Technical question about The Matrix

Pastore

Diamond Member
Feb 9, 2000
Ok, so the whole point of the Matrix was that the machines made the human world as we know it to provide energy for them... So, my question is, how do they get this power from us? Like extract it from us? How do they do it?

Pretender

Banned
Mar 14, 2000
heat energy. He (morpheus) mentioned something about humans generating xxx btu per hour, and then did the whole duracell battery/human comparison

Pastore

Diamond Member
Feb 9, 2000
yeah, but those things were only on you until you were born... How would they collect the body heat?

Pretender

Banned
Mar 14, 2000
remember how they're each inside a capsule filled with liquid and crap? the walls of the capsule probably absorb heat. This is all speculation, because it's not important how, but that it is true.

atom

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 1999
They have all those wires stuck into the humans. Like whe Neo woke up there were all those wires in him. The one in the back of his head was a connection to the matrix and I'm guessing all the other black wires are used to get energy.

ThisIsMatt

Banned
Aug 4, 2000

<< yeah, but those things were only on you until you were born... How would they collect the body heat? >>

Huh? The probes were in them all their lives.

why are you asking this anyway, it's just a movie.

earthman

Golden Member
Oct 16, 1999
The Matrix was a very cool movie, but like most sci-fi movies it falls flat on its face when it come to any real &quot;science&quot;.
The huge machines and infrastructures depicted could not have been generated with just the mental energy or heat energy or whatever from human bodies. I think the point of the movie was that reality is a relative thing, and maybe its not always what we think.

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
Well, they had an &quot;escape phrase&quot; of sorts. They mentioned at one point it was body heat and some kind of 'fusion' power.

Nevo

Banned
May 28, 2001
Never mind the fact that the machines could probably get lots more heat energy just by burning whatever they were feeding humans, instead of feeding it to humans and collecting body heat.

Believe it or not, the human body is quite inefficient at producing heat. ;)

Noriaki

Lifer
Jun 3, 2000

<< Believe it or not, the human body is quite inefficient at producing heat. >>

I dunno sex can get pretty hot.

<--- has no idea cuz he's a virgin.

element

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
They shoulda had them on treadmills or something instead of that red goop.

BTW, there really is liquid that you can breathe in existence. It was invented in the mid-late 80s. It looks red just like the goop in the matrix too. It's saturated with enough oxygen for you to breathe. I saw it on the news back when they came up with it, they said it works but its scary when you first try to breathe it cause it feels like your gonna drown, even tho you won't.

edit:
here's more info on the liquid

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999

<< BTW, there really is liquid that you can breathe in existence. It was invented in the mid-late 80s. It looks red just like the goop in the matrix too. It's saturated with enough oxygen for you to breathe. I saw it on the news back when they came up with it, they said it works but its scary when you first try to breathe it cause it feels like your gonna drown, even tho you won't. >>

Sounds like the stuff that they used in the movie &quot;The Abyss&quot;. It's a liquid oxygen stuff that they more or less drown you in.

kamiam

Banned
Dec 12, 1999
the main actor in the abyss (cant remember his name) actually tried doing that...it was developed for very deep dives in the navy...the actor had problems and almost died