Tell me if I'm a scumbag

Agentbolt

Diamond Member
Jul 9, 2004
So my LCD TV, (An Astar MP-32DB) isn't HDCP compliant. It has no HDMI port, and it has one DVI port (and a VGA port, which is weird. Why have a non-HDCP compliant DVI port AND a VGA port on a TV? But I digress) and that's finally become an annoyance. It's only 720P so I was never worried about getting an HD-DVD or BluRay player for it, but the DVD player for the cheap home-theatre-in-a-box setup I bought for it crapped out. It won't read DVDs anymore.

I decided I might as well get an upconverting player for it, however upconverting players only upconvert via HDMI (not component) so I'm kind of stuck. So it's time for an upgrade. I need to sell the old one in the meantime though, and with it weighing 66 pounds, E-Bay doesn't seem like the greatest idea. So I'm going to sell it on Craigslist. I figure 400 bucks for it is get-able.

Here's the thing though, am I scumbag if I sell it without demanding anyone who picks it up completely understands what being non-HDCP compliant might mean in the future? I'm afraid that if I write in all caps "NOT HDCP COMPLIANT WHICH WILL BE A PAIN IN THE ASS IN THE FOLLOWING WAYS, AND MAY BE A PAIN IN THE ASS IN OTHER WAYS IN THE FUTURE" or something, it'll scare away an average buyer who'll become convinced that it won't work at all, even for broadcast HDTV and DVDs and stuff.

So what's your vote? Do I simply list the raw specs of it and let people do their own homework, or am I obligated to spell out what shortcomings this thing has? I'm genuinely unsure, I don't want to be a complete scumbag but I also don't want to kill my chances of selling it for a fair price.

newb111

Diamond Member
Oct 8, 2003
Most people wouldn't know or care. It's like telling people the used car you are selling them doesn't have HD radio.

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
I'd just tell 'em. If they bought it from the store, they could complain to the manager then get quashed by the corporate ladder. With you, they'll probably find out where you live and 'brick' your house.

Kirby64

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2006
Why explicitly explain the specs? Let em buy it, it's not like they can come stalk you after your drop it off (assuming you exchange in a public place.. not your house)

I highly doubt they're going to whine about the lack of HDMI port. If they don't want to take the time to figure out it doesn't have HDMI, they deserve everything they get. (A decent TV with a cheap price tag :p)

Krazy4Real

Lifer
Oct 3, 2003
I would just list the specs and model number. With that they can look anything else up if they want.

bsobel

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Dec 9, 2001
Agent, most people wouldn't even worry about the distinction. I think you commendable for considering it. But honestly, no, you have no reason or moral need to disclose anything short of faults in the existing unit.

For example, if you knew input 3 didn't work, you (IMHO) ethically need to tell a purchaser that up front (the unit works accept input 3 is broken). The idea that your responsible for missing future features in any product is not something I agree with.

If you sell your car and its a 2005 but the 2006 has HD radio (as was used as an example) you dont list it as 'Great 2005 but you need a 2006 if you want HD radio' (pick one of a hundred differences between cars here).

The buyer is responsible for knowing what they are buying and maing sure its appropriate for them.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
You might want to put the available inputs in the listing, but aside from that I wouldn't worry about it.

Agentbolt

Diamond Member
Jul 9, 2004
Cool, thanks guys. As another friend helpfully pointed out, I'm still a terrible person, but at least this isn't adding to that. The TV works perfectly fine, so I'll just list the specs and let the buyer figure out whether it's for them or not. Thanks again.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
It should be enough to say something like:

Connectors: composite (yellow plug), svideo, component, DVI (not HDCP), VGA. No HDMI.

Pepsei

Lifer
Dec 14, 2001
that's like setting up a girl from your work to your best friend, and not telling him she's not a virgin anymore.

Oct 4, 2004
Just list the Model Number. Smart buyers (or people that actually care) will Google it and check the manufacturer's site. I mean, if I were to sell an old graphic card, I wouldn't go out of my way to write 'Non DirectX 10-compliant, Only Shader Model 2.0 support'.

LtPage1

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2004
You're toeing the scumbag line if you don't mention it, but I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. Screw 'em.

fstime

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2004
No, its not your job to do research for the buyer.

As long as the brand, model, and condition are accurate, you're in the clear.

AliasX

Jan 29, 2006
You just need to list the model number, and let the buyer do research.

If it comes up in conversation, I would certainly disclose my reasons for selling it as you did in your post.

ibex333

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2005
IMHO, a buyer who does not do research prior to buying has no right to be angry at the seller because the item that was bought does not meet the sellers expectations. Hopping/expecting/assuming that the TV is is HDCP compliant is not the same as KNOWING that it is. As long as the item works, and is as advertised, the buyer is off the hook.

For example if I was buying this TV for you, I'd ask you for a picture of this TV taken by YOU. I'd ask you for the EXACT model of the TV so I can google it, read the reviews, user opinions, specifications, and any other relevant info. I cant imagine buying such things from anyone in this day and age without doing research. Anyone who does different is not very wise to say the least.

My suggestion is that you only point out the highlights and tell the buyers what this TV has. Don't tell them what it DOES NOT have. If someone like me will be buying your TV they'll ask you - Is it HDCP compliant? Others wont ask at all, so they will get exactly what was advertised and nothing more.

I remember I sold an old college book on e-bay once. The book was in perfect condition and it included a CD. I registered the CD and made an account though...
Someone bought the book and was very happy with it because these books, in much worse condition than mine were selling for a lot more... Then after a few months the buyer contacted me and complained that they cannot use the CD because it is tied to my account. In my mind, it was the seller's responsibility to ask about these things PRIOR to buying. I never stated in my auction that the CD was not registered. I clearly said that both the book and the CD were lightly used. I did not say anything else. The buyer got what he paid for. I was nice, and offered the buyer to provide my username and pass so he could access the CDs contents, but he never contacted me again. I figure he realized he got a hell of a deal on that book even if it didn't include the CD.

/Dont know why I just told this little story.. Just felt like writing I guess... ;)

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
My first inclination is to say you should include whatever information Best Buy/Circuit City/Amazon.com/whoever has on their websites.

But if it has become uncommon for a TV to not be HDCP since you bought yours, then it's something you ought to at least mention.

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
I'm clueless here. Couldn't someone use a HDMI to DVI converter and use the patch cords or digital out for sound?

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: ibex333
IMHO, a buyer who does not do research prior to buying has no right to be angry at the seller because the item that was bought does not meet the sellers expectations. Hopping/expecting/assuming that the TV is is HDCP compliant is not the same as KNOWING that it is. As long as the item works, and is as advertised, the buyer is off the hook.

For example if I was buying this TV for you, I'd ask you for a picture of this TV taken by YOU. I'd ask you for the EXACT model of the TV so I can google it, read the reviews, user opinions, specifications, and any other relevant info. I cant imagine buying such things from anyone in this day and age without doing research. Anyone who does different is not very wise to say the least.

My suggestion is that you only point out the highlights and tell the buyers what this TV has. Don't tell them what it DOES NOT have. If someone like me will be buying your TV they'll ask you - Is it HDCP compliant? Others wont ask at all, so they will get exactly what was advertised and nothing more.

I remember I sold an old college book on e-bay once. The book was in perfect condition and it included a CD. I registered the CD and made an account though...
Someone bought the book and was very happy with it because these books, in much worse condition than mine were selling for a lot more... Then after a few months the buyer contacted me and complained that they cannot use the CD because it is tied to my account. In my mind, it was the seller's responsibility to ask about these things PRIOR to buying. I never stated in my auction that the CD was not registered. I clearly said that both the book and the CD were lightly used. I did not say anything else. The buyer got what he paid for. I was nice, and offered the buyer to provide my username and pass so he could access the CDs contents, but he never contacted me again. I figure he realized he got a hell of a deal on that book even if it didn't include the CD.

/Dont know why I just told this little story.. Just felt like writing I guess... ;)

Uh... you think it's the buyer's responsibility to ask the seller if the item they're buying is functional? :confused: It's good that you were willing to make it right, but your justification for not needing to tell the buyer in the first place is wrong.