Question [TechYesCity] Important PSA - be careful of "piggy tail" PSU cables with higher-end (especially Ampere) GPUs.

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
Interesting, so the failure point is where the cable plugs into the PSU itself. A slow burn style failure also. Would not have expected that. Certainly have not seen it myself. But it does make sense.

Been using piggy tail cables for years without issue, but I suppose it is time to reform my ways. I did reroute the cables in my case after watching the video, more of an abundance of safety on concerning my precious then anything else.

Never seen a power supply without them, and they seem mandatory in multi-gpu systems. This probably means I have spent my entire life with low end power supplies? I would not have thought that, but what do I know.

Last edited:
Reactions: lobz

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Interesting, so the failure point is where the cable plugs into the PSU itself. Would not have expected that. Certainly have not seen it myself. But it does make sense.
I've read elsewhere, that the max wattage @ 12V that the standard 6-pin PCI-E cables can carry, is 228W. So it stands to reason, therefore, that a video card that would appoach or exceed that wattage, needs TWO actual PSU direct cables, and not splitters or piggy-tails.

I really need to check my two mining server rigs, to make sure that the cables and connectors look OK after six months of (continuous) service.

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
I've read elsewhere, that the max wattage @ 12V that the standard 6-pin PCI-E cables can carry, is 228W. So it stands to reason, therefore, that a video card that would appoach or exceed that wattage, needs TWO actual PSU direct cables, and not splitters or piggy-tails.

I really need to check my two mining server rigs, to make sure that the cables and connectors look OK after six months of (continuous) service.

Perhaps considering checking your wattage first. Both the rx580 and vega56 I have mining are both below 200watts. However my 6900xt mines at 254 watts, and I just re-did the cables on that one a few minutes ago.

I always thought the issue was in multi-rail power supplies not supplying enough power through a single rail, but seeing the wire insulation melt was a shocker to me. I guess single rail power supplies have their own reason to use multiple wire sets.

Last edited: