Tell your story

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

gopunk

Lifer
Jul 7, 2001
Originally posted by: ShotgunSteve
Growing up in Alaska has done more to warp/shape me than anything.

i heard the women have a saying up there in regards to dating... "the odds are good, but the goods are odd" :p

May 31, 2001
Originally posted by: gopunk
Originally posted by: ShotgunSteve
Growing up in Alaska has done more to warp/shape me than anything.

i heard the women have a saying up there in regards to dating... "the odds are good, but the goods are odd" :p

Yes indeed. :D Yet there are magazines, dating services, etc., devoted to hooking up women from the Lower '48 with men up here. Go figure.

Nemesis77

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2001
The single most defining moment of my life happened when I was 8 years old. My father had been feeling ill, so he stayed home. My mother was at work, and my older brother was away somewhere. I suddenly hear something fall down, and I can see my father laying on the livingroom floor having somekind of seizure. Blood was pouring from his ear. I immediately called my mom, who in turn called paramedics. It took about 10 minutes for them to arrive, but it was the longest 10 minutes of my life. The feeling of complete helplessness... I hope I will never again experience anything like that.

The paramedics arrived and took him away. That was the last time I saw my father alive :(. He died few days later in the hospital. He had ruptured a blood-vessel in his brain.

I still remember that day like it had happened yesterday. And I will remember it 'till the day I die.

EDIT: I might post more (happier moments) later. But that is all for now.

gnarley

Banned
May 14, 2002
Originally posted by: yllus
Grew up with the typical terrible parenting of young Asian parents. Never had a babysitter, the TV was sufficient enough. Even missed out on the drive to excel stuff - it's early on in your childhood where your parents should install that work ethic, and mine failed miserably at it. Conservative Muslim household, too. So I rebelled, but with an informed air to it. I know my parents' culture and values, but I despise them for being at least a century too old. All they've ever done is edge me towards alienation from my peers, but I never stood for it. Thank whatever deity you believe in for that.

My growth socially was retarded quite a bit from all that but I've bounced back fantastically. :) And it's not like even their mistakes were all for nothing. I am critical with my beliefs and never afraid to voice them. Most importantly it taught me what I will NOT do with my own children. It was nice that they recently apologized for whatever mistakes they made raising me. They were of course only human.

pretty much the same here. i was very bitter because of this in my early teens, but eventually i learned to swallow it and live.

Electric Amish

Elite Member
Oct 11, 1999
I made myself what I am. I have little or no recollection of anything before the age of about 10.

My parents ignored me because they couldn't help me. I was smarter than they were. So, I developed my own rationalization about how the world should be and what I should do to make it that way.

After I got married, my father-in-law became a roll-model for me. If I'm anything like him when I die, I'll be happy.

amish