Temperature question

SickBoy5000

Sep 18, 2000
I wandered away from Intel chips for a long time now and am not real sure on what a good temperature for one to run at is. I have water cooling, but it's not the greatest solution. I have a Thermaltake Aquarius II water cooling solution. My processor is a p4 2.8 with the 800 mhz bus and all that jazz. It runs at a wonderfully hot 50 C. I'd appreciate some input

Duvie

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
Temperatures can really vary from motherboard manufacturers so tell me what mobo you have....

50c at idle is a bit high no matter what board you have....loading it (really loading it for several hours) would probably result in mid to upper 60's plus...

Actaully 50c with water cooling that better be a load temp as that would be pathetic for a water cooling setup even on the notoriously high temperature reporting of an abit mobo....

If it is 50c load I would think that is fine....Do you plan on ocing any???

My 2.4c at load with my decent aftermarket coolr on an abit mobo reads 52c and at 3.5ghz I hit into 61c full load of 2 instances of prime95.....

SickBoy5000

Sep 18, 2000
I have an abit ic7. I run seti all the time, too. That might have a little to do with it, but I'm just not sure. Also, I want to overclock it, and I don't want to burn it out.

Duvie

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
So is that 50c a load temp with SETI running??? 2 instances of SETI maybe???

I would think you maybe fine if that is a SETI load at 50c...Bumping it up to 3.3 to 3.4c may make it rise 8c but even at 58c that is still good on an Abit which is widely known to report higher temps then all other systems....ONly to be out done by the outrageously low temps of the ASUS mobos....

Go get an ASUS mobo if you want to feel good about not likely to be accurate temps....JOke!!!

SickBoy5000

Sep 18, 2000
hehe...now comes the question of what I should set the voltage and frequency at to attain stability at those speeds.

I only have 1 instance running...maybe I'll just save up and get a different water cooler.