Technical network question

Cooky

Golden Member
Apr 2, 2002
How can I calculate T4 for both non-preemptive and preemptive mode, considering an M/G/1 system with 5 priority classes??

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Tallgeese

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2001
Ummmm....start drinking heavily? :confused:

Seriously, is this question in the right forum?

L3Guy

Apr 19, 2001
Netbios/Netbeui had a T1, T2, T3, Ti.

I don't remember the default values, but I remember that the values were bounded by T1 < T2 < T3. ?

Doug

Cooky

Golden Member
Apr 2, 2002
TallGeese,
Now you know I'm not drinking...
Thanks for the websites, though I was looking for queing theory on Network, not CPU....
Anyone out there know what the heck I'm talking about please reply.....

Tallgeese

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2001

<< Anyone out there know what the heck I'm talking about please reply..... >>

Not to say there won't be anyone here who actually knows this (I just got a headache trying to read the stuff I pulled up using Google), but I'm thinkin you might get faster results in "Highly Technical"

Garion

Platinum Member
Apr 23, 2001
You're looking to do some kind of priority-based networking queueing analysis. Sure, I do this stuff for fun. This wierd old guy across the street, Khosrow Sohraby (we call him Kapitain Krows) taught me all about it.

Actually, aren't there tools to help you do this? I seem to recall something called TK Solver that came out a few years ago and will do this kind of calculation for you. Why do it yourself?

If all else fails, here is a series of class notes on how to solve this kind of a problem. Covers M/G/1 with variable priority classes and also some other related stuff like G/G/1. If you're asking this question, the math should be comprehensable.

- G

Cooky

Golden Member
Apr 2, 2002
Thanks for TallGeese and Garion's help!!
To be honest this is for my school work; I'd do it myself if I knew how but I have no clue whatsoever....