Tell me again Maximus...

Kyanzes

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2005
So basically the question is: would a 8500GT provide any mentionable level of PhysX acceleration that would benefit my gameplay experience? Currently I own a GTX280.

From what I understand the new driver set enables users to dedicate a card to PhysX acceleration. Does anyone know of a benchmark? Anyone with any idea as to how different NV cards fare?

Does even the 8500GT have the PhysX support?

MarcVenice

Moderator Emeritus <br>
Apr 2, 2007
Well, it depends, what else will you use it for, a second PC or something? Throw in the trash can ? Sell it for $5 ? If the latter 2, I'd keep it. I think it will provide some acceleration. But it will also consume some power, unless those cards can be 'shut of' when you don't need them, but I don't think they can.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Nothing impressive in the new PhysX pack unfortunately. 5 of the 7 points aren't even games. It's better than nothing but unless it's something both vendors are going to use it's not that useful.

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
Originally posted by: LOUISSSSS
Originally posted by: phexac
Do any mainstream games even use PhysX?

none that people play

You can add a few select maps into UT3, but they run like ass, & are terrible maps.

As the UT3 community doesn't care one bit about PhyX (& they are who make the good maps), it will never matter for that title.

IMHO, it's an utterly useless feature, one that will likely be made unneeded by the same thing being done on future games via the CPU.

dguy6789

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2002
Originally posted by: n7
Originally posted by: LOUISSSSS
Originally posted by: phexac
Do any mainstream games even use PhysX?

none that people play

You can add a few select maps into UT3, but they run like ass, & are terrible maps.

As the UT3 community doesn't care one bit about PhyX (& they are who make the good maps), it will never matter for that title.

IMHO, it's an utterly useless feature, one that will likely be made unneeded by the same thing being done on future games via the CPU.

I agree completely.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Originally posted by: thilan29
Nothing impressive in the new PhysX pack unfortunately. 5 of the 7 points aren't even games. It's better than nothing but unless it's something both vendors are going to use it's not that useful.

It's unfortunate you found nothing impressive is more likely. Between Pack 1 & 2 there is quite a lot of information and inklings of what is to come. And the first full blown Tier 1 game will be out in January. Mirrors Edge. Backbreaker is due out soon as well. Football with PhysX.
There is no "Snap fingers and PhysX titles appear." All of this takes a bit of time. All these demos and game levels are provided to the end user so they can have a sampling of what to expect, or at least get the concept of GPU PhysX based games. And don't forget CUDA applications.

It just doesn't make sense when someone says, "I didn't find it impressive". It's ALL damn impressive. Why do you think the GT200 has 1.4 billion transistors? I find it very surprising that a lot of people do not see that it could be because these GPU's were not designed for JUST playing games very well, but also have mammoth computational power. To design a multipurpose chip this powerful, is going to take up some real estate. But I'm going slightly OT here. Just natural I guess. One thing leads inevitably into another.