Tennessee preacher/County sheriff detective calls for execution of LGBTQ people

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

PJFrylar

Apr 17, 2016
Fellow is seriously fucked up. Every case he ever worked on needs to be reviewed.
I have thought about it. A healthy male or female that thinks he or she is the opposite sex has a serious problem. Healthy people don't suddenly decide that they need permanent surgical alterations and life long hormone therapy to be happy. The suicide rate among trans gendered people is also high. We're treating mental illness with surgery. Now it appears we're going to start this process on children, a group not noted for their well thought out decisions.
There is no difference between sex and gender.
That we treat mental illness with surgery is the real crime here.

Yeah, it is pretty fucked up that people think that people of the LBGTQ community are mentally ill. Really shameful.

Last edited:

DrDoug

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2014
Yeah, it is pretty fucked up that people think that people of the LBGTQ community are mentally ill. Really shameful.

I think the mentally ill people are those who cannot accept the fact that when it comes to humans the square peg doesn't always want to fit in the square hole. Some just look at the birth sex and believe that is it, that there's no further discussion necessary. Others back that up with the guy in the sky and his kid who threw away his life so his believers could hate on others who don't follow their rules. The worst part is that the people they love to hate on have absolutely no effect on their lives. None, yet they take it as a personal affront that they must confront and fight against.

These are the same people who want to keep the government out of their own lives and yet use the power of that same government to oppress those they hate.

Paladin3

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2004
I was sent to Bible study as a kid and spent my share of time in church growing up. I took a Bible as Literature class in high school because I wanted a better understanding of what the Bible actually said. When my family was young, my wife and I took our first two children to two different non-denominational churches on and off. It was never a very good fit for me personally because I always felt in the back of my mind that it was all a fairy tail.

I spent most of my 20s and 30s trying to reconcile the world around me with the Biblical teachings of Christianity, but I always came back to the same questions: If God is omnipotent, loving and has a plan for us all, how does that mesh with the evil we see in the world? How does a loving father allow innocent children to be abused and killed if he has the power to stop it? How many prayers does it take to cure a good Christian of cancer? What kind of plan does he have for a carload of family members killed by a drunk driver?

The only logical answer I could come up with is that He is letting us flounder and try to make a go of things on our own so we learn a lesson. Kind of the same way a loving parent might let a rebellious child try and fail so they will figure out they can't do things on their own. After all, we did disobey God and eat from the treat of knowledge rather than be happy idiots in the garden of Eden. Maybe all the suffering in this world is worth eternal joy in Heaven after we die? Right? Maybe?

But the Bible is full of too many contradictions, illogical impossibilities, archaic rules and plain old evil ideas. It takes a huge suspension of disbelief, logic and scientific ideals to embrace religion, and it's as if religion was designed to keep us from thinking and to accept our position in the world. The idea that your reward will come after you die sounds like the biggest scam ever perpetrated on mankind, frankly.

And when then see religion used to justify hatred and to hurt the innocent among us it just cements for me that there are only two possibilities: Either God is an asshole who likes seeing us suffer for defying him, or he probably doesn't exist and we are the assholes, and some of us like treating our fellow man like shit. I'm going with the later until God shows himself. And if he does he will have some explaining to do.

EDIT: Or a third possibility could be that we simply don't fully understand the nature of our existence and who or what may be out there and are making things up to satisfy our own need to know. This would explain why there are so many different flavors of religion. While the existence of the Christian god doesn't seem very plausible, IMHO, that doesn't mean I can say for sure what is out there or that there is no god at all. This is why I will consider myself skeptically agnostic until I see some scientific evidence of what's "out there."

Last edited:

DrDoug

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2014
If there is a God, Heaven and Hell then this planet is probably Hell. :D One of Satan's demons runs the religion racket here in Hell by convincing some that they can escape this "life" and live forever in Heaven by leading others to believe the same and if only they all believe in and worship God/Jesus, only to consign their souls back to Hell when they die just to do it all over again. That would explain reincarnation...lol!

The rest of us get to endure the death, pain and suffering that these people create for everyone who does not believe as they do. This makes as much sense to me as religion itself.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
If there is a God, Heaven and Hell then this planet is probably Hell. :D One of Satan's demons runs the religion racket here in Hell by convincing some that they can escape this "life" and live forever in Heaven by leading others to believe the same and if only they all believe in and worship God/Jesus, only to consign their souls back to Hell when they die just to do it all over again. That would explain reincarnation...lol!

The rest of us get to endure the death, pain and suffering that these people create for everyone who does not believe as they do. This makes as much sense to me as religion itself.

well christianity is the only religion that tells you upfront you can do horrible things to other people and be "forgiven" in the end. Some people think Christianity itself is actually a trick of the devil to get people to do evil things.

DrDoug

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2014
well christianity is the only religion that tells you upfront you can do horrible things to other people and be "forgiven" in the end. Some people think Christianity itself is actually a trick of the devil to get people to do evil things.

As a thoroughly lapsed Catholic and former (unmolested!) altar boy, I can tell you that one of the reasons I lapsed was the confession/get out of Hell card that I saw played every weekend. If you're a bad ass mofo you can sin all of your life and on your deathbed just confess your sins, truly repent and Heaven is yours plus you save 10%! If you only pretend to be a bad ass and yet want to fit in with your peers/neighbors while being able to sin as necessary, then you have to go with the weekly absolution plan.

Oh, and cough up the cash for the preacher. Forgiveness isn't free on that plan!

Reactions: DarthKyrie

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Probably not. I think he's a kid on summer break and we're the science experiment that he got a C+ on and then tossed in his closet.

I tend to agree, and this is how usually paraphrase the stark difference between the old testament and new. By the end of the old testament, the God of hubris and vengeance had grown tired and his pet project, and handed it down to his kiddo. Kinda like how I stopped playing with Lego's but saved them all and gave them to my kids 20 years later. Sure, once in a while I come back and dump the bins and mess around, I can only smite things with fire and brimstone so many times. And since I handed off management duties to my kids, i make them clean it up.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Bible isn't shy about terror, violence, torture and slavery. No surprise there are still holy rollers that take it way too far, this guy isn't saying anything I haven't heard from outraged baptists in the Panhandle.

Matthew 10:34-35
"Do not think that I have come to send peace on earth. I did not come to send peace, but a sword. I am sent to set a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law"

Seems christian to me too...

Last edited:

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
You prove to me your god exists, with real physical evidence, and that he sent you to educate us on what is and isn't a sin and MAYBE we will hear you out. Better yet, tell him to come speak to us in person.

That mandate does and never should exist. You don't have to believe in someone's god but neither are they compelled to toe your line. What is required is civil behavior towards others and there's not enough of that to go around.

Nov 25, 2013
Matthew 10:14
14If anyone will not welcome you or listen to your words, leave that home or town and shake the dust off your feet.

Seems christian to me...

Are Christians not supposed to care for their fellow humans?

"Why do you feel you are that important for me to care about you?"

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
As a conservative and christian. It saddens me to see anyone wish death upon a group of people. On the flip side. I have this slight feeling my viewpoints are likely "too extreme" for other groups of people. Chances are, I wouldn't be extended such grace.
As a liberal and not a Christian by faith I would agree you are in fact likely to run into the same sort of bigotry all too typical of those who imagine themselves to be conservative and Christian as well, but that does not mean it would not sadden some of us who do not share your faith. But while I would extend to you my judgment on your actions alone and not the brand name you wear, I could not, in my use of the words ‘extend you grace’. That to me is a miracle whose actions and manifestation I cannot ken and over which I have no control. Grace, in short, in my opinion, is personal. It is a state of awakening to the existence of universal love that lights up within one's own being. The love of God is just one name for this but it is a name that refers to something real. And you don't need anybody else's permission to feel it. It cannot be willed but neither can it be denied.

Last edited:

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
With as many "reasonable" people who have a poor concept of Christianity, it is small wonder there are losers like the cop the story is about.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
how can i express to know what a god i dont think exists thinks? You dont know what you are talking about. You are just looking for weak ass jabs.

I don't care what you think if you do at all about such matters. The fact is that none of us know what we are talking about at a certain level as demonstrated by thousands of years of history and no concrete answers. But I know that when one blanket labels a group of which one knows little is merely a bigot. One does not say "forgive me" and it's done not by any means but understanding the concept of repentance associated with the forgiveness of sin but like Republicans and Muslims actual understanding isn't wanted.

This clown is the antithesis of what he claims to be, a Christian, but you should understand why that is if you are qualified to condemn all of them.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
I don't care what you think if you do at all about such matters. The fact is that none of us know what we are talking about at a certain level as demonstrated by thousands of years of history and no concrete answers. But I know that when one blanket labels a group of which one knows little is merely a bigot. One does not say "forgive me" and it's done not by any means but understanding the concept of repentance associated with the forgiveness of sin but like Republicans and Muslims actual understanding isn't wanted.

This clown is the antithesis of what he claims to be, a Christian, but you should understand why that is if you are qualified to condemn all of them.

christianity was made by the devil. Prove me wrong.