Question Tell me again that there isn't a "new" mining boom happening since Aug. 2020... :P

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001

$219.99 for an 8GB RX 580? I mean, the Sapphire "Pulse" model cards ARE nice, but ... over $200 nice? For a GPU that has always traditionally sold in the under-$200 bracket.

Yep, mining.

RX 5600XT, RX 5700XT, and RTX 2070 (Super) cards are increasing in price too.

mohit9206

Golden Member
Jul 2, 2013
Hopefully once the entire new generation cards are out by Q1 2021, hopefully prices will stabilize. In the meantime used cards are the way to go. PC gaming has become an expensive hobby in a lot of countries outside the US due to high taxes and price gouging due lack of stock. I was a little excited when Microsoft announced Xbox Series S for $300 but unfortunately even that comes out to $500 in my country so quite disappointed.

alexruiz

Platinum Member
Sep 21, 2001

$219.99 for an 8GB RX 580? I mean, the Sapphire "Pulse" model cards ARE nice, but ... over $200 nice? For a GPU that has always traditionally sold in the under-$200 bracket.

Yep, mining.

RX 5600XT, RX 5700XT, and RTX 2070 (Super) cards are increasing in price too.

I am scratching my head about that.
The coins prices are not really going up.

mmaenpaa

Aug 4, 2009
Ethereum "gas" prices went up therefore the block reward went up as well from what I understand.

Block rewards *were* quite high for a while back due high gas (lasted about 10 days I believe) but now back to "normal low" ie. barely above cost of mining.

I ordered a few Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 in the beginning of August @150€ (distributor prices), now they are about 190€ !!

I believe there is new interest in (GPU) mining for those spikes which got attention. Even though it is not that profitable

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I ordered a few Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 in the beginning of August @150€ (distributor prices), now they are about 190€ !!

I believe there is new interest in (GPU) mining for those spikes which got attention. Even though it is not that profitable
That's what I'm talking about!

Also, Newegg has "limit 6" on some of their GPUs on sale. Like the MSI RX 5600XT MX Gaming for $269.99. Note that, traditionally, when Newegg wanted to limit quantities, they used to put "limit 5 per customer", or "limit 2...", or "limit 1...".

The fact that they are now stating "limit 6" on GPU purchases of certain kinds, is also indicative that they KNOW that miners are buying them, because they fill out GPU rigs in groups of six cards, most of them.

Edit: Plenty of mining YouTubers are saying, "GPU mining, STILL PROFITABLE", and "GPU mining, PROFITABLE AGAIN", and "DUST OFF those GPU mining rigs, and FIRE THEM UP". Stuff like that, building the hype. And then there's the DeFi movement, which appears to be bursting it's bubble recently, and the high "Gas" fees with ETH, increasing the block rewards (fairly recently, but it seems like that mostly petered out).

Note: I'm not advising anyone to actually go out and buy more GPUs for mining, heck no, but I did recently, and when I finally got them installed, drivers re-installed, and flashed the BIOSes on them (RX5600 XT refurbs with original 12Gbit/sec GDDR6 BIOSes), and then my earnings dropped from like $3/day on both PCs to like just above $2/day, kind of disappointing, but still (slightly) profitable. Don't know if my $500 (+tax) GPU purchase(s) are going to pay off, though, if earnings keep dropping. At least, the RX 5600XT is a viable 1440P gaming card, I can always sell a few of my rigs as gaming PCs. (Well, they basically ARE, they're just mining at the moment.)

Last edited:

The Alias

Aug 22, 2012
I had to get a 220v 30amp circuit ran to the room and install a window unit cause they're in the house. It ran around $900 for the power and cooling infrastructure I've installed so far.

Reactions: Tlh97