Technet renewal $108

Aug 26, 2004
this is a smoking deal, but i've never heard of this company...anyone have any experience?

why is MS reselling technet subs through a 3rd party?

forgive me for being suspicious, but i've learned that when something sounds too good to be true.....

jjmIII

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2001
this is a smoking deal, but i've never heard of this company...anyone have any experience?

Yes, Costcentral sold some of those cheap HP DDR2 1gb sticks a year+ back. They seem to be a good company.

I don't want to renew until I know we get Win8.

cubeless

Diamond Member
Sep 17, 2001
didn't they change the program a bit? you don't get as many licences as before or some restriction?

it was a great deal last time when i was able to upgrade all my home test pc's...

mleejr

Oct 19, 2007
why does this have shipping when I download everything off of the Microsoft site?

batmanuel

Platinum Member
Jan 15, 2003
didn't they change the program a bit? you don't get as many licences as before or some restriction?

it was a great deal last time when i was able to upgrade all my home test pc's...

For Standard, you only get 2 keys now instead of 10, but it isn't as huge of an issue as you would think because it is per version of the software (i.e. you get 2 for Win 7 Home Premium, 2 for Pro, 2 for Ultimate, even 2 each for all the N versions).

I think the Professional level has been dropped to 5 keys from 10 as well. Unfortunately the jackholes who were buying Technet subs and selling keys on eBay ruined a good thing for everyone.

Last edited:

Udgnim

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2008
forgive my ignorance, but does the software that is available from a Technet sub also have a 1 year license attached to them or does the software have no expiration limitation?

edit: found out through google that keys from Technet operate like Retail keys so there is no expiration limit, just a hardware match limitation if using the same key repeatedly

Last edited:

Zargon

Lifer
Nov 3, 2009

why is MS reselling technet subs through a 3rd party?

forgive me for being suspicious, but i've learned that when something sounds too good to be true.....

I bought my technet subscription from them around xmas time

got it with no issues

mleejr

Oct 19, 2007
Ok, again...why do they have shipping? Microsoft had direct downloads. Why do I need a disk to go to Microsoft and download their software?

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
Good prices, but I think I'm going to let my subscription lapse until Win8 comes out. Microsoft has nothing in the works until next year, so there is really no reason to renew. Once Windows 8 and all the associated Windows Server versions come out, that will be the time to buy it again. The only thing I would be missing out is Denali, but I suppose I can wait 6-9 months before getting it.

Zargon

Lifer
Nov 3, 2009
Ok, again...why do they have shipping? Microsoft had direct downloads. Why do I need a disk to go to Microsoft and download their software?

this is the lil boxed package with a code on it, and they mail it to you

country2

May 1, 2001
Just like last year when they had it pretty cheap..its OOS back order 2-3 weeks even though website still shows stock.

I order but like last time BO 2-3 weeks then 1 month after that I cancelled and bought from MS.

Evadman

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Feb 18, 2001
I think the Professional level has been dropped to 5 keys from 10 as well.

I have the professional sub, and can confirm this is true. However, you can call MS and ask for more keys. I've never had a problem getting more.

JBT

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
this is the lil boxed package with a code on it, and they mail it to you

Assuming this is true. Do you all think we could hold on to it to reactive a sub in say a few months, so we know it will include Windows 8?

Zargon

Lifer
Nov 3, 2009
I dont know, they do have expirations on them I beleive, but not sure how long. Mine isnt due till December, so I havent worried about it yet

Lifted

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2004
I'm not in Technet, Can I buy this to sign up?

No, you need this new license which runs $165.

Microsoft called me at work constantly to renew my subscription, so I finally just said screw it and renewed it so they would stop calling. Renewal price direct from Microsoft was $249... $271 after tax. Not my money, but still, seems steep for a renewal.

Edit: Nevermind, I have the Professional subscription, which is $226 for a renewal at costcentral.

BTW, I use costcentral quite a bit at work. They are better than newegg for price and service, though they are closer to CDW in terms of what they stock, with prices cheaper than neweggs. I've been using them instead of CDW a lot of orders over the past year or so, though it pays to keep the CDW rep happy w/ some orders here and there.

Last edited:

LongTimePCUser

Jul 1, 2000
I have read that with standard that you get 2 keys per version and that you are allowed to activate up to 5 PCs with each key.

For Standard, you only get 2 keys now instead of 10, but it isn't as huge of an issue as you would think because it is per version of the software (i.e. you get 2 for Win 7 Home Premium, 2 for Pro, 2 for Ultimate, even 2 each for all the N versions).

markrb38

Nov 19, 2004
My TechNet subscription lapsed in 2009. Will I be allowed to restart or is it considered completely closed and I have to start over?

staraptor

Jun 10, 2011

I think the Professional level has been dropped to 5 keys from 10 as well. Unfortunately the jackholes who were buying Technet subs and selling keys on eBay ruined a good thing for everyone.

wasn't there some thing where people had technet accts that could create unlimited other technet accounts with all keys and everything avail?

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
Microsoft called me at work constantly to renew my subscription, so I finally just said screw it and renewed it so they would stop calling.

nooo! you just gave them more reason to keep calling us! dont buy things unless YOU need them!

my pro sub just lapsed last month. i dont even care. nothing microsoft has coming out matters this year. win8 might even be a failure, and im happy with office 2010 so it might be half a decade before i even think about a sub again.