Tell me what you think of this picture (no you don't really have to)

gregulator

Apr 23, 2000
It is my first photoshop experiment, a friend took the sequence and then I developed the prints at school, scanned them, and then pieced it together is photoshop. Hopefully the link works so let me know if it doesn't, thanks.

linkaroo

urbantechie

Banned
Jun 28, 2000
What camera did you use? Were you shooting with any filters? Oh yea, did you burn in that sky? (Just curious)

gregulator

Apr 23, 2000
no filters shooting, shot through a Nikon F5, a little dodging on me(the snowboarder), and a filter of contrast #3 on the print.

urbantechie

Banned
Jun 28, 2000
Nikon F5? You spoiled brat! :p, how old are ya? I am only using a EOS3 :), what was your exposure through the shot? Did you have to stop down from 1/ISO @F16? (because of snow)..I think i'm gong to do this but with skating.

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
Wow! Very cool. If you want to make the sections blend together, you might want to check out PhotoStitch...I was surprised by how well it works. I have a 360° shot from the top of the Roof Gardens of the NY Metropolitan Museum of Art that it stiched together flawlessly, except for a few "ghosts" left by moving people. I'd post it, but it's huuuuge (18 megs).

gregulator

Apr 23, 2000
Yeah I wish that was my camera, it was a friends who also has a 100-400mm zoom lens, and a 16mm fisheye, and those lenses for 35mm sure aren't cheap, this guy has some real serious stuff. The sequencing on the camera is like 8fps. I am not sure what exposure he used, he used a spot meter, and the film is crappy kodak 400 tri-x.

gregulator

Apr 23, 2000
anything I blew up to 8x10 got really grainy, but it does provide good margin of error in developing, T-MAX is the way to go I guess.

urbantechie

Banned
Jun 28, 2000
Well, your not focusing well enough :p, hmm, I think i'm going to do something like this with my Mamiya645PRO...blow it way up..

TheOverlord

Platinum Member
Oct 17, 2000
hm very cool shot but a few suggestions:

you dodged a bit too much around some of the snowboarders in the frame, its almost flattened the image to nothing in a few of the frames...

also look at the levels for each individual frame and try to match them, if they are pasted in each on a separate level then this would be much easier...

very cool tho, photoshop is nice...

[edit] If you could get a negative scanner to scan with then youd have even sharper results, ive got one at school that I use (Nikon Coolscan III) and its amazing... [/edit]

bigbootydaddy

Banned
Sep 14, 2000
line them up as layers, so that the background looks as one. then any layer that is too dark or light, duplicate the layer, use lighten/darken(as needed). then make that same layer transparent till it matches others.

itll look badass.

ArkAoss

Banned
Aug 31, 2000
suggestion to urban tech, get a steadier photographer.
And do you see how it seems that in each shot, he had had been centering on the boarder? if in the begining of the sequence, he'd had the boarder off the right side of the center of the shot and then as he went accross you move the camera a little, so that in the middle of the fly over he's right in the middle of the shot then as he lands let him move out of the exact center of the shot, so you don't get such obvious change in the background as the camera pivots. or if you can back up a little, for such a large jump, so the entire jump would be in one frame. but it is a nice mix together, did you make it into stripes in photo shop, or in film?

gregulator

Apr 23, 2000
I think the angle that these shots are taken from and the size of the jump would make it hard to do a unique background, each frame would be too close and it would look messy. One way I was thinking of shooting is as someone mentioned with the entire jump in the background, and then I could almost cut and paste the rider into the one background picture, but at the same time, I kind of like the effect of the stripes being a bit off in terms of background alignment. The strips were done in photoshop, there are actually 15 5x7 prints I made. Thanks for the input