Tennessee teacher taught a Ta-Nehisi Coates essay and a poem about white privilege. He was fired for it

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
At issue was Hawn assigning the essay “The First White President” by Ta-Nehisi Coates to students in his Contemporary Issues class

“[Donald Trump’s] political career began in advocacy of birtherism, that modern recasting of the old American precept that Black people are not fit to be citizens of the country they built,” Coates writes of the former president. “It is often said that Trump has no real ideology, which is not true — his ideology is white supremacy, in all its truculent and sanctimonious power.”
Is what Coates said true? What's wrong with the truth? If anyone wants to claim it isn't true on what did Trump launch political bonafides? BTW - the class was contemporary issues. Why would this be inappropriate for the classroom?

A Tennessee teacher taught a Ta-Nehisi Coates essay and a poem about white privilege. He was fired for it (msn.com)

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
From the article:
Several pointed out that the case was reminiscent of the Scopes trial, which neared its 100-year anniversary on Saturday. Also known as the Scopes Monkey Trial, science teacher John Scopes was prosecuted in 1925 for teaching evolution at a public school in Tennessee.
I wish I could say we've progressed a lot in 100 years, but this is a sad, sobering reminder of just how far we have to go.

Where are all those free speech advocates?
It's sad that a good teacher is having their career upended over critical thinking.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
I’m pretty sure the other thread established that Conservative outrage against CRT has nothing to do with the actual theory and everything to do with waging a Christian Anglo Saxon culture war against diversity and inclusion.

The net effect of this campaign is black educators and administrators being fired, intimidated to resign, or resigning in protest.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
Calling racists racist is the real racism.

And isn't this the state that just passed a law against teaching white kids things that might make them feel bad? If not, it's definitely one of the yokel trumper states, and since they're basically a hive mind it makes no difference since it'll happen eventually.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
At issue was Hawn assigning the essay “The First White President” by Ta-Nehisi Coates to students in his Contemporary Issues class

Is what Coates said true? What's wrong with the truth? If anyone wants to claim it isn't true on what did Trump launch political bonafides? BTW - the class was contemporary issues. Why would this be inappropriate for the classroom?

A Tennessee teacher taught a Ta-Nehisi Coates essay and a poem about white privilege. He was fired for it (msn.com)
He was supposed to cover the hard issues facing us today.
Transgenders in high school sports.
All the ways Persons of Color are protesting incorrectly (spoiler alert: any protest is incorrect)
Which AR would Jesus have used to smite the Romans?

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
in all honesty he's probably be better off in a not so backwards locale. tennessee is not known for forward thinking.

Reactions: hal2kilo

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
From the article:

I wish I could say we've progressed a lot in 100 years, but this is a sad, sobering reminder of just how far we have to go.

It's sad that a good teacher is having their career upended over critical thinking.
You were progressing until about 2000, then came 9/11, Iraq/Afghanistan war, Patriot Act added to all the Draconian drug/confiscation laws, used to enrichen your judge dredd police force, trillions of dollars wasted on the war on terror while thousands lost their lives and millions of living wage jobs outsourced, then the 2008 recession that bankrupted many while few if any of the bankers behind it went to jail.

Where you are headed is serfdom and idiocracy because you choked on your own greed like all failed empires, while the modern day Visigoths (Russians and Chinese) are eagerly waiting at the gate to deliver that final blow.

• Haha

m8d

Nov 5, 2012

truth.jpg

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
From the article:

With your state rejecting vaccines en mass, the first thought that came to me, oh yea, Tennessee the state with the famous Monkey Trial. Keep up the regression!

Lezunto

Oct 24, 2020
Republicans will joyfully use incidents such as this to push Gregg Abbott's move to abolish public education.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
He went into a racial theme, which is unacceptable in a school essay. I believe that a school should be tolerant.
Racists don't believe in tolerance. Asking people to be tolerant of intolerance surfaces often for one reason. The only tolerance intolerant people want is when they begin to face and to feel the stigma of intolerance they only want others to feel.

ASK THE COMMUNITY