Television and Autism link?

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Stolen from Slashdot - this is fascinating.

Link

They compare the Amish population to california...and draw a positive correlation. I don't see any mention of vaccines though - that would be interesting, because I don't think the amish vaccinate either. Perhaps mercury on the brain + gilligan's island/teletubbies fries out a certain percentage...

Uhtrinity

Platinum Member
Dec 21, 2003
But there are so many differences between Amish culture and the mainstream US I find it hard that they could narow it down to just one thing, TV :)

Considering that people were diagnosed prior than the 1940's I highly doubt this.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
I have heard the higher incidences of diagnosis has more to do with understanding from the medical community than anything. Kids who were high level autistics may have been diagnosed as ADD where they are properly diagnosed as Austistic.

I have a nephew who is a high level autistic and this area is interesting to read.

Uhtrinity

Platinum Member
Dec 21, 2003
I will forward this to my boss and one of our board members whos daughters are both autistic and get some input from them.

RapidSnail

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2006
Originally posted by: alchemize

Link

They compare the Amish population to california...and draw a positive correlation. I don't see any mention of vaccines though - that would be interesting, because I don't think the amish vaccinate either. Perhaps mercury on the brain + gilligan's island/teletubbies fries out a certain percentage...

Not many people I know make the correlation with vaccines and autism. I think it is a major reason for the epidemic that we have.

:thumbsup:

Aisengard

Golden Member
Feb 25, 2005
I too think a greater medical knowledge and higher diagnosis rates have more of an effect than TV or vaccines can give.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Originally posted by: RapidSnail

Link

Not many people I know make the correlation with vaccines and autism. I think it is a major reason for the epidemic that we have.

Got any facts that backup vaccinations cause more harm than good?

f95toli

Golden Member
Nov 21, 2002
Originally posted by: RapidSnail

Link

There is no proven link between autism and vaccines. One small study years ago did show a correlation but that has never been seen in bigger studies. Morever, as far as I remember (I might be wrong here) there were som pretty significant problems with that study. Unfortunately, the alleged link between vaccines and autism has indirecly resultet in the death of kids from preventable diseases simply because there parent were too afraid to have them vaccinated.

Now, I have only looked through the study without reading it carefully; but isn't there an obvious problem with using the Amish as a control group? Specifically, that they are a pretty isolated group from a genetic point of view meaning that genetic factors might come into play. There are many examples of genetic disorders that are much more common in certain ethnic/religious/whatever groups. One famous example is that you are much more likely to have hemophilia if you are a member of european royal family since it is caused by a recessive mutation and roaylties tend to marry within their (small) "population". Tay-Sachs disease is very rare in the general population but common among Ashkenazi Jews etc

I for one would like to see evidence showing that the number of cases of autism HAS in fact increased and that the rise is not due to better/changed diagnoses. Just think of how rare dyslexia was when it was first indentified as a disorder, AFAIK no one believes that it was less common 300 years ago (or even 50 yars ago) but unless you live in a society where everyone is expected to be able read and write (well) neither the person with the disorder or anyone else is likely to notice it.

Mark R

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Just a quick point.

The study didn't compare California to the Amish population. The study was purely on children in 3 counties in California.

Essentially, the experimenters went round houses, asking how many minutes their little kids had watched TV for, as well as collecting a lot of other info. Using complex statistical techniques (including such factors as weather, family social class, race, etc.) a 'corrected' score of average amount of TV watching was calculated.

TV watching scores for each county were then correlated with autism rates - This gave a strongly signficant result.

What seems particularly striking, is the correlation between autism rates and rainfall (rainfall being a very strong predictor of how much TV is watched). There are some maps shaded to indicate rainfall and autism patterns at the end of the report. The similarity is quite uncanny.

Zontor

Sep 19, 2000
I have an autistic son so I'm very interested in the affliction. However I find this study somewhat flawed:

Since there are few studies that directly measure television viewing for the age group we are interested in, we start by identifiyg a variable that can be measured that is correlated with television viewing by very young children....to establish that young childhood television watching is positively correlated with precipitation."

In other words -- rain or snow. I suppose one could make the jump that rain or snow causes autism too!

I've also found that the diagnosis of autism has broadened over the years. The real question is: Do more children have autism or is the definition broader?

I'm all for the research but I don't see too much here....

Gibsons

Lifer
Aug 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Zontor
I have an autistic son so I'm very interested in the affliction. However I find this study somewhat flawed:

Since there are few studies that directly measure television viewing for the age group we are interested in, we start by identifiyg a variable that can be measured that is correlated with television viewing by very young children....to establish that young childhood television watching is positively correlated with precipitation."

In other words -- rain or snow. I suppose one could make the jump that rain or snow causes autism too!

I've also found that the diagnosis of autism has broadened over the years. The real question is: Do more children have autism or is the definition broader?

I'm all for the research but I don't see too much here....
More rain will mean higher levels of mold in the air, different clothes, less outdoor exercise...

RightIsWrong

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2005
As someone that has a son that has been diagnosed with Asperger's, has been told by the same expert that I also have it (but didn't get a "formal" diagnosis) and have immediate family members that haven't been to see a professional but are about as certain to have it as any person could.....I think that the article is a reach.

I think that the amount of TV has no correlation to "acquiring" the condition. It does, however, contribute to calming down an individual that does have it. For me and my son, TV is an escape from the chaos of the world around us. If you would like a little personal insight into what it is like....here is an attempt at giving you one.

When I am having a rough day, I can sit and watch a tv show and completely tune out everything around me and not even hear others in the room. My mind is completely engrossed in what I am watching and nothing in the world crosses into it. When my son (just turned 3 in June) is having a bad day, he cries and can't stand (falls intentionally) and just screams. We have a couple of DVDs that we play for him that he can watch over and over and they calm him down immediately (actually, just us telling him we are going to play them does). He is too young to say it for himself, but I am 99% certain that he gets the same "relief" that I do from the experience. I can say with certianty that TV isn't the cause....but it sure acts like an immediate cure for a bout of chaotic stress.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
Acording to the lastest Scientific American Autism seems to be caused in part by damage to sets of cells called "Mirror Neurons". These sets of neurons store the motor ability that lets manipulate objects. The interesting thing is they also fire when you see someone manipulate the object. Basically if I pick up glass these neurons fire to let me do it. If I see you pickup a glass the same neurons fire - which allows me to quickly interpret what you are doing. People with Autism don't exhibit the second behaviour which is one of the characteristics of Autism - the inability to relate to the actions of others.

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
Originally posted by: Genx87
I have heard the higher incidences of diagnosis has more to do with understanding from the medical community than anything. Kids who were high level autistics may have been diagnosed as ADD where they are properly diagnosed as Austistic.

I have a nephew who is a high level autistic and this area is interesting to read.
No competent physician has EVER confused ADD with autism.

There are multiple factors that 'likely' contribute to the reported increased prevalence:

1) better diagnostic techniques: prior to 1989 the primary means of diagnosis was based on the criteria in the DSM (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders). In the late 80s, Cathy Lord and others developed and published two truly revolutionary tools: ADI (autism diagostic interview) and ADOS (autism diagnostic observation schedule). Curiously, autism rates have increased significantly since the early 90s.

2) more trained clinicians: sadly child psychiatrists and child neurologists have not increased in number (or quality since most residency programs provided little if any training in autism). But the number of trained professionals in developmental disorders has increased significantly; PhD, Masters-level, etc. In fact, there's far more of these people with training in the use of the ADI and ADOS than there are MDs . . . like me.

3) public education confounder: Most school systems have categorizations for special needs kids. "Autistic" often provides an augmented level of services compared to a child that's just MR (mentally retarded), for instance. Accordingly, some parents (and teachers) actively seek out the diagnosis . . . even on the fringe. Further, many school systems have autism 'teams' actively evaluating kids.

4) diagnostic "fuzziness": As a corollary to #3, there's been a bit of 'expansion' in what is called autism. The conventional wisdom is to put strictly defined autism, Asperger disorder, and pervasive developmental disorder-not otherwise specified (PDD-NOS) under the single term of autism spectrum disorders (ASD). The National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) is even considering another one; Multidimensionally Impaired Disorder . . . which basically covers kids exhibiting characteristics of autism, OCD, and even psychosis but without clearly meeting criteria for a specific neuropsychiatric disorder. The problem is that 10 years ago autism was a type of PDD. Now PDD-NOS is considered part of the autism spectrum.

5) Less likely but certainly intriguing hypotheses:
a) increased breeding between 'spectrumy' people . . . Internet effect . . . connecting odd people all over the world
b) true environmental factor (ie pollution) +/- immune-mediated response to environmental factors

The vaccine (mercury) issue has long been debunked. Best evidence of course being that rates of autism began increasing most dramatically AFTER most childhood vaccine manufacturers STOPPED using thimersol as a preservative. In EU countries with real systems of healthcare for children, the data is unequivocal.

As for the OP, I'm always wary about 'economist' analyzing public health data. Their work is NOT peer-reviewed or published. It's a paper they are presenting at conference on Friday.

Science Daily

The results of their study suggest higher prevalence of autism among kids that lived in areas that get high amounts of precipitation and in areas that have good cable TV access/subscription rates.

I won't bother with every idiotic element of their analysis. Suffice it to say the average age of definitive diagnosis is probably around 4 years-old these days. BUT most parents can give a retrospective account of problems starting between 6-9mo (ADI). General visual acuity for an infant isn't so good (for TV viewing at appropriate distance) until 6mo or so; not to mention the fact they spend nearly all day either sleeping (16hrs+), looking at the ceiling, or attached to a boob or bottle.

Even by 12mo most kids are still sleeping 14hrs+. They are on the move, most can walk. And naturally, most damning the typical toddler has an attention span shorter than Mark Foley's list of close personal friends in the GOP leadership.

In essence, the likelihood that TV-viewing (by the kid) plays a causative role (or excerabates) autism is about as likely as watching a videotape and having a scrawny Goth girl call you up for a play date.