[TechSpot and Tom's] Crysis 3 GPU and CPU benchmarks

Termie

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
www.techbuyersguru.com
UPDATE: Performance Review from Tom's Hardware - 3/5/12

Link: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/crysis-3-performance-benchmark-gaming,3451.html

-----------------------------

http://www.techspot.com/review/642-crysis-3-performance/

Crysis 3 is out and is the system-killer it was designed to be.

I've seen lots of posts on the forum from people complaining that their new rigs can't play the game at max. Kind of ironic because the complaint leveled at most other games is that new rigs CAN play them at max.

Anyway, looks like a graphics tour-de-force and a benchmark we'll all be using for years to come.

Two observations:
- AMD needs some updated drivers
- the game is very sensitive to CPU threads and speeds. OC'ing brings big gains at medium settings with both Ivy Bridge and Vishera.

Last edited:

Jaydip

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2010
I am glad that 580 aged so gracefully compared to AMD alternatives.It is a gaming evolved title right?

BrightCandle

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2007
I am glad that 580 aged so gracefully compared to AMD alternatives.It is a gaming evolved title right?

I suspect with the next generation it will be the other way around, the 7970 is the superior hardware this time around.

OP is right, its great we have a game that pushes the PC and looks fabulous. I don't want the game to run on current hardware, I want people to want to upgrade their GPUs to make the game look like it can at its best. Pushing today's highest systems is fantastic news for us all. The PS4 players will be looking at their release FPS and Crysis on PC and making faces going "Why is the PC kicking my new PS4's ass so hard?!"

Haserath

Sep 12, 2010
I suspect with the next generation it will be the other way around, the 7970 is the superior hardware this time around.

OP is right, its great we have a game that pushes the PC and looks fabulous. I don't want the game to run on current hardware, I want people to want to upgrade their GPUs to make the game look like it can at its best. Pushing today's highest systems is fantastic news for us all. The PS4 players will be looking at their release FPS and Crysis on PC and making faces going "Why is the PC kicking my new PS4's ass so hard?!"

Probably not since the last gen is VLIW Vs SIMD, and now they're both SIMD.

Aristotelian

Golden Member
Jan 30, 2010

Well, I haven't tried Crysis 3 yet. Crysis 2 would drop below 60fps at parts, maxed out on overclocked 580s in SLI with an overclocked 2600k, at 2560x1440. Looks like 580s in SLI won't manage such performance on Crysis 3 - in fact significantly less. May be time for an upgrade...

Jaydip

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2010
Well, I haven't tried Crysis 3 yet. Crysis 2 would drop below 60fps at parts, maxed out on overclocked 580s in SLI with an overclocked 2600k, at 2560x1440. Looks like 580s in SLI won't manage such performance on Crysis 3 - in fact significantly less. May be time for an upgrade...

Of course but compare 580 to 6970 and you will see it holds a very large advantage right there.Limited frame buffer and lower memory speed is probably hurting 580 in crysis 3.

Jaydip

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2010

My thoughts exactly.

BallaTheFeared

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2010
I would guess a driver problem, or perhaps there is more tessellation?

Looks like I'd be lucky to get 36 fps on high at 1080p.

I'm glad they left out Titan though, I couldn't bare to see that :(

Skurge

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2009
Of course but compare 580 to 6970 and you will see it holds a very large advantage right there.Limited frame buffer and lower memory speed is probably hurting 580 in crysis 3.

Wait till people come into the thread and claim Fermi is a stuttery mess. The game looks perfectly smooth on my roommates 580. Just as smooth my 6990. Gonna try single and crossfire 7850s this weekend in the game and see how it compares.

felang

Feb 17, 2007
Seems like they tested the first level only, doesn´t this level has some sort of bug that hinders performance?

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
I wish they had done the tests with FXAA as well.

Oddly according to their charts it says I should be averaging under 30fps, it certainly doesn't feel that low.

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
Seems like they tested the first level only, doesn´t this level has some sort of bug that hinders performance?

Any time there is a rope on the screen in the first level there is a huge fps drop. Maldo's blog has an investigation about it.

sontin

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2011

Not really. They only paid EA for the sponsoring rights. Crytek worked closely with nVidia.

csbin

Feb 4, 2013
:hmm:

0k2oSpF.png

tgkR01D.png

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
Not really. They only paid EA for the sponsoring rights. Crytek worked closely with nVidia.

AMD got involved when the game was all but finished. It's slapped in there because crysis 3 was almost done when EA made it's deal to make all titles gaming evolved.

MTDEW

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
The higher the number of threads the better for Crysis 3, that's why 4 cores or more are recommended.
The other benchmarks we have seen on these forums haven't really indicated such a large performance boost with HT enabled on Intel cpu's. (5fps-6fps at most, last i read on theses forums)

MalDo's findings have me testing my 2600k OC'ing profiles with HT enabled. :biggrin:
Which obviously are a bit lower than my OC profiles with HT disabled to see which performs better. (lower OC with HT on vs max OC with HT off)

So, for whatever it was worth to whomever, i felt MalDo's numbers were worth mentioning for those who "can" enable HT.

Anyway, so much for thinking x-fired 7950's or sli'ed 670's were overkill for 1920x1200.
I now have my main rig connected back to my 1920x1200 monitor instead of my 2560x1440 Catleap. :thumbsup:

Baasha

Golden Member
Jan 4, 2010
Just came across this. By any chance, any of you tried this ?
Crysis 3 - 30% Framerate and Performance Boost, and FPS Cap Removal

Screwing around with CPU time cycles for a game, or for that matter, any application is beyond asking for trouble.

I mean, I'm no hardware expert, but the engineers at Intel are. I trust them more than some muppet in a basement hacking hex code to change the behavior of important and relatively expensive hardware.

I too thought of using that until I read more about it. It could very well work without issue for most. Yet, I am not willing to take that risk just for a game IMO.