tell me stuff about Thailand - now with substantially less Thailand(tm)

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Guys,

i'm looking at holiday destinations and are considering Thailand, a country i know absolutely nothing about. In the honoured tradition of ATOT, i summon your wisdom to enlighten me on the various things-you-should-know .. stuff.
After having sat down nearly a full year, i need to strech my legs and catch some sun, do some swimming, and get back to being a human.

Preamble:
I will be traveling on my own. oh the shame. really, i haven't got a single friend left in the world so i have to resort to holidays alone, what a misery! target days are Jan 31 - Feb 17. Accommodation through AirBnB.
I zero speak the language. i'm also terribad when it comes to basic stuff like asking directions. or prices. or saying "hi".
My primary interest is prawns. Also lobster, crab, and all that sort of stuff. I hear fables of king prawns being sold for $5/Kg. Secondary interest, beach, and being away from the noise. Think "tropical island" but comfortable.
Living budget is about a thousand bucks, i will AirBnB, cheaper is better; i dunno, it just gives me that "white conqueror" vibe when i get a lot for little.

i understand that Thailand is a place not to be fucked with and will be abstaining from my usual fuckery. (i.e stay away from pimps, drug pushers, too-good-to-be-true deals)

What say you?
(i am happy to consider non-Thailand suggestions)

..keep in mind that the last time an ATOTer went to rome, i did a nearly-full-page writeup so i have big expectations of y'all.
(putting on my WW1 helmet on readying for a slaughter of Ladyboy jokes)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Captante

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
It sounds like you're going to need a "Thai massage" when you get there. Start with one of those!

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Thailand is awesome. You're going to have amazing time there provided you can get in. I'm pretty sure they're not letting in tourist at the moment so I don't think you can go.

If you want beach vacation, Phuket island would be ideal. Or you can go to Bangkok and then take 2 hour bus ride to Pattaya if you want to see the beach. You'll have the time of your life in Thailand. People are so nice, food is cheap and amazing, and Bangkok is really fun city with great nightlife. I'm planning Thailand trip myself in 2021. I'm probably going to hit Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Phuket, and Koh Tao.

Just don't say anything bad about the king.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Ok so, i am fully aware that one has NOT to insult the King.

You *can* get in, but must provide a CV19-negative test prior to travel; no issue there, it's just another £100 to spend.

Phuket looks ideal from what i gather; i'm looking at a photo of a lady selling street food and the sign says "50 baht" which is a buck and a half. Ooh.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Ok so, i am fully aware that one has NOT to insult the King.

You *can* get in, but must provide a CV19-negative test prior to travel; no issue there, it's just another £100 to spend.

Phuket looks ideal from what i gather; i'm looking at a photo of a lady selling street food and the sign says "50 baht" which is a buck and a half. Ooh.
Nope. It's not just providing CV19-negative test. If you're not Thai national, you pretty much can't get in as a tourist right now.

https://www.thaiembassy.com/travel/certificate-of-entry-to-thailand.php

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Nope. It's not just providing CV19-negative test. If you're not Thai national, you pretty much can't get in as a tourist right now.

https://www.thaiembassy.com/travel/certificate-of-entry-to-thailand.php

i work for a travel insurance company. I can assure you, we have a number of british citizen who have travelled there, recently, for holiday.
Follow your link to the Special Tourist Visa. All that it takes is 2000 Baht and a C19- certificate.
However, i will look further into this. Just to make sure.
Still, i'm really only looking for advice now.

idk you might be right. looks like the travellers were from a CV-free country. I'll do some investigating later today.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
.. looks like the only places still allowing travel are .. uh .. Honduras ... El Salvador .. oh and Colombia. But i can't go to Colombia, i can't tell my coworkers "yeah i went on holiday in Colombia, because I LOVE PRECOLOMBIAN POTTERY" it would ruin my reputation.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
I prefer Phillipines...most everyone speaks english, good value for the dollar, and the ladies are MUCH nicer. Thai ladies are cold as ice in general.

But

Thailands ladyboys are the most "look like females" of any country Ive been to. And dont dare say "I could tell". No. No you couldnt.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
.. looks like the only places still allowing travel are .. uh .. Honduras ... El Salvador .. oh and Colombia. But i can't go to Colombia, i can't tell my coworkers "yeah i went on holiday in Colombia, because I LOVE PRECOLOMBIAN POTTERY" it would ruin my reputation.
Colombia is awesome. Cartagena is nice beach/coast city. And Colombian girls are HOT. 3 weeks would allow you to visit Cartagena, Bogota, and Medellin and really explore the country. Colombia has amazing fruits. I think because it's close to the equator and has mountains and jungles, the fruits are super sweet.

I don't know about UK but US residents can enter Mexico, Turkey, Croatia, Costa Rica, and most of the Caribbean islands without quarantine. The only Asian country I know open to tourist right now is South Korea but you have to do mandatory 14 day quarantine if you go there. So if you're only traveling for 3 weeks, quarantine would pretty much take up most of your vacation time.

You're probably going to have to just chill at home like the rest of us right now and wait for the vaccine and the countries to open back up to foreign tourists. Trust me, I want to travel so bad right now. There are so many countries and places I want to visit. But I'm being patient and waiting for the all clear signal.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
I lived in Bangkok Thailand for nearly a year with my Thai gf. I also vacationed in Pattaya, and visited walking street, the beaches while there. Thailand is a very cheap country to live in. Food is cheap. You can have a great time there. Yes, follow the laws, respect the culture. Visit the temples. Meet people. I've been to Thailand alone and I got to meet some very cool people from all around the globe: Sweden, Britain, Australia, Norway, etc. I had a very good time. Gluck.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Colombia is awesome. Cartagena is nice beach/coast city. And Colombian girls are HOT. 3 weeks would allow you to visit Cartagena, Bogota, and Medellin and really explore the country. Colombia has amazing fruits. I think because it's close to the equator and has mountains and jungles, the fruits are super sweet.

I don't know about UK but US residents can enter Mexico, Turkey, Croatia, Costa Rica, and most of the Caribbean islands without quarantine. The only Asian country I know open to tourist right now is South Korea but you have to do mandatory 14 day quarantine if you go there. So if you're only traveling for 3 weeks, quarantine would pretty much take up most of your vacation time.

You're probably going to have to just chill at home like the rest of us right now and wait for the vaccine and the countries to open back up to foreign tourists. Trust me, I want to travel so bad right now. There are so many countries and places I want to visit. But I'm being patient and waiting for the all clear signal.
jokes aside, i'm worried about 3 things when it comes to Colombia:

1. the obvious association with cocaine. I'm happy to snort cocaine (only when in the americas) but don't want to be Coke Guy at work. no no no.

2. the crime. I have a decent amount of experience in dangerous travel, i know how to dress "local", but still.

3. it's still a holiday where i would lock myself into a room and do coke, alone, for 15 days. Please, don't get me wrong, it's .. yeah i know what you are about to say; but it's *not* the coke. I have been sitting on this chair for 5 days now. I do this. I'm mental. And i'm not doing coke, i'm just playing Civ 4 and Angband.

I need to get out, see some nature, avoid computers, walk, talk to people, maybe even dance. And i really, really do not do well with strangers. Basically, i got two speeds: cadaver, and self-destruct. Either i'm immersed in nature, or i need someone to hold my hand to even get out of the house.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Go to YouTube and look for Bangkok112. He had a ton of videos about Thailand and surrounding countries but nothing new for the last few months.

Bangkok 112 - YouTube

As others said, be respectful to the local folks, keep your nose clean, and have fun.

Keep your opinion to yourself and don't be a loud mouth obnoxious drunk foreigner..aka Farang. Remember your Constitution rights and privilege stop at the border.

My annual trip to several countries in Asia is cancelled for this year because of the virus. I am planning to rebook at the earliest (subject to the damn virus) is around end of 2021.

Last edited:
Reactions: DigDog

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
Dominican Republic is open for tourists, there is a weekday curfew of 9pm-5am and a weekend curfew of 7pm-5am , i believe that Jamaica is also open.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i've been to D.R., didn't really like it. There's some weird vibe through that place. (granted, that was 20 years ago)

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
You are planning to go Jan-Feb of 2021? Is that a bit too close because the virus is still running around and Asian countries are locking down or restricting foreigners/visitors/tourists at the present time. You may have to do 14 days quarantine before you are allowed to be on your way.

A short document about Bangkok.

Welcome to Bangkok, Thailand | DW Documentary - YouTube

Might want to watch this about rules and laws in Thailand.

Thai laws you need to know - YouTube

Last edited:

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i'm hoping on a bit of luck and the vaccine changing the panorama, but at the moment the only viable countries are Brasil (thanks to that maniac Bolsonaro, the country is fully open despite having a raging CV19 pandemic) and Ecuador/Peru/Chile. The further down south, the hotter the climate, and i'm really looking forward to spending two weeks in the ocean.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I nearly booked a trip to Aruba 2 days ago before the sale at a hotel I like was up, but I opted not to just because I don't know how things will play out in a couple months. And we have a 4 month old right now and I would prefer for him to sleep through the night before we head somewhere, which he isn't now. They are accepting tourists now though.

Not sure if you wanna vacation on a small island but Aruba is awesome. Depending where you stay it can definitely feel more touristy versus a more laid back vacation. If you want to get away from the crowds it's easy to do so. One of my favorite things to do there is to rent an ATV and explore the rugged side of the island. The island is pretty little though so it doesn't offer too much to explore if you are there for 3 weeks and wanted to explore like every day.

In 2021 I plan on going on 3-5 tropical vacations and getting the hell out of here for a bit. Aruba (will be my 6th trip there) will be on the list, as will Grand Cayman, which I think will be my 5th trip there.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
I was there through all of January and half of February. I also went in 2017.

I will return to read this thread. Marked for later...

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
There are decent number of countries open to UK tourist now.

https://www.traveloffpath.com/countries-that-have-reopened-to-brits-for-tourism/

I thought about going to Mexico or Turkey since they require no testing and or quarantine but then I ask myself why? Why do I want to pay to go somewhere right now when half the stuff/places will be closed and the places that are open are operating at reduced service and hours. And I have to deal with curfews. Seems like lot of hassle for potential not so great experience.

So I'm waiting for the vaccine and Asia to open back up. Go to Bali, Indonesia. Go to Phuket, Thailand. Those are places where your money will go far and you'll have amazing experiences. I already found a beautiful 3bd house on a cliff overlooking the ocean with direct access to the water in Bali I want to rent for a month. I'm using this downtime to research places and watch lot of Youtube travel videos.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Thailands ladyboys are the most "look like females" of any country Ive been to. And dont dare say "I could tell". No. No you couldnt.
on the streets, the best way to tell is how boldly sexual they are compared to females. Also, many ladyboys are rather tall compared to females. And most females don't show off fake boobs. Their voices are also a give away.