Technical skills interviews: what is the goal?

NuclearNed

Raconteur
May 18, 2001
So yesterday I had a technical skills interview for a programming position. The interview was over the telephone, and lasted for about half an hour (the interviewer said that this was the allotted time for the interview). I can modestly say that I'm a very good programmer and I have the proof (commendations from employers, etc.). That said, historically I suck at technical skills interviews. I have the skills, but its like my mind goes blank at the onset, only to turn back on right when I hang up the phone.

For the interviewer, what is the goal of this type of interview? Last night the guy gave me 3 difficult problems to solve, and I probably had a good answer for only one of them. Are they really looking for an answer to the problem, or is their primary goal just to observe your thought processes and problem solving techniques?

I need good advice - I should have another such interview with a different company in the next week or two.

mrrman

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2004
I think its more of how to you handle yourself under pressure with just reasoning..sometimes there is more than one right answer to the question as long as you can explain it. As for myself, I am quite technical and enjoy a good challenge.

They want you to talk out the problem, instead of just keeping silent and thinking about it. Talking it out proves that you work well with others and can share your ideas with co-workers in a meeting or other collaborative situation.

The recruiters realize that people get nervous and draw blanks, but if you can rationally move through a problem on the phone, it'll help them determine if you'll be a good addition to their work environment.

Looney

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
'Tests' like these are more intuitive than empirical... they're not so much wanting the correct answer, but how you deal with the problem... even if you got it wrong, the way you deal with them can help them decide what kind of problem solver you are. It's not a very good aptitude test, but it's a quick and dirty way to let them know if you're good... if you are, you'll impress them. That doesn't mean everybody that does bad on them are bad problem solver... there are lots of variable, maybe you got drunk last night, maybe you don't do well over the phone, maybe you didn't have your coffee yet, maybe you didn't quite understand him over the phone, etc, etc.

NuclearNed

Raconteur
May 18, 2001
What everyone has said so far is what I was hoping is correct.

For the interview yesterday there were long periods where I was extremely quiet while I worked things out on paper, because I was focussed on finding a correct answer. For the next interview I'll try to talk things out more and not worry so much about how good my final answer is. Just knowing that they are not particularly looking for the right answer actually takes a lot of pressure off of me, so I should do better next time.