temp a little high when Overclocking E6300 & Asus P5B deluxe

clkio

Mar 26, 2005
like the topic says, I got a E6300 & Asus P5B- deluxe, its currently running at 2.65ghz. The idle temp is 49-51 C and full load is 56-57, is that normal, or is it too high? thx guys

myocardia

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2003
That's a bit too high, for 2.6 Ghz. But then again, since you're probably using the stock heatsink, it's normal. Do you have good case airflow?

clkio

Mar 26, 2005
Originally posted by: myocardia
That's a bit too high, for 2.6 Ghz. But then again, since you're probably using the stock heatsink, it's normal. Do you have good case airflow?

I am actually using the Zalman CNPS9500 not the stock heatsink, and yes I have a front 120mm fan pushin air in, and abank fan pushin air out, I think i applied too much of the thermal paste and thats casuing the problem, but I a not sure tho. Keep the suggestions comin in guys, thx

crydee

Jun 2, 2006
where is the 120mm fan in the back? what case? What's your ambient temps? Put your back fan on med/high and your front 2 120mm on low.

clkio

Mar 26, 2005
Originally posted by: crydee
where is the 120mm fan in the back? what case? What's your ambient temps? Put your back fan on med/high and your front 2 120mm on low.

the 120mm fan in the back is right under the power supply, I am using a thermal take armor jr. its set to high, and the front fan is also set to high. ambient temps for mobo is 35. hard drive is 30, and the case is 39.

crydee

Jun 2, 2006
Maybe your room is a little hot. You're saying the case is around 102F. Do you have the Zalman pushing the air toward the rear exhaust fan too right? If you think you applied thermal paste wrong clean it and follow the directions on the Artic Silver website.

clkio

Mar 26, 2005
ya, I really do think I applied the thermal paste wrong, I just applied it all over the place, I am going to reapply it right now and see what happens. And yes, the zalam is pusing the air to the rear fan and out of the case.

clkio

Mar 26, 2005
Originally posted by: khurios2000
does your cpu IHS has good contact with the cpu heatsink/cooler?>

yes it does. I have reapplied the thermal, its idling at 47-48 and load at 52. It's still kinda high, isn't?

clkio

Mar 26, 2005
I downloaded a CPU Stability Test that ran for half an hour and the cpu temp went to 58 under burn which is not bad for full load , but it idles at 49, which is a problem. most people are idling at high 30s low 40s, I dunno why this is happening.

clkio

Mar 26, 2005
all I did was increase the FSB to 375 and the voltage went to 1.4 didn't touch the SpeedStep or C1E

bjp999

Nov 2, 2006
Originally posted by: clkio
like the topic says, I got a E6300 & Asus P5B- deluxe, its currently running at 2.65ghz. The idle temp is 49-51 C and full load is 56-57, is that normal, or is it too high? thx guys
What program are you using to monitor temperatures? Are these core temperatures or CPU temperatures? (Unless you're getting a temp for each core you're monitoring the more generic and lower CPU temp.) I'd recommend getting Intel's Thermal Analysis Tool (TAT) to monitor coretemps.

My CPU temp is now at 29C and coretemps at 46C and 42C at idle (E6600 at 400FSB). If you're quoting coretemps, I think you're in okay shape. But if you're quoting CPU temps you're way hot (your updated temps are better but still on the hot side). I am making the assumption that you are quoting the CPU temp with my suggestions.

The CPU temp is a combination of these things (in no particular order)
1 - How well you apply the TIM (paste)
2 - How good your TIM is (AS5 is about the best except for liquid metal)
3 - How good a HSF you have
4 - How flat and clean your HSF contact area is
5 - How flat and clean you CPU contact area is
6 - How good your case cooling is / ambient temperature
7 - Properly installed HSF - some of them are tricky to lock down

The amount of paste you need varies with the flatness and contact between you HSF and CPU. When you apply, make sure that you give a little back and forth twist to grind the stuff into the crevices and get good spread. I suggest that people fully install the HSF, even run the computer for a while, and then plan to disassemble and inspect the spread. This is the only way to determine if you've used close to the proper amount. If it looks good, clean up and reapply the same amount, otherwise adjust accordingly. Every time you remove the HSF you need to clean up and reapply - otherwise you get air bubbles - not a good thing.

If I were you and convninced that my paste was applied well, and HSF installed properly then I would consider lapping my HSF. Lapping the CPU voids the warranty and I'd do as the last resort. Lapping your HSF could have a sizeable positive impact on temps. Remember that after lapping the amount of paste you use should be considerably lower.

Good luck.

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
Look at the zillion other threads on every forum out there about the same mobo.

Those temps are fine.

clkio

Mar 26, 2005
I am using intlel's TAT, its reading 48 and 47 most of the times. so I think it is the core temp

Accord99

Platinum Member
Jul 2, 2001
all I did was increase the FSB to 375 and the voltage went to 1.4 didn't touch the SpeedStep or C1E

If the voltage is set to Auto, the board will automatically start over-volting. Try setting it to 1.325v, which is the usual default voltage. Some of the newer C2Ds now have lower default voltages though, you can use CoreTemp to tell you the factory set default voltag.e

http://www.thecoolest.zerobrains.com/CoreTemp/

clkio

Mar 26, 2005
I will try that as soon as I get home. I also had another question, when I turn on the PC, it turns on then off for about 2 seconds, and comes back on to boot, why is this happenin? its been doing this since I got it and before I touched the overclocking.

joebjoe

Oct 22, 2006
I think you temps are fine also. bjp999 reported temps at core of 46 and 42. Mine are same. Im using e6400 at 3.2Ghz.

All your other temps are good, MB,HD. CPU is a lil higher than expected but not much. If you were low 40s Id say it was completely normal. You could stand to drop a few.

Maybe its as simple as making sure the cpu fan is seated well. Your case fans are quality 120MM. Maybe get some Yate Loons.

Well good luck

bjp999

Nov 2, 2006
Originally posted by: joebjoe
I think you temps are fine also. bjp999 reported temps at core of 46 and 42. Mine are same. Im using e6400 at 3.2Ghz.

All your other temps are good, MB,HD. CPU is a lil higher than expected but not much. If you were low 40s Id say it was completely normal. You could stand to drop a few.

Maybe its as simple as making sure the cpu fan is seated well. Your case fans are quality 120MM. Maybe get some Yate Loons.

Well good luck
I'm not sure he's disabled speedstep and C1E so I'm not sure that the temperatures we're seeing are legit. OP - can you confirm that your BIOS has been set to disable all that junk? For 2.65GHz and low vCore, the temps still seem high - but maybe not.

clkio

Mar 26, 2005
Originally posted by: Accord99

If the voltage is set to Auto, the board will automatically start over-volting. Try setting it to 1.325v, which is the usual default voltage. Some of the newer C2Ds now have lower default voltages though, you can use CoreTemp to tell you the factory set default voltag.e

http://www.thecoolest.zerobrains.com/CoreTemp/

U ARE THE MAN, I FIXED THE CPU TEMP, it was over volting, I set it to 1.35V from auto. The cpu is running at 41C idle at 2.8GHz, thx a lot for the help guys