News [Techcruch] Intel buys AI chipmaker Habana for $2 billion

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
This is just big picture strategy to capture patents while the AI race is still somewhat fluid. It's a decent strategy in the future to gain leverage in IP-sharing agreements so they can implement useful instruction sets and hardware acceleration as the technology matures. It goes hand in hand with their burgeoning GPU development. Many other companies such as Google, Apple, Nvidia, and more are steadily expanding this field.

It's better for us that this is the strategy vs those venture capital IP troll outfits who simply scoop up patents so they can sue everything in sight. It's also somewhat of a rounding error compared to their value.

I wouldn't expect much of this for quite some time, but in ten years this will loom much MUCH larger.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Well, is this the same technology that makes my truck with adaptive cruise control, be so responsive to the drivers ahead of me ? and the lane position sensors knowing where the lanes are > and the other 1000 things my truck now does that could not happen a few years ago ? Including me reprogramming the truck for my bigger tires, and now its perfect, in speed, odometer, MPG, etc ??

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006

Says 'autonomous vehicles' so I guess it's related tech to some degree. Nvidia is big on AI, didn't realize they spent almost 7 billion on the last one, jeez. It's undeniably the future though, so it may look like an outright bargain as time goes on.