Terrell Owens now an Eagle

Dec 27, 2001
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1760284&partnersite=espn

Let this be a lesson to all you kids out there. If you cry and whine enough, you can achieve your dreams.

The NFL and the players' union have reached a settlement on the Terrell Owens' grievance that will allow Owens to go to the Eagles, sources told ESPN on Tuesday.

Owens will travel to Philadelphia later today and will sign a long-term deal with the Eagles.

The Ravens will be compensated for voiding the Owens trade from the 49ers. They will be given a fifth-round choice (from the Eagles) for the inconvenience of losing Owens and having the trade voided.

Also under terms of the agreement, the 49ers will receive Eagles defensive end Brandon Whiting, a player whom 49ers general manager Terry Donahue considered for Owens before accepting a second-round choice from the Ravens.

For Owens, the trade to the Eagles fulfills his wish of going to Philadelphia. He worked out a $6 million a year deal with the Eagles minutes before the 49ers traded him to the Ravens. The 49ers granted Owens's agent, David Joseph, the chance to talk contract with any team while he was involved in trade discussions.

The Ravens completed the Owens trade two weeks ago and Owens protested because he wanted to go to Philadelphia. The case went to a special master Monday and a verdict was ready Tuesday until the settlement was reached.

Owens lost his ability to be a free agent because he missed a Feb. 21 deadline to file the paperwork to void the final three years of his contract. He claimed that the deadline was March 2, the start of free agency, based on the language in his contract. The Feb. 21 date came from a side agreement between the union and the NFL when the start date of free agency was changed to March 1.

The 49ers feel somewhat satisfied because they get a defensive end with starting experience.

"I like Brandon Whiting,'' 49ers coach Dennis Erickson told ESPN.com. "We needed a defensive end and we think he will help us.''

The 11th-hour settlement means the NFL's special master, Stephen Burbank, won't have to rule on Owens' grievance to become a free agent.

Information from ESPN.com's John Clayton and ESPN's Sal Paolantonio was used in this report.

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
If anyone can keep Owens in check, it'll be Andy Reid. Let's hope he can do it...

diamondgoat53

Sep 23, 2001
Originally posted by: HeroOfPellinor
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1760284&partnersite=espn

Let this be a lesson to all you kids out there. If you cry and whine enough, you can achieve your dreams.

As a Niners fan, I'm glad they got some depth in the secondary out of this.

The NFL and the players' union have reached a settlement on the Terrell Owens' grievance that will allow Owens to go to the Eagles, sources told ESPN on Tuesday.

Owens will travel to Philadelphia later today and will sign a long-term deal with the Eagles.

The Ravens will be compensated for voiding the Owens trade from the 49ers. They will be given a fifth-round choice (from the Eagles) for the inconvenience of losing Owens and having the trade voided.

Also under terms of the agreement, the 49ers will receive Eagles defensive end Brandon Whiting, a player whom 49ers general manager Terry Donahue considered for Owens before accepting a second-round choice from the Ravens.

For Owens, the trade to the Eagles fulfills his wish of going to Philadelphia. He worked out a $6 million a year deal with the Eagles minutes before the 49ers traded him to the Ravens. The 49ers granted Owens's agent, David Joseph, the chance to talk contract with any team while he was involved in trade discussions.

The Ravens completed the Owens trade two weeks ago and Owens protested because he wanted to go to Philadelphia. The case went to a special master Monday and a verdict was ready Tuesday until the settlement was reached.

Owens lost his ability to be a free agent because he missed a Feb. 21 deadline to file the paperwork to void the final three years of his contract. He claimed that the deadline was March 2, the start of free agency, based on the language in his contract. The Feb. 21 date came from a side agreement between the union and the NFL when the start date of free agency was changed to March 1.

The 49ers feel somewhat satisfied because they get a defensive end with starting experience.

"I like Brandon Whiting,'' 49ers coach Dennis Erickson told ESPN.com. "We needed a defensive end and we think he will help us.''

The 11th-hour settlement means the NFL's special master, Stephen Burbank, won't have to rule on Owens' grievance to become a free agent.

Information from ESPN.com's John Clayton and ESPN's Sal Paolantonio was used in this report.

whine and cry? he was RIGHT!!!! the language in his contract superceded the CBA. period. he was right, his agent was right. The NFL was wrong and they knew it, so they allowed this deal to happen. just keep reading the rest of the day as the real info comes out. just because you pre-judged the situation knowing NONE of the facts doesn't make him a whiner. it does, however, make you one.

diamondgoat53

Sep 23, 2001
Originally posted by: MaxDepth
I wonder what the verdict would have been?

the trade was to be invalidated. he had until March 5 to void his contract. His contract superceded the CBA. the testimony was 100% in favor of Owens.

Lyfer

Diamond Member
May 28, 2003
So I guess there are exceptions to deadlines if you're a superstar? :disgust:

BigSmooth

Lifer
Aug 18, 2000

Am I missing something? It looks like they picked up a DE, so I don't see how that will help their secondary. :confused:

diamondgoat53

Sep 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Lyfer
So I guess there are exceptions to deadlines if you're a superstar? :disgust:

THE DEADLINE WAS NOT VALID IN HIS CASE DUE TO THE LANGUAGE IN HIS CONTRACT!!!! TRY READING BEFORE YOU GET "DISGUSTED."

anxi80

Lifer
Jul 7, 2002
eagles were originally trying to give the niners james trash for t.o., correct?

TekChik

Jan 15, 2003
either way, good riddance. knowing his personality, even if he was right about the contract, he still would've created a stink about something...

this Ravens fan is breathing a sigh of relief.

edit: ...and just so i'm not put under the gun for technicalities...no, i do not PERSONALLY know Terrell Owens. by "knowing his personality", i meant from what you can tell by his previous actions.

Dec 27, 2001
Originally posted by: BigSmooth

Am I missing something? It looks like they picked up a DE, so I don't see how that will help their secondary. :confused:

My bad. In my wishful thinking I read defensive back. :(

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
WHoooohoooooooo Eagles will be sick this year if they can resign Buckhalter ;) Finally the "MAN" D.Nabb has a viable target to hit!!!

:beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer: for all today!

gistech1978

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2002

if a DE is constantly putting pressure on a QB that tends to help out your secondary.
depends on who he is and if he can or not is the question.

Feldenak

Lifer
Jan 31, 2003
Originally posted by: SP33Demon
WHoooohoooooooo Eagles will be sick this year if they can resign Buckhalter ;) Finally the "MAN" D.Nabb has a viable target to hit!!!

:beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer: for all today!

They'll still choke when push comes to shove.

Dec 27, 2001
Originally posted by: anxi80

Yeah, but they've got good young, and affordable, talent at WR...especially Brandon Lloyd. Means they have money for other things.

BigSmooth

Lifer
Aug 18, 2000
Originally posted by: gistech1978

if a DE is constantly putting pressure on a QB that tends to help out your secondary.
depends on who he is and if he can or not is the question.
He had said it would add "depth" to the secondary. Looks like that was a typo, though. ;)

anxi80

Lifer
Jul 7, 2002
Originally posted by: anxi80
Yeah, but they've got good young, and affordable, talent at WR...especially Brandon Lloyd. Means they have money for other things.
thank you very much for clearing that up.