Tell me about water flossers

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Interested since I'm pretty much already fucked up dentally but I would like to keep my teeth a little longer.

Gardener

Nov 22, 1999
According to my dentist and hygenist it and does not replace flossing.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
According to my dentist and hygenist it and does not replace flossing.
My molars are a pain in the behind to get the string in there although the fronts will be hit with string. .

Ordered a Waterpik Ultra for $44 bucks off Walgreens utilizing some coupon-fu.

I plan on using mouthwash in the machine to get the crevices disinfected.

And I will eat like a quasi-diabetic for the rest of my life; I sure am starting to shop like one. I hate bread anyway, so swearing off pizzas is easy. I will be sad that pasta will be cut out though, I've always loved pasta sauce.

Hans Gruber

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2006
The water flosser came before the water wheel but after the aqueducts of the Roman Empire. What else do you want me to tell you about water flossers?

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
My molars are a pain in the behind to get the string in there although the fronts will be hit with string. .

And I will eat like a quasi-diabetic for the rest of my life; I sure am starting to shop like one. I hate bread anyway, so swearing off pizzas is easy. I will be sad that pasta will be cut out though, I've always loved pasta sauce.
Might want to be careful unless it says it can use mouthwash. A lot of those mouthwashes are alcohol based and will eat away seals that aren't designed for it.

Gardener

Nov 22, 1999

My wife has a dental crown on a second molar that was poorly cast...she uses the water pik for it. Its good for flushing out food debris. If I use it, its after I brush, before I floss. I wouldn't bother with disinfecting, there is a normal balance of microbes. If you have general irritation, my dad (a retired dentist) always recommended a rinse with warm salt water...good for cheek bites and canker sores too.

One of the members posted a helpful tip a while back, which is after you floss between two teeth, take a sniff of the floss. If it smells sour, you've got considerable bacterial activity in that gap/pocket between those teeth, so adjust your cleaning regime.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
My wife has a dental crown on a second molar that was poorly cast...she uses the water pik for it. Its good for flushing out food debris. If I use it, its after I brush, before I floss. I wouldn't bother with disinfecting, there is a normal balance of microbes. If you have general irritation, my dad (a retired dentist) always recommended a rinse with warm salt water...good for cheek bites and canker sores too.

One of the members posted a helpful tip a while back, which is after you floss between two teeth, take a sniff of the floss. If it smells sour, you've got considerable bacterial activity in that gap/pocket between those teeth, so adjust your cleaning regime.
You're right about blowing out debris. That is what I like about it. After eating a list of "forbidden delights" like bread and its derivatives like fried chicken, the water flosser lets me basically give a bath and pressure wash to the teeth.

Right now, I'm trying out baking soda brushing. Tastes just like salt but is also a base to attack the acidic micro-environments