Terra Nova Cancelled

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
I can't say I am surprised, it is fox after all. Fox has always been sort of bipolar when it comes to scifi shows. Fox starts them, then kills them if they do not become the #1 show on tv.

The show had its issues but it was something different to watch that wasn't based on reality tv.
http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/terra-nova-fox-tv-series-cancelled-22567/
It looks like Terra Nova is staying cancelled. Following FOX’s decision to cancel the TV series, 20th Century Fox TV started to shop the show around to other potential outlets, including Netflix.

The studio and Netflix apparently tried to hammer out a deal for season two but couldn’t come to terms. The prospect of another venue picking up Terra Nova is still a possibility since the actors are still under contract until June. However, the chances of anyone saving the show has always been a remote possibility at best, especially given the expensive production values and special effects. Each episode supposedly costs more than $4 million each.

According to TV Guide, the production costs weren’t the only factor in the show not being picked up by Netflix however. Apparently the international broadcasters, whose funds helped to pay for the first season, weren’t crazy about the prospect of the DVD-streaming service having the show as an exclusive. Without the heft of a major TV network behind the series, some international buyers were reluctant to commit to a second season.

Tobolo

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
You know the production had to be ridiculous. I watched the show and wanted to know what would happen, but it reminded me too much of Lost. Wait six years and then BAM shows over and still no one knows what the hell is going on.

Zedtom

Platinum Member
Nov 23, 2001
Family friendly soap opera with a little bit of testosterone mixed in. Ho hum drama with the occasional dinosaur to delight the kiddies. Bye.

DesiPower

Lifer
Nov 22, 2008
Nope. The show wasn't officially cancelled till netflix passed it up.
Technically they have until june to bring it back, but I don't see that happening .

yeah.. looking for a "new home"... you know that never works... Enterprise never found one... ppl even took to the streets, SciFi considered it for a while... its sad... Sci-Fis were big back in the days when NASA was active... not anymore...

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
I never watched the show but the premise made me laugh. Humans fuck up earth so bad that they can't live on it anymore. Solution: Go back in time and fuck it up even earlier.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
I never watched the show but the premise made me laugh. Humans fuck up earth so bad that they can't live on it anymore. Solution: Go back in time and fuck it up even earlier.

:thumbsup: while getting chased by CGI Barney the Dinosaur

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
it started out with a cool premise, but it was a little too "monster of the week" for me and didn't focus enough on the interesting plot elements.

Jadow

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2003
TNG season 1 wasn't any better than Terra Nova season 1.

I like the show and think it was definitely better towards the end. Way better than that POS Alcatraz.

A lot of the costs were sunk costs, you only need to build the main base camp, vehicles, guns, etc.. one time. So cost per episode would have gone down had they ran more episodes.

But for the ratings it was getting I guess it was still too expensive. They should not have made it in New Zealand. Should have done it in the US or Canada.

DesiPower

Lifer
Nov 22, 2008
TNG season 1 wasn't any better than Terra Nova season 1.

I like the show and think it was definitely better towards the end. Way better than that POS Alcatraz.

A lot of the costs were sunk costs, you only need to build the main base camp, vehicles, guns, etc.. one time. So cost per episode would have gone down had they ran more episodes.

But for the ratings it was getting I guess it was still too expensive. They should not have made it in New Zealand. Should have done it in the US or Canada.

LOL Agreed, Alcatraz is most laughable evar. Its like the creator though lets create another CSI or L&O, but then they relaized that there were a million already out there... so here's an idea, lets make the criminals come out of some kind of stasis and give it a Sci-fi touch... most pathetic ever. I hope it dies a horrible death even before the end 1st season.

Canun

Apr 1, 2006
Knowing FOX's rep, I didn't even watch the show. If it had lasted a few seasons, I might have looked into picking it up.

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
The reason I didn't start watching this show is because Fox wasn't going to manage it properly therefore there was no point in investing in any storyline.

shrug

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
It had too many stoopid moments.

When the black chick ran out of the armored car, straight into the vicious, bloodthirsty dinousaurs and was just kind of knocked out I knew I wasn't long for that show.

They went WAY too far towards the "family angle".

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
it started out with a cool premise, but it was a little too "monster of the week" for me and didn't focus enough on the interesting plot elements.

Personally, I thought it needed more dinosaurs and less of the Lost-esque plot.

Anyway, I somewhat enjoyed the show, I'm more just irritated that I put a year of hour long episodes in only to have it canceled. I never watched new shows from their onset, I usually pick them up later and catch up. The past two years I've tried, and literally every new show I've watched has gotten canceled, so I'm done with that plan.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
yeah.. looking for a "new home"... you know that never works... Enterprise never found one... ppl even took to the streets, SciFi considered it for a while... its sad... Sci-Fis were big back in the days when NASA was active... not anymore...

Yeah, looking for a new home never works for shows. Especially not shows like Stargate SG-1 and stuff.

Didn't Star Trek Voyager progress from Fox to UPN later on in its life?

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
It had too many stoopid moments.

When the black chick ran out of the armored car, straight into the vicious, bloodthirsty dinousaurs and was just kind of knocked out I knew I wasn't long for that show.

They went WAY too far towards the "family angle".

That was my problem with the show. Way too much time was spent with the family. I also was getting a little tired of everyone getting along too much. Even the opposing sides had a whole “if only our jobs didn’t have to make us enemies , we’d be the bestest buds” vibe. While I’m not looking for a completely jacked up crew where I’m rooting for the bad guys (like in BSG where I really did find myself agreeing with the cylons and thinking humans should be killed off) I do like to see some tension in my show… well more interesting tension than the “will he ask my daughter out?”

Last edited:

darom

Dec 3, 2002
Another show that deserved to be canned is "Fallen Skies". Fake looking CGI'ed aliens, low budget sets and crappy acting - all this together should have helped it die quick death. Somehow they managed to bring Season 2 in June.

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001

SciFi is a hard sell now. Between Terra Nova cancelled and probably are going to see Fringe and Alcatraz cancelled. That is 3 Sci-Fi shows gone.