[TechSpot] Gaming at 4K: GTX 970 SLI vs. AMD R9 290 Crossfire

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SirPauly

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2009
imho,

At least it is back to normal; it's always a bit odd to read or see nVidia offer such strong price/performance with examples like the GTX 970. Now, its time for pricing adjustments based on premium pricing once again based on AMD's unbeatable, value offerings for smart, consumer agnostic consumers. It has been the basic theme for some time and repeats itself.

Maxwell was disruptive based on it did bring strong price/value for many products -- from the GTX 780ti to the Radeon 290.

There is plenty of information out there for individuals to make the right choice based on their subjective needs, tastes, tolerances, thresholds and wallet considerations. The key is there are vast consumer differences and needs and why I offer, ultimately, the market decides. There are no clear winners or losers for all.

Mondozei

Golden Member
Jul 7, 2013
I'd like to add my sincere thanks to a great post, RS.
I was surprised to see the power consumption figures. I got a 290 Tri-X and now that the prices are going way down, I was thinking about CF but the massive wattage kept me skeptical.

Can you elaborate on how the power consumption can be so close to the 970?

Thanks.

el etro

Golden Member
Jul 21, 2013
I'd like to add my sincere thanks to a great post, RS.
I was surprised to see the power consumption figures. I got a 290 Tri-X and now that the prices are going way down, I was thinking about CF but the massive wattage kept me skeptical.

Can you elaborate on how the power consumption can be so close to the 970?

Thanks.

Use your GPU-z(make sure you have the latest GPU-z) sensors readings to measure your 290 Tri-X power consumption. I thank for your data if you bother to get this to us.

guskline

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2006
My 2 Sapphire Tri-X 290s OC'd to 1075 core/ 1400 memory show 259Watts each when running 3Dmark13 ultra

Last edited:

el etro

Golden Member
Jul 21, 2013
My 2 Sapphire Tri-X 290s OC'd to 1075 core/ 1400 memory show 259Watts each when running 3Dmark13 ultra

Very well. According to the data i saw, GK110 is 10-20% more power efficient than Hawaii. Much better picture than what we saw in most reviews...