Info Tell me something that will make me go "Wow!"

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
What is the last word of this thread title?

Winner ?!? :D

/thread ;)

iu

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
Whut? More than 3 times...

I remember being 17 and having 3k in my bank account from working at Circuit City making 8.50 an hour. I felt so rich.

Now that wont cover my monthly credit card bill :(

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
The word “PEZ” comes from the German word for peppermint – PfeffErminZ.

It’s been said that nearly 3% of the ice in Antarctic glaciers is penguin urine.

Since 1945, all British tanks have come equipped with tea making facilities.

• Wow
Reactions: pete6032

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I remember being 17 and having 3k in my bank account from working at Circuit City making 8.50 an hour. I felt so rich.

Now that wont cover my monthly credit card bill :(
When you're 17 it seems like the world belongs to the older people, and it's true.

Reactions: Ajay and Captante

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Haven't really learned anything this week that made me go wow, but even though I live close by, I don't go by the waterfront as much anymore, but I did tonight, and the view wowed me. Even though I've seen it quite a few times. The photo does not do the view even 10% justice, it's awe inspiring in real life, but it's still nice. That's my wow.PXL_20210605_004712499 (1) (Large).jpg

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
What did I just read?
I towed banners in the Seattle and Portland areas for a few years. It was as close to barnstorming as you can get, only slightly less sketchy than crop dusting.
This is an example of how we did it.

In the second pick, that is a 20' x 50' small billboard with a letter tail.
Now, picture a billboard that was 30' tall and 100' long.

Here is another with a letter tail.
150 HP Super Cub

We had a C175 with the 180 Hp Lycoming and constant speed prop from the early Mooney. It had a Western Airways STOL leading edge cuff modification, and the interior was taken out and stored in the hangar. Just two seats and the battery moved back behind me to help with the heavy engine/prop.

Last edited:

dasherHampton

Platinum Member
Jan 19, 2018
We'll never be able to see the most awesome, unimaginable entities in the known universe. Light can't escape their gravity.

And yet - the reach of their gravitational pull affects your life here on earth.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Coral can get tired of too much sun, release a chemical into the water that evaporates and helps form clouds above for shade.

-40C = -40F

George 'Skeeter' Vaughan, Cherokee Indian and member of the US Army Moccasin Rangers, took out a German sentry with an 87ft knife throw in the winter of 1944.

• Wow
Reactions: Muse

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Coral can get tired of too much sun, release a chemical into the water that evaporates and helps form clouds above for shade.

-40C = -40F

George 'Skeeter' Vaughan, Cherokee Indian and member of the US Army Moccasin Rangers, took out a German sentry with an 87ft knife throw in the winter of 1944.
Don't mess with coral. My biggest scar still tells me that.

There are some Indians you don't want to mess with either...

Geronimo’s wife and children were murdered when he was a young man.

Geronimo came of age during a period of bitter conflict between the Chiricahua Apaches and the Mexicans. In response to the Apaches’ penchant for staging raids to gather horses and provisions, the Mexican government had begun ambushing Apache settlements and offering lucrative bounties for their scalps. In 1851, while Geronimo and several other warriors were in the town of Janos on a trading mission, Colonel Jose Maria Carrasco and a detachment of around 400 Mexican soldiers ransacked his Bedonkohe encampment and slaughtered many of its inhabitants. When Geronimo returned later that night, he found that his mother, his wife and his three young children had all been murdered. “I had lost all,” he said in his autobiography. Following the massacre, Geronimo swore vengeance against Mexico and led a series of bloody raids on its soldiers and settlements. “I have killed many Mexicans,” he later wrote. “I do not know how many…some of them were not worth counting.”

Last edited:

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
Haven't really learned anything this week that made me go wow, but even though I live close by, I don't go by the waterfront as much anymore, but I did tonight, and the view wowed me. Even though I've seen it quite a few times. The photo does not do the view even 10% justice, it's awe inspiring in real life, but it's still nice. That's my wow.View attachment 45326
No pics of the grounded ferry?

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
All social media must die! This is just insane - everyone will be a deepfake.

Too late. They've Deepfaked singing now:

They have an AI voice that can cry now: (first video then scroll down to second video)

Deepfake videos haven't quite crossed the uncanny valley barrier yet...but they're getting close:

• Wow
Reactions: Ajay

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
All water on earth is billions of years old. There is no such thing as fresh new water. Its all the same. We are drinking billion year old dino piss.