Ted Stevens Corruption Trial Begins

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
During what is already a abysmally bad week for the McCain/Palin campaign, Ted Stevens will be making headlines shortly when the long-time Alaska Republican gets hung out to dry on corruption charges that, given the evidence, look very easy to prove. Of course, that will again bring to the media forefront the fact that Palin served as the head of a 527 group for Ted Stevens early in her political career...once again proving she was "for" something before she was "against" it.

Text

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Prosecutors in the corruption trial of U.S. Sen. Ted Stevens called the Alaska Republican a crafty politician in their opening arguments Thursday, The Associated Press reported.

Stevens is fighting a seven-count indictment accusing him of filing false information on mandatory Senate financial disclosure forms.

Prosecutors say he failed to report gifts and services of substantial value from a large oil services contractor Veco Energy -- considered one of the state's biggest employers.

Prosecutor Brenda Morris said Stevens had learned how to hide such gifts during the decades he has spent in the Senate and has thumbed his nose at the public's right to know about the gifts, according to AP.

Stevens is not charged with receiving bribes, although prosecutors allege in the indictment that the senator "could and did use his official position and his office on behalf of Veco."

Stevens hopes to clear his name by November in time for voters to decide whether to re-elect him. He has continued to campaign since his July 29 indictment.

The judge will allow Stevens to be absent from the courtroom in the weeks ahead if Stevens needs to vote on Senate financial bailout legislation. He has asked defense lawyers not to emphasize his possible absence from the courtroom during the trial.

The federal courthouse is a few blocks from the U.S. Capitol.

District Judge Emmet Sullivan warned defense lawyers Wednesday not to use their client's absence to win favor.

"You are not to give the appearance that 'I'm not here because of the business of the people,' the judge said. "Of course, that's a double-edged sword," Sullivan said, referring to troubled efforts to come up with a government bailout plan.

Among the first prosecution witnesses scheduled Thursday are two employees of Veco Energy, an Alaska-based company before it was acquired by a Colorado firm. Prosecutors hope to establish that Stevens was required to report the company gave him the hundreds of thousands of dollars in home improvements to a chalet he owns in Alaska.

Prosecutors allege that Stevens received more than $250,000 worth of gifts, including a new first floor, garage and deck on his home; a new Land Rover -- exchanged for an older car -- and a gas grill.

A sculpture of fish migrating upstream may also come up in testimony, which is said to be worth $29,000. Prosecutor Edward Sullivan has told the judge "it's a very large statue sitting on his front porch" at the senator's home in Alaska.

"It's the government's position that it was given and not reported," he said.

Stevens is an avid fisherman. His attorneys have said the sculpture belongs to a foundation that is planning to create a Stevens congressional library.

The jury was seated Wednesday and consists of 11 women and five men.

All 16 will hear the case, with four serving as alternates. Their status will not be disclosed until the end of the trial.

Spectators and the media did not learn the names of the jurors, who in open court were referred to by assigned numbers.

winnar111

Banned
Mar 10, 2008
You mean you're for someone before they're a criminal, and against then afterwards? The horror!

jpeyton

Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: winnar111
You mean you're for someone before they're a criminal, and against then afterwards? The horror!
Thieves are still criminals even if they haven't gone to court/jail yet.

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Obligatory ted stevens is an asshole post!

Someone link to his "saddest day of my life" speech, when his bridge got shot down.

winnar111

Banned
Mar 10, 2008
Originally posted by: jpeyton

Who thought Stevens was either a thief or a criminal back in 2003?

jpeyton

Aug 23, 2003

Apparently you're a piss-poor judge of character. At least Palin had a decent (if ethically challenged) excuse; she was kissing some political ass to get ahead.

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000

ME!

You didn't think that career politician that makes living hustling DOT appropriations is crooked? Common... it's in the human nature.

winnar111

Banned
Mar 10, 2008

Apparently you're a piss-poor judge of character. At least Palin had a decent (if ethically challenged) excuse; she was kissing some political ass to get ahead.

Lovely sentiment, but didn't answer the question.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
During what is already a abysmally bad week for the McCain/Palin campaign

I didn't see anything bad for the McCain/Palin campaign this week.

They were both in the news consistently everyday while Obama was no where to be found.

That is a good week in the eyes of Americans.

Any news even if should be perceived as bad is good news in America.

Republicans are the masters of the media.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Ted Stevens is an asshole. and if Sarah Palin endorses him, fuck her too.

but I wouldn't condemn her for working for the most powerful politician in Alaska early in her career. Stevens was the only game in town in Alaska for a long, long time.

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001
Stevens can't go to jail fast enough. The only shame is that more politicians aren't going with him.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
I love it, Steven's blames his wife for not checking what he should have.. While saying, no the Lord did not buy me a Mercedes Benz, but a cut rate mustang does make amends. Can I help if dialing for dollars always finds me. I always pay for my night on the town, but don't bother to notice the super expensive expensive generator installed while I was gone. There is no corruption in sonny or honey, or me.

Feb 24, 2001
Had a seminar a few minutes ago that said that the Feds screwed up on the evidence and the case may get thrown out on those grounds. Anyone know anything about that?

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
The judge has already thrown out parts of the evidence, and the chief witness against Stevens is the very slimeball doing the renovations and not submitting a realistic bill.

Is Stevens corrupt? That is almost a given. Has the government proven it, is the question a jury must decide. If the jury decides no, Stevens is home free, if the jury decides yes,
then its not hard to foresee appeals stretching beyond Steven's remaining life expectancy.