Teracopy/copy handler windows 7 shell integration issues...

Status
Not open for further replies.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
I've been trying to get copy handler working with a more or less fresh install of win 7 sp1, but for some reason it won't act as the default handler for files, when I set it to do all the copying from copy/paste/drag drop it just ignores it completely. In xp it used to intercept everything. Now best I can do is set clipboard monitoring on and it will bring up its own file destination window once it detects a copy, but that is a poor solution.

Weird thing is even after I uninstall it, windows seems to remember the settings I used last for it when I tried to reinstall. For instance I set the exe to run as administrator, that was checked off when I did a reinstall, some other program settings remained as well, not sure where they were hidden. This happened even after I dug into the application data or whatever folder to kill any copy handler folders.

Regedit doesn't seem to bring up any copy handler entries, not obviously named atleast.

In the end I tried teracopy, not my first choice since it doesn't allow for copy queue control as well as copy handler, it too failed. I registered it as shell extension and made it the default file handler but the only thing that worked was to manually select teracopy in the context menu to bring up its own destination folder pop up window.

The only things I have installed are a few programs, windows security essentials and such. Steam etc...

Anyone know whats goin on?

Last edited by a moderator:

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
ok its gotten weirder, installing copy handler again it seems to ignore my settings now.
set to startup with windows, it doesn't:p

oh yea this is win7 32bit

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
Eh removed all entries from registry manually and it finally works.
copy handler still works better than teracopy though, better queue management.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
wierd, ive been using terracopy with win7 for a year or more with no issues, 64 bit though.

williamt31

Sep 6, 2011
There are a couple things I've noticed about Teracopy in Windows 7, one is with version 2.2. It errors out with a memory error; Usually when I'm copying/moving in the tens of thousands of files. Also I've noticed it doesn't seem to handle file ownership/uac issues. Once I've taken ownership of a batch of files usually it will work but teracopy should be smart enough to give a proper error for that. What my friend and I've done was dig up an older version 2.12 and so far haven't had any issues with it.

drbits

Jan 8, 2014
TeraCopy 2.3 has fixed the memory error, and it fixed some of the ownership issues.

Please don't bump old threads
-ViRGE

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.