Tennessee public schools now required by law to display 'In God We Trust' motto

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Any god you want to trust.

in_cthulhu_we_trust_throw_pillow.jpg

0302ea92c2f47569b29f60863f54b300--married-life-spaghetti.jpg

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
The Mike Pence crowd and the Jeff Sessions crowd often quote biblical scripture to justify that WE ARE BETTER THAN YOU ARE ideology.
Yet if they ever succeeded in actually banning abortion YOU KNOW the Jeff Sessions and the Mike Pence's would ensure access to safe abortions should THEIR underaged teen/preteen son or daughter or relative need an abortion to avoid scandal.
We all know that Sessions and Pence would have some secret little access to a safe abortion hidden away for them and only them. The elite. The privileged.

God forbid little Jimmy Sessions screwed up his future by knocking up the 14 year old neighbor girl.
Or underaged Sally Pence found herself PG and.... MOM, DAD, HOW CAN I GO TO THE PROM IF I'M FAT?

So, whether it's some nonsense "motto" or their access to abortion, no matter what the fundies do or preach you can be assured it will apply ONLY to you and NEVER to them.
They wear their religion on their sleeve, and treat their faith as a motto.
But dare anyone screw around with the Pence's or the likes of, you will never live to tell about it.

They have the money and the power to make sure little Sally has her abortion, and little Jimmy's future is protected.
They always stick their little "mottos" in our face, and say screw what the peasants want or think.
After all... THEY ARE ALWAYS BETTER THAN YOU ARE.
We, the peasant scum.

Last edited:

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
I would remind all that what you are seeing from organized religion, and by that I'm referring to those denominations that predominantly identify themselves as being Christian, is the outward demonstration of the "great falling away" as described by Jesus.

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Well, there is a pretty obvious constitutional problem here, so yeah.

There's a constitutional concern, but I wouldn't say problem. The first amendment bars establishment of national religion and restriction on the free exercise of religion. Does the motto do either?

Apart from the letter of the constitution, I think the principle of absolute separation of church and state is good. It's clear this measure has negligible actual effect but instead is symbolic protest against that principle.

Nov 29, 2006
Do people have nothing better to do than to sue the school? If it was in reference to any other religions then I doubt there would be a problem.

What religion is it in reference to? "In God We Trust" could be any religion. Any yes people would be pissed if it was any specific religion on a public building.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
It's almost like the Republican politicians are revving up their base with stupid bullshit before the midterms or something.

If things look really bad for the Reps, the Supremes can always take up another gay rights case in the next month or two. That always works.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
What religion is it in reference to? "In God We Trust" could be any religion. Any yes people would be pissed if it was any specific religion on a public building.

It is exclusionary. It intentionally excludes atheists and any religion that is either polytheistic or does not have a deity. It is also a pretty obvious reference to the Judeo-Christian religions since they are, as far as I know, the only religions that uses that phrase. It would be like putting 'Allah Akbar' on the side of the building and saying it could mean any religion because all religions think their god is great.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
What's weird is not that they made a law that you could if your school wanted to put up a sign but you MUST put up a sign in a prominent area. What defines a sign or a prominent area?

Nov 29, 2006
It is exclusionary. It intentionally excludes atheists and any religion that is either polytheistic or does not have a deity. It is also a pretty obvious reference to the Judeo-Christian religions since they are, as far as I know, the only religions that uses that phrase. It would be like putting 'Allah Akbar' on the side of the building and saying it could mean any religion because all religions think their god is great.

Well yes i know this, but this is Incorruptible were dealing with lol
I don't want to see any mention of god, gods, religious faith on any public buildings. They have private buildings they can decorate up however the please.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
I would invite the fundamentalists who feel like they have a right to push their views on others to show me in the bible where Jesus forced his teachings on the public. As an actual Christian I cannot find any such doctrine in the bible plus Jesus always taught his followers to respect others which this clearly doesn't follow.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
Well they do live next door to the Ark Encounter so perhaps they felt obligated to rise up.:eek::p

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
I think at this point, it's best to just write off red state kids and focus on automation to take their future place in the workforce.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Do people have nothing better to do than to sue the school? If it was in reference to any other religions then I doubt there would be a problem.

Oh please, if the state required every public school to hang something that said "In Allah we trust" you would be the first to throw a hissy fit and everyone in this thread, after some teasing and linking to threads like this, would agree with you that it was bullshit.