samba for CIFS
    miniDLNA for media sharing (incl. streaming to my mobile devices while away from home)
    iSCSI for backups from my 2 Win7 Home machines

Like I said before, it is massive overkill, however, now I don't get frustrated when I do need to transfer data to or from my media server. Going to or from an SSD equiped client, I can saturate my GigE link.

12. Yellowbeard

Yellowbeard Golden Member

Deaks2, just curious.....did you ever test with and without the ZFS cache drive? It's been a while since I tinkered with my array but IIRC, I could see very little difference with it vs without a cache drive. That was RAID-Z1 on ICH10-R with 5 x Hitachi 2TB drives, and 1 cache drive.

Of course, now my issue is that I am running 6 x 2TB Hitachis in RAID-Z2. I have no more connectors on my ICH10-R and I don't think the OS likes having the cache drive on a different controller.

#11 Yellowbeard, Jan 21, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  13. Deaks2

Deaks2 Member

I had an issue with long load times for directory listings (i.e.: MP3 folder with 20000+ files). I wrongly assumed it was a throughput issue and added the SSD cache, but it still sucked. I removed MSDOS permissions from the CIFS config and everythign was a-ok speedwise. I never bothered removing the SSD.

14. Yellowbeard

Ahhh....good call on the MSDOS permissions, I'll give that a try as I have that same issue.

I have been lazy but need to troubleshoot a speed issue. I'm gigabit all the way thru my network but I'm capped at about 100-125MB/s MAX either to or from a fast SSD RAID-0 array. The system has 16GB of RAM so I'm not sure where my bottleneck is occurring unless it's the cheap gigabit switch.

15. Deaks2

Deaks2 Member

Sounds to me like you're at GigE speeds... Unless you meant 100-125 mb/s instead of MB/s...

16. Yellowbeard

DOH! Brain was thinking in bits, but I typed bytes. So yeah, my speeds are good. 125MB/s is a VERY brief peak. Averages drop to about 800mb/s on big files.

I still need to test enabling/disabling the DOS permissions. Is the specific parameter you disabled the "SUPPORT DOS FILE ATTRIBUTES"?

It takes 5-10min for my directory listings to populate on my music and movie folders, esp the music. Of course, it is 17,825 folders/205,030 songs. That may have something to do with it.

17. Deaks2

Deaks2 Member

As soon as I turned off "Support DOS File Attributes" in the CIFS service directory speed reads were what I would consider normal. Around 5 seconds for a 20000+ file listing before cached, instantaneous after it's been cached.