Tell me this Dell isn't a terrible choice

Discussion in 'SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs' started by Ken g6, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Ken g6

Ken g6 Programming Moderator, Elite Member

My desktop computer died, and my laptop is old. I'm considering replacing my desktop with a new laptop until Haswell comes out. Plan to use it for work, programming, and distributed computing probably. Don't need gaming, but I do want to run Linux with VirtualBox. On this:

Dell Inspiron i15R-1633sLV 15.6-Inch Laptop
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
    $460

Yes, I know it's an i3. VirtualBox works on i3s, even though they don't have VX-t, right? And it's Sandy, not Ivy, but at this price I don't think I care. Anything else wrong with it? Anyone know of some obviously-better machine?

2. crab0

crab0 Member

3. Ken g6

Ken g6 Programming Moderator, Elite Member

Thanks. That looks nice!

On the other hand, my computer started working again. I think there might be a short in the power switch. :confused: Anyway, I canceled the i3 laptop order for now, and blamed your better price when Amazon asked. :)

4. davidthemaster3

If you don't mind refurbished laptops, you could always look at Dell Outlet. A similar specced laptop to the one crab0 linked is available for ~500$ but I've seen 20% to 30% rebate coupons for those. I can't find one now though ...