[techpowerup] AMD, Battlefield 4 will be in Never Settle bundle,there will be no DX12

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
http://www.techpowerup.com/182416/T...4-Part-of-Next-Bundle-AMD-Vice-President.html

Advancements in PC graphics technology could be on the verge of a slump, according to GPU major AMD. In an interview with German publication Heise.de, AMD vice president of global channel sales, stated that his company doesn't believe there will be a DirectX 12 API, at least not as far as the company can see. The timing of this statement is particularly important, as both AMD and NVIDIA are expected to unveil next-generation graphics products by the end of the year.

Neither Microsoft's Windows 8 operating system, nor the rumored Windows "Blue" 8.1, could ship with a newer DirectX version. Taylor was responding to a question from Heise about next-generation GPUs and technologies they could be built around, to which he replied that normally, new DirectX versions stimulate introduction of new GPU architectures, but there won't be a DirectX 12, and so the company's next-generation GPUs will integrate other technologies. Answering another question, Taylor hinted that Battlefield 4, EA's upcoming entry to the hit online FPS multiplayer franchise, could be part of the company's next "Never Settle" bundle.

http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meld...h-Es-wird-kein-DirectX-12-kommen-1835338.html

Full interview is in German. They touch on the PS4, TressFX and something to do with an igpu I think.

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
Battlefield 4 looks no different than 3.

You need an eye examination if you think that. I saw a significant leap in texture detail, character animation and destructibility in the BF4 demo over BF3. Lighting also seemed to be improved as well..

Black Octagon

Golden Member
Dec 10, 2012
Good. DX10 implementation has barely reached the stage where its features truly work as they should. DX11 still has a long way to go.

wand3r3r

Diamond Member
May 16, 2008
I wonder if there will be in Win 9 or 10? I'd be surprised if they just quit updating dx. I think the comment can be misconstrued and is merely meaning not in the near future.

MeldarthX

Golden Member
May 8, 2010
I wonder if there will be in Win 9 or 10? I'd be surprised if they just quit updating dx. I think the comment can be misconstrued and is merely meaning not in the near future.

One of the biggest things now holding back gaming is DX - MS wants to drop it for a more unified api - one that can be used on the xbox and pc from what I was reading...

That is why most likely there won't be DX12 - but new unified api from them....

BrightCandle

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2007
If in the process of replacing DX with something else they help reduce the latency associated with the pipeline that would be very nice. Clearly now with the occulus rift coming out we are going to want a pretty big improvement in incidental latency caused by things like the context queue and vsync.

Black Octagon

Golden Member
Dec 10, 2012
^+1! Even if PC graphics technology IS starting to stagnate, it's nonetheless exciting to see review sites start to investigate smoothness with metrics that go beyond mere frames/second. I like to think that this inquiry could indeed lead to improvements in the way that APIs and games are written. I'm hoping that new generations of consoles will help to stave off this stagnation.

Eureka

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
These bundles are great! I think the fact that they keep picking up AAA games means that they're not losing money off it.

OTOH, it means we can get these games for $20-30 when ebay gets saturated. :)

You need an eye examination if you think that. I saw a significant leap in texture detail, character animation and destructibility in the BF4 demo over BF3. Lighting also seemed to be improved as well..

The demo is going to be cherry picked... while there's going to be improvements all around, I wouldn't say it's a significant leap.

Last edited:

MeldarthX

Golden Member
May 8, 2010
most likely Eureka; but long as I can still bring down a building to kill a sniper i'll be happy :D

Spjut

Apr 9, 2011
Good. DX10 implementation has barely reached the stage where its features truly work as they should. DX11 still has a long way to go.

As long as games in DX10/11 run better than DX9 at the same settings, it's good for me.
The sooner they bring a more efficient DirectX than 11, the better. The studios can still choose what hardware to target anyway.

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
The lack of DX12 or a very long wait for it doesn't surprise me. New consoles are coming with DX11 feature capable GPUs in them. Expect DX11 games for a long time to come. Microsoft also seems to be taking Windows away from a purely desktop OS to something mobile oriented.

I don't know that PC gaming is stagnating, but it is the smallest gaming demographic compared to mobile/tablet gaming and console gaming. It's also getting more expensive considering the price of GPUs is rising exponentially for the same amount of manufactured die size.

On Battlefield 4.. you can download the full uncompressed video running at 60fps of the gameplay reveal. It looks a lot better than BF3, the most impressive thing is a huge increase in texture quality, something that BF3 fails at badly in some areas. Also facial animation is massively improved and most importantly the gameplay changing physics have been made even more extensive.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-watch-bf4-at-60fps

f1sherman

Platinum Member
Apr 5, 2011

EA kidnapped DICE and are holding them ransom for their COD-with-vehicles desert shooter.

We can't really expect DICE to release something revolutionary while working in captivity.

Arkadrel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2010
EA kidnapped DICE and are holding them ransom for their COD-with-vehicles desert shooter.

We can't really expect DICE to release something revolutionary while working in captivity.

They must do good work under pressure.
I unlike Shephard was impressed with the video.

Have you watched the video Shephard?

Xarick

Golden Member
May 17, 2006
I wonder if Nvidia is just giving up on the desktop graphics market.
TWIMTBP seems to have completely gone by the wayside.

tviceman

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2008
www.facebook.com
AMD also said they can't keep up with Moore's law transitioning to 20nm. Their may not be a DX12, but lately the technically foreward looking comments coming out of AMD are pessimistic with respect to both the industry's and their own ability to innovate.

Nvidia hasn't said anything about not being able to keep up with Moore's law, but they have complained about the costs of transitioning. Perhaps it is the same basic argument.

BallaTheFeared

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2010
Yes, AMD is whining about not having the R&D funds for newer tech, Nvidia is crying because their profits are going towards funding newer tech, and Intel is laughing all the way to the bank on a more advanced node...

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
The lack of DX12 or a very long wait for it doesn't surprise me. New consoles are coming with DX11 feature capable GPUs in them. Expect DX11 games for a long time to come. Microsoft also seems to be taking Windows away from a purely desktop OS to something mobile oriented.

I don't know that PC gaming is stagnating, but it is the smallest gaming demographic compared to mobile/tablet gaming and console gaming. It's also getting more expensive considering the price of GPUs is rising exponentially for the same amount of manufactured die size.

On Battlefield 4.. you can download the full uncompressed video running at 60fps of the gameplay reveal. It looks a lot better than BF3, the most impressive thing is a huge increase in texture quality, something that BF3 fails at badly in some areas. Also facial animation is massively improved and most importantly the gameplay changing physics have been made even more extensive.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-watch-bf4-at-60fps

Links are dead, and mirror's are limited to 64kb/s =(

badb0y

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2010
Wow, they got BF4....wtf is TWIMTBP doing these days? It seems like every AAA game has gone to AMD since AC3.

Xarick

Golden Member
May 17, 2006
I wonder if Nvidia got call of duty. It has historically sold more than the BF series.

Rvenger

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator <br> Video Cards
Apr 6, 2004
Yes, AMD is whining about not having the R&D funds for newer tech, Nvidia is crying because their profits are going towards funding newer tech, and Intel is laughing all the way to the bank on a more advanced node...

AMD specifically said they do not lack resources.

"We have new products. We have a roadmap. We are not sitting still, we do not lack resources, and we do not lack imagination. Let me be clear: The new products will be a new architecture."

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2028408/amd-to-release-new-radeon-hd-8000-graphics-cards-in-2013.html

Arkadrel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2010
Wow, they got BF4....wtf is TWIMTBP doing these days? It seems like every AAA game has gone to AMD since AC3.
I wonder if Nvidia is just giving up on the desktop graphics market.
TWIMTBP seems to have completely gone by the wayside.

AMD specifically said they do not lack resources.

"We have new products. We have a roadmap. We are not sitting still, we do not lack resources, and we do not lack imagination. Let me be clear: The new products will be a new architecture."

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2028408/amd-to-release-new-radeon-hd-8000-graphics-cards-in-2013.html

AMD plans to continue offering bundles&#8212;including some with image editing software, for the non-gamers who need some extra visual firepower&#8212;to drive home the point that, yes, the Radeon 7000 series is very much graphically competitive.
+

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Adobe-AMD-Premiere-FirePro-OpenCL,21872.html

AMD & Adobe Collaborate: Next Version of Premiere Pro Supports Hardware-Acceleration on AMD Graphics

The performance increases are said to be so dramatic that with the proper hardware it should be possible to render DV, HD and even 4K Ultra HD fast enough for it to be done on the fly, real time. This is accomplished using OpenCL.

Someone must have really lit a fire under AMDs arse or something.
Lately it seems to be take a much more active role.