Ted Cruz to Texas "Come to Cancun with me the Weather is great".

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Cruz tweets photos of himself handing out water to Texas residents. Too little, too late. Comments are brilliant:

"Hey, look, @SenTedCruz has become @AOC ‘s bag boy!".... :p

well, at least he's consistent. He only shows up when the sun is out and the snow and ice are gone. Hey, he ain't going outside if he has to wear a jacket! NOSIR!

Nov 17, 2019
Ahhhh, poor FledTed, nobody wuvs him ......

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
Ahhhh, poor FledTed, nobody wuvs him ......

Let me make sure I've got this straight. A disaster of large magnitude hits his state and he and his wife decide to abscond with their children to warmer climes because, well, it's cold in their house. His wife tweets friends and neighbors about the trip, urging them to join the party. Ted lies repeatedly about the trip and the reasoning behind taking it, and some of his friends and neighbors release his wife's tweets.

It's not his fault for scurrying out of his state when it's facing a disaster. It's not his fault for lying to everyone about it. It's not his wife's fault for tweeting stuff that didn't match up with his lies. It's all his friends'/neighbors' fault. They're assholes for repeating the tweets Mrs Cruz made. How dare they? And, of course, the asshole neighbors who released the tweets, well, they must be Democrats.

Incredible.

Nov 8, 2012
Let me make sure I've got this straight. A disaster of large magnitude hits his state and he and his wife decide to abscond with their children to warmer climes because, well, it's cold in their house. His wife tweets friends and neighbors about the trip, urging them to join the party. Ted lies repeatedly about the trip and the reasoning behind taking it, and some of his friends and neighbors release his wife's tweets.

It's not his fault for scurrying out of his state when it's facing a disaster. It's not his fault for lying to everyone about it. It's not his wife's fault for tweeting stuff that didn't match up with his lies. It's all his friends'/neighbors' fault. They're assholes for repeating the tweets Mrs Cruz made. How dare they? And, of course, the asshole neighbors who released the tweets, well, they must be Democrats.

Incredible.

We've been over this already /facepalm

Ted Cruz as federal senator has very little in his hands as far as responsibility. He is responsible for representing the state of Texas in DC. Thats his ACTUAL role. Sure, he can help out - be it in person or over the phone - but he isn't in anyway obligated to or responsible to.

Vs. Democrats who PREACH one thing - but do another. Rules are for thee, but not for meeee!

Ted Cruz didn't preach one thing but do another. He wanted to go on vacation - and you wanted him to stay at home and suffer. That's really all it boils down to.

See Austin mayor releasing videos from his vacation in Mexico about how people shouldn't travel for the holidays during COVID. Boy gosh, golly, you sure thought that one through didn't you Mayor Dipshit?

Then of course we have many other Democrat examples of "Don't go out to restaurants or hair salons! Were closing them down! It's too dangerous for you to go!" Again, rules for thee, but not for mee!

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999

Ted Cruz as federal senator has very little in his hands as far as responsibility. He is responsible for representing the state of Texas in DC. Thats his ACTUAL role. Sure, he can help out - be it in person or over the phone - but he isn't in anyway obligated to or responsible to.

Vs. Democrats who PREACH one thing - but do another. Rules are for thee, but not for meeee!

Ted Cruz didn't preach one thing but do another. He wanted to go on vacation - and you wanted him to stay at home and suffer. That's really all it boils down to.

See Austin mayor releasing videos from his vacation in Mexico about how people shouldn't travel for the holidays during COVID. Boy gosh, golly, you sure thought that one through didn't you Mayor Dipshit?

Then of course we have many other Democrat examples of "Don't go out to restaurants or hair salons! Were closing them down! It's too dangerous for you to go!" Again, rules for thee, but not for mee!

You are such a boot licker.

Reactions: Meghan54 and Pohemi

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001

Well, except for the lying and the lying and the lying and the blaming of his neighbors for releasing the tweets that confirmed the lying (after it had been shown by his airline reservations.) And while he didn't tell people to stay home and then go himself (which has nothing to do with what his actions actually were and which I never said he did), his governor asked everyone to stay off the roads. Of course, I'm sure he didn't mean if you just had to get to the airport to go to Cancun. :rolleyes:

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009

So Cruz is not responsible for Texas policy but Pelosi IS responsible for California policy. Got it.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004

And people are still entirely justified for calling him out on it.

A politician's ultimate mandate is to serve their constituents, to put the public ahead of themselves. If millions of people in your state are expected to suffer, your first thought should be "how do I help," even if you can't issue orders or pass legislation. You certainly shouldn't think "I need to get out of this hellhole" like Cruz did.

And did any of us say that what Adler, Newsom or others did was acceptable? No. Neither Democrat politicians nor their voters think in lockstep; they're allowed to blast irresponsible behavior on their own side, and many of them do, without feeling like they've betrayed their party.

Like was mentioned earlier, it's a bit rich to attack AOC, O'Rourke and others for making a public show of helping when Cruz had to be shamed into doing a basic photo op. Even if those Dems are doing it for the optics, they're still being genuinely helpful in the process; I'll take that over Cruz's naked self-centeredness every day.

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004

If I did that in the fucking factory I work at during a time of crisis I'd be let go or at least admonished. If there was a problem out on the floor and I left my office to go to lunch instead there would be hell to pay. Don't tell me the common working man is held to a higher standard than a Senator? If you asked someone to define leadership, the correct answer would be "the exact opposite of what Senator Cruz did".

The only people worse are those that would vote for him again and still defend his actions.

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
The only people worse are those that would vote for him again and still defend his actions.
You mean such as this fucking clown who continues to handwave away any shortcomings and bad optics from Cruz?

While pointing fingers at Democrats who are ACTUALLY helping people while not even being elected officials of the state?

Yeah. Pretty disingenuous, isn't it? Well...that's typical s0me0nesaFuckTard posting.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
You mean such as this fucking clown who continues to handwave away any shortcomings and bad optics from Cruz?

While pointing fingers at Democrats who are ACTUALLY helping people while not even being elected officials of the state?

Yeah. Pretty disingenuous, isn't it? Well...that's typical s0me0nesaFuckTard posting.

The things the right wing can rationalize these days are bonkers. A majority of their political existence is cognitive dissonance.

Reactions: Pohemi

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
It is the whole "keeping a straight face" after you cook up said shit.
Republican politicians and conservative pundits are so used to lying they dont even need effort to keep a straight face. Its just normal conversation to them.
I wonder if this is what a nation looks like right before it collapses.

Reactions: Pohemi