telemarketers finally gone?

AnImuS

Sep 28, 2001
Linky

I tryed to visit the site but its getting raped. I hope this works. Enough with telemarketers.
"The list will block about 80 percent of telemarketing calls, FTC Chairman Timothy Muris, said."

donotcall.gov

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002
does it still leave open the possibilty to get compensated if you still get calls?

There has been a "do not call" list for years, anytime one called you if you told them that they could not call you back within one year I believe. If they did and you called them on it, you were eligible for "damages" up to about $1500 max, the $$$$ part may be an urban legend but I have always told them to put me on the DNC list, and they politely say goodbye and that's it, which is fine.

I did have one get all bummed out when I told him that, he wanted to know what he did wrong, you bothered me in my home bi*ch......

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
This list does not take effect till October. Then you have all the exemptions. Non-profits and charities can still call, and I assure you 99% of telemarketers are going to become non-profits by october... Wast of time IMO.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Bush should love the fact that about 5million workers will be out of work... leaving about 1m employed in the telemarketer business...

I can't get through yet...

ZaneNBK

Golden Member
Sep 14, 2000
Long Distance companies and companies you have already done business with are exempted from this list (in addition to the exemptions already listed in this thread). WTH? Long Distance companies are one of the worst abusers. This list is just a freaking waste of tax-payer money.

It started out a good idea but it looks like it was declawed before it was finally approved.

Yay, way to do NOTHING.

Vadatajs

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2001
Originally posted by: ZaneNBK
Long Distance companies and companies you have already done business with are exempted from this list (in addition to the exemptions already listed in this thread). WTH? Long Distance companies are one of the worst abusers. This list is just a freaking waste of tax-payer money.

It started out a good idea but it looks like it was declawed before it was finally approved.

Yay, way to do NOTHING.

Yeah, I think the companies bitched that the measure was a violation of their 1st ammendment rights...as if companies [should] have1st ammendment rights
rolleye.gif

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: HJD1
Bush should love the fact that about 5million workers will be out of work... leaving about 1m employed in the telemarketer business...

Are you saying you fel telemarketers have the right to call you? :p I think they and door-to-door salesmen should all be executed (hyperbole). Don't call me, I'll call you if I want something. :evil::p

Salesmen and lawyers should all be shipped to Libera.

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
No - taken right off of the Donotcall.gov webpage:

Damn, read thisw from the website:

Q: If I register my number on the National Do Not Call Registry, will it stop all telemarketing calls?

A: No. Placing your number on the National Do Not Call Registry will stop most, but not all, telemarketing calls. Some businesses are exempt from the national registry and still can call you even if you place your number on it. Exempt businesses include:
long-distance phone companies
airlines
banks and credit unions; and
the business of insurance, to the extent that it is regulated by state law.

However, many telemarketing calls are placed by professional telemarketing companies, and even if the company whose goods or services are being sold is exempt, the telemarketing company may be covered.
You may still receive calls from political organizations, charities, telephone surveyors or companies with which you have an existing business relationship.
The FCC has initiated a rulemaking proceeding that would extend the National Do Not Call Registry to many of the businesses that are exempt from FTC coverage.

Name a company that you get regular calls from that doesn't fall into one of these catagories.
Long Distace / Telecom services
Charity
Credit Card Companies
so you can add you name to the list and the people who annoy you the most can still call.. :|

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: Gaard
Has anyone here ever been, or ever known, a telemarketer?

My little brother. We said he would either be a southern babtist TV preacher, lawyer, or salesman. He's always after the grift. Scumbag that he is.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Originally posted by: Zebo

Are you saying you fel telemarketers have the right to call you? :p I think they and door-to-door salesmen should all be executed (hyperbole). Don't call me, I'll call you if I want something. :evil::p

Salesmen and lawyers should all be shipped to Libera.

Lawyers... A person completing law school and sitting for and passing the State Bar Exam believes he knows everything.... a person as before but, not sitting for the Bar Exam knows the former does not..:)

Salesmen... Have no sense of rejection... amazes me! I never answer the phone or the door bell... don't care who it is.. If I'm the only person home I'm pretty apt to stay that way..:D

Telemarketers... have every right to call whom ever they wish until they are informed otherwise. I've finally gotten through and now await my emails for the seven numbers I control here... cells and the house lines.. I wish the law made no exceptions, required express permission to call me... I dislike anyone who enters my world uninvited... the law does not go far enough... :|

ZaneNBK

Golden Member
Sep 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Gaard
Has anyone here ever been, or ever known, a telemarketer?

I was a long time ago in my Highschool days during the summer IIRC. Didn't stay long at either of the two places. It's horrible work but better than nothing at all. One place was for charities, the other was giving away free prizes to go to time-share presentations.

If I called you back then, I'm sorry. :p

Don't blame the guy on the phone, blame the people who's product is being pushed.

ZaneNBK

Golden Member
Sep 14, 2000

Lawyers... A person completing law school and sitting for and passing the State Bar Exam believes he knows everything.... a person as before but, not sitting for the Bar Exam knows the former does not..:)

Salesmen... Have no sense of rejection... amazes me! I never answer the phone or the door bell... don't care who it is.. If I'm the only person home I'm pretty apt to stay that way..:D

Telemarketers... have every right to call whom ever they wish until they are informed otherwise. I've finally gotten through and now await my emails for the seven numbers I control here... cells and the house lines.. I wish the law made no exceptions, required express permission to call me... I dislike anyone who enters my world uninvited... the law does not go far enough... :|

Yup. I fail to see why I can't say "You may not call this phone number, unless I specfically invite you to." and have the law back me up. Oh well.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Originally posted by: ZaneNBK

Yup. I fail to see why I can't say "You may not call this phone number, unless I specfically invite you to." and have the law back me up. Oh well.

It actually has an adverse effect on a persons behavior.. it use to be folks looked forward for the phone to ring..( not me but, ) now folks in general have developed a more cynical view to intrusion then before.. not that intrusion was not viewed in the negative before it is just more so now.. I think.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Cynical, theres that word again. I prefer skeptical.;)

I have learned to become desenitzed to the phone ring or doorbell to the point of never hearing them. The minds a wonderful thing.

burnedout

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Name a company that you get regular calls from that doesn't fall into one of these catagories.
Long Distace / Telecom services
Charity
Credit Card Companies
so you can add you name to the list and the people who annoy you the most can still call..
So true. 95 percent of the telemarketing calls we receive are from the three you list. The credit card companies are most persistent, IMO.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003

I have learned to become desenitzed to the phone ring or doorbell to the point of never hearing them. The minds a wonderful thing.

Oh... I hear it OK.. Joey my silkie hears the door bell and barks up a storm... when the phone rings he walks over to it and if no one answers it he tries to knock it over so he can bark at the caller... brilliant pup, my Joey..:)

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001

Oh... I hear it OK.. Joey my silkie hears the door bell and barks up a storm... when the phone rings he walks over to it and if no one answers it he tries to knock it over so he can bark at the caller... brilliant pup, my Joey..:)

Joey for president.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003

Joey for president.

If you thought Clinton had a problem .... Joey sits in the window seat looking for any ole dog to pass by... I gotta find him a wife..:)
I noticed you use to be Carbon guy... just noticed last nite on the thread.. How you do it... ?

kleinesarschloch

Jan 18, 2003
thats it. i had high hopes for this list, but i knew it was too good to be true. there are so many f-ing exceptions that it's basically useless. maybe it's time to start sewing telephone symbols on people's coats, i sure could use a bar of soap. :disgust:

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Originally posted by: kleinesarschloch
thats it. i had high hopes for this list, but i knew it was too good to be true. there are so many f-ing exceptions that it's basically useless. maybe it's time to start sewing telephone symbols on people's coats, i sure could use a bar of soap. :disgust:

I'm switching to Nextel because the have the "walkie talkie" feature. Family members can just beep... I can ignor the rest.

mastertech01

Moderator Emeritus Elite Member
Nov 13, 1999
If anything, it will verify all the good phone numbers for the "exempted" companies to call. I wont bother registering my name and number for these government sanctioned phone lists for the whole world to see. No wonder the Telemarketers are paying for the "service". Convenient for them to also want an email address for confirmation.