Tech CEOs being grilled in congress today

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Hearing in congress about big tech

Didn't see this posted.

Sometime back a Dr. Robert Epstein testified that Google can influence and swing votes by millions. Now the grilling of those CEOs begins.
The amount of influence big tech has should be alarming to everyone, especially when they can have influence over election outcomes.

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
Not sure why Tim Cook is there. Yes evil iDevices used to spread liberal propaganda

Feb 4, 2009
I think this is an area where #bothsides can agree. Google particularly and Facebook have grown too big and have far too little accountability. Google could be broken up into mobile vs desktop, products vs advertising. Not broken up easily but it could be done.
Facebook simply needs some accountability. They need some sort of stick to keep them from promoting bullshit.
Amazon & Apple aren’t as problematic but I do think it is time to talk about apples mobile dominance and it’s browser. Maybe separate the two. Amazon is similar to Facebook they need to be held accountable for shitty/hyper aggressive business practices.

himkhan

Jul 13, 2013
I agree this is a huge problem. Whenever I go to Google News the top headline for every category is one from Fox News. Even though I have clicked not interested and don't show stories from this source they always appear. Tired of Google pushing the conservative agenda. They need to be held accountable.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
You are going into this with some unsubstantiated assumptions, in my opinion. For one thing people can testify to anything but none of that makes it necessarily true. A second assumption I have no reason to share is that big tech has influence over election outcomes that should be alarming. Can you provide data that substantiates both claims?

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
I agree this is a huge problem. Whenever I go to Google News the top headline for every category is one from Fox News. Even though I have clicked not interested and don't show stories from this source they always appear. Tired of Google pushing the conservative agenda. They need to be held accountable.

Not me...

Dec 10, 2005
Amazon & Apple aren’t as problematic but I do think it is time to talk about apples mobile dominance and it’s browser. Maybe separate the two. Amazon is similar to Facebook they need to be held accountable for shitty/hyper aggressive business practices.
Apple seems to have the issue Microsoft had in the 90s - locking out competitors from their ecosystem. But then they are also using their market position and app store to act as an additional gate on the app development side. The latter issue might not be visible on the consumer side, but it's still monopolistic behavior given their share of the market and the closed ecosystem of i-products.

Amazon is also quite anticompetitive. It may not always appear bad for consumers, but our definition of monopoly isn't just "bad for consumers". Price manipulations to force an acquisition of diapers.com seems pretty heavy handed and monopoly behavior. The way they also sell on their own platform also seems pretty anticompetitive - what data are they really using when entering a market with their own branded products?

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
You are going into this with some unsubstantiated assumptions, in my opinion. For one thing people can testify to anything but none of that makes it necessarily true. A second assumption I have no reason to share is that big tech has influence over election outcomes that should be alarming. Can you provide data that substantiates both claims?

This is Dr. Robert Epstein testifying in congress. His research disagrees with you. BTW, he is not a conservative, he's a Hillary supporter.

himkhan

Jul 13, 2013
Not me...

Happens all the time to me. Happens more if I'm not logged into Google. They are always selected as the top story source for any story especially ones related to US and Politics. I'd rather not read them or cnn which has fallen down. Right now for example, the top story is Homeland Security and Oregon settling. Fox is 1, NYT 2, and CNN 3.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Happens all the time to me. Happens more if I'm not logged into Google. They are always selected as the top story source for any story especially ones related to US and Politics. I'd rather not read them or cnn which has fallen down. Right now for example, the top story is Homeland Security and Oregon settling. Fox is 1, NYT 2, and CNN 3.

Strange. I show a mix of all the major news sources, non are predominate...

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
I think this is an area where #bothsides can agree. Google particularly and Facebook have grown too big and have far too little accountability. Google could be broken up into mobile vs desktop, products vs advertising. Not broken up easily but it could be done.
Facebook simply needs some accountability. They need some sort of stick to keep them from promoting bullshit.
Agreed although Amazon needs to be held accountable for their labor practices and the driving behaviors of their marked delivery vehicles.

Feb 4, 2009
Apple seems to have the issue Microsoft had in the 90s - locking out competitors from their ecosystem. But then they are also using their market position and app store to act as an additional gate on the app development side. The latter issue might not be visible on the consumer side, but it's still monopolistic behavior given their share of the market and the closed ecosystem of i-products.

Amazon is also quite anticompetitive. It may not always appear bad for consumers, but our definition of monopoly isn't just "bad for consumers". Price manipulations to force an acquisition of diapers.com seems pretty heavy handed and monopoly behavior. The way they also sell on their own platform also seems pretty anticompetitive - what data are they really using when entering a market with their own branded products?

Yes part one is hardware vs software vs advertising
Paragraph two is about overall shitty business practices as in sell us your shit at a negative margin or we will enter your business or as you said forced acquisitions and so on. Right down to the old practice amazon had that was similar to Microsoft’s Old hated policy and I do know Microsoft stopped I’m not sure amazon has.
Basically set a performance bar and all those under the bar get fired. Say you set the bar at 15% bottom 15% get fired no matter what.
Conservatives let me explain this in a way you’ll understand bottom 15% sounds pretty bad but many times in high volume groups the difference between the top and the bottom is pretty marginal.
Let’s say you run a packing business, instead of setting a packing goal you say the bottom 15% will be fired. Yes you will get quick immediate improvements but they won’t last or you’ll end up doing something stupid that you’ll regret.
You have 20 packers, they averaged 8 packages per day. You introduce the new policy now they’re averaging 12 packages a day but you also have more broken good and mispackaged stuff. Your top two guys are packing 14 items, next 3 are doing 13 packages the rest are doing 10 to 12. You fire the bottom two ten packers, then get a complaint for unfair termination because there still is a 10 packer working. The two new hires pack 10.
Managing like this is easy but super lazy and shows zero respect and destroys team work. Shit I’d sabotage @pcgeek11 work to keep my job.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
This is Dr. Robert Epstein testifying in congress. His research disagrees with you. BTW, he is not a conservative, he's a Hillary supporter.
What I learned is that votes can be delivered by techniques he has been studying, and a black box Into which nobody can see. Forgive me but I am no more convinced than I was before. It’s all a bunch of scary words I am not qualified to evaluate. It is not, however news to me that the psyche can be manipulated. You for example and in my opinion, have been heavily brainwashed to the point I find you to be hysterical.

How are we, either of us, going to know how to create a world free from voter manipulation when we can’t even see how we have been imprisoned ourselves? You know, I hope, that everything we fear has already happened. For example, Ask yourself if all of the manipulation in the world between now and the election is going to affect your vote.

Remember, too, that I was not expressing any resistance to the concerns you raise here, that a few billionaires can influence elections. I only wanted to tell you that the words you used in your OP were Of the nature of opinions and not backed up by any actual convincing data. So whatever my opinion on the matter may be, I still hear nothing I can personally digest as scientifically factual. In fact I might even be too stupid to understand we’re the good Doctor to hold my hand and spoon feed it to me. Possibly, and unlike how I see you, my right amygdala may not be sufficiently enlarged that, having been introduced to the notion that millions and millions of votes could possibly be delivered to Democrats I just cant manage to run around like a chicken minus its head.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
i don't think these congresscritters have any clue what they're asking about.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Hearing in congress about big tech

Didn't see this posted.

Sometime back a Dr. Robert Epstein testified that Google can influence and swing votes by millions. Now the grilling of those CEOs begins.
The amount of influence big tech has should be alarming to everyone, especially when they can have influence over election outcomes.
hahahahaaaaa....yeah right! Anything to keep people from knowing the truth about Trump!!
Why do Republican cry when they get called on their BS?

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Not sure why Tim Cook is there. Yes evil iDevices used to spread liberal propaganda

I don't know about you, but my Apple News feed was filled with Trump slam posts from the Washington Post, New York Times, and Huffington Post before I manually removed them as news sources.

Actually, I removed the New York Times because I don't have a subscription and I kept hitting the weekly article limit. That said, the liberal bias on that platform certainly seemed real to me.

I think that the real reason Tim Cook was there is because you're forced to download applications from the Apple App Store if you have an iPhone, and they get a 30% cut on every purchase you make from it. Even in his wildest dreams, Bill Gates couldn't imagine that kind of monopoly power back in the 90's.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
K Street lobbyists have 10x the “influence” of Big Tech—they’ve bought and paid for politicians and legislation. But somehow, nobody ever really tries to regulate them until some scandal blows up in their face.