Team + World: ~~~ AnandTech FAQ update project! ~~~ Done! ~~~

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mechBgon

Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
Oct 31, 1999
Seventeen-or-Bust FAQ beta is up, but I'm going to need some words of wisdom from those with SB experience, particularly in the Connection requirements area, because the official SB FAQ is down at their site. Someone help me out here! :)

imported_CyberWire

Apr 26, 2000
well there is currently no proxy support for SOB, and units take a little over an hour on a modern pc, so an always on connection is needed. There is no way to cache units.

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
MechBgon

Re SETI

Me & Virge did a load of updates recently on the team.anandtech.com FAQ ,maybe you could use some of that for your FAQ?
(That reminds me I didn't finish the lower links!:eek: )

Phew that took me ages!
rolleye.gif
,I have just sent an email to Virge sending the remaining updates for the teamanandtech.com FAQ.
Atm its only updated as far as the 'I run the Windows 95/98/NT GUI screensaver client, got any performance tips?' link if you want to glean any info from there ;)

I just spotted a mistake in your S@H FAQ ,SETI@home started in April 1999 not 98 ;) (was publicly released in May 99)
Looks good though :)

Btw isn't there a project called TSC?

mechBgon

Oct 31, 1999
Cool, feedbacks noted from all of you and I'll tackle the revisions after work :D Keep it up!

UPDATE: revisions made, including what I hope is a clearer explaination of Sierpinski numbers.

I'm going to try to stick with the overall approach you're seeing: what the project is, how it works, what it can run on, what results it's getting, where it fits into the "bigger picture," where Team AnandTech is at with it, and where to find more details and/or help. I think a consistent overall format will be a credit to the FAQ's.

As for setup instructions, I'm going to link to external FAQ's for the most part. I don't want to lose the reader in an ocean of details before their interest is "hooked" by the nature of the project. :D If setup is very simple, like with 17oB, then I'll throw it in on the merits of its simplicity. Maybe we can host jliechty's and m0ti's FAQ's on www.teamanandtech.com to ensure their long-term availability... where's that ViRGE guy... ;)

I'll try to crank out one or two more beta FAQ's tomorrow. Consider the S@H, 17oB and Find-A-Drug FAQ's to be "RC1"-status. :D

1AM update: some further refinements to 17oB :)

mechBgon

Oct 31, 1999
Munching on a full FAQ for Folding@Home now. Beta version should be on my page within an hour for public ridicule :D

BitSpit

Oct 25, 2001
If it means anything, I'm working on an expanded Find-a-Drug FAQ, although it's actually turning out to be more like a manual. I started on it last night and I've currently written a basic outline, a contents page, and most of the general info pages (pages assuming it's printed or published as a PDF :) )

mechBgon

Oct 31, 1999
If I can get my paws on ViRGE or bphantom I'm going to see if they can add jliechty's and m0ti's FAQ's to www.teamanandtech.com's FAQ list, and yours sounds like another good one to add there. Then the AnandTech FAQ could link to them as a more in-depth resource, plus we'd have additional resources for those who visit teamanandtech.com directly. How's that sound? :)

ProviaFan

Lifer
Mar 17, 2001
I had PMed a basic What-is-Folding@Home FAQ off to AndyHui, but apparently he never posted it on the main AnandTech site. If it wasn't acceptable, I don't know why, but I would have appreciated hearing back from him about what was wrong with it. Anyway, I think mechBgon has a better summary FAQ than I could ever hope to make, so I'll just stick with doing the technical side of things on my site - writing about how to install the GUI and the CLI as a service will be my next steps (as soon as I get the time). We should convince AndyHui to get MechBgon's FAQ published in the DC section at the AnandTech FAQs, and it would also make a good summary FAQ to put on teamanandtech.com.

ProviaFan

Lifer
Mar 17, 2001
Originally posted by: mechBgon
If I can get my paws on ViRGE or bphantom I'm going to see if they can add jliechty's and m0ti's FAQ's to www.teamanandtech.com's FAQ list, and yours sounds like another good one to add there. Then the AnandTech FAQ could link to them as a more in-depth resource, plus we'd have additional resources for those who visit teamanandtech.com directly. How's that sound? :)
Sounds good. The only FAQ of mine that is ready is the CLI one, and I'd rather see your FAQ used for the introduction to F@H instead of the lame page that I have up for said purpose. :eek:

mechBgon

Oct 31, 1999
I think AndyHui may be waiting to post them all in one shot along with other new FAQ's, so he can post an "FAQ update" article on AnandTech, similar to past ones: August 25 2002 FAQ Update, for example. I have a goal of cranking out at least one FAQ per day until I get them done, although for a while I was going backwards as we added more projects to the list. ;)

jliechty, I think your FAQ would be a nice addition to www.teamanandtech.com, and if I can corner ViRGE I'll see if I can get that to happen. I linked to your FAQ in mine as a follow-on for setup of the console client, so putting your FAQ on the teamanandtech.com site would be a good idea IMHO.

AndyHui

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member<br>AT FAQ M
Oct 9, 1999
jliechty: sorry about not getting back to you.

As mechBgon says, I'm waiting to post them in one go and then put up a main front page article about it. The idea is to draw more general reader interest where they can pick and choose from any of the DC projects that they take a fancy to when I do the main article.

It's been a long time since a main AT DC article, and I plan to fix that.
We should convince AndyHui to get MechBgon's FAQ published in the DC section at the AnandTech FAQs
No need to do any convincing. It was me who asked him to do the updates in the first place. :)

mechBgon

Oct 31, 1999
Originally posted by: AndyHui
jliechty: sorry about not getting back to you.

As mechBgon says, I'm waiting to post them in one go and then put up a main front page article about it. The idea is to draw more general reader interest where they can pick and choose from any of the DC projects that they take a fancy to when I do the main article.

It's been a long time since a main AT DC article, and I plan to fix that.

:cool: You da man! :cool:

m0ti

Jul 6, 2001
I'll update the DF FAQ over the weekend, and include a utility I wrote for DF to make it more comfortable to run.

mechBgon

Oct 31, 1999
Originally posted by: mastertech01
I like the updated version for Find A Drug.. very nice job! :)
Thanks! I'm gonna call that one final, then. :)

Originally posted by: Confused
I Let me know when an FAQ is finished, and I'll put it up as a sticky in the project's forum on my Team Anandtech Forum
Consider S@H, Find-A-Drug and 17-or-Bust ready for action (or tell me if they aren't, and what needs work ;)).

ProviaFan

Lifer
Mar 17, 2001
Folding@Home uses up to 50MB of RAM - the task manager is incorrect when it shows the RAM usage of Folding@Home. Just try this experiment: close the F@H client, open the task manager, and then watch your RAM usage when you load the F@H client again (wait until it says the core has loaded and it is crunching a WU - the RAM usage will ramp up until that point, at which it then stabilizes).

BitSpit

Oct 25, 2001
I've uploaded the first part of why I'm calling the Team Anandtech Find-a-Drug Manual since it has more info than mechBgon's FAQ. The part is just general info and has a lot of the FAQ plus some additional info like how the client works. Anyway, I've uploaded it as a PDF to http://splicedcollective.org/tafadmanual.pdf It still needs some editting and revisions though (haven't added all the links).

mechBgon

Oct 31, 1999
Originally posted by: jliechty
Folding@Home uses up to 50MB of RAM - the task manager is incorrect when it shows the RAM usage of Folding@Home. Just try this experiment: close the F@H client, open the task manager, and then watch your RAM usage when you load the F@H client again (wait until it says the core has loaded and it is crunching a WU - the RAM usage will ramp up until that point, at which it then stabilizes).

:Q

Thanks for the word, I'll edit that!

edit: that was strange, I will have to use that "reality check" on the other clients too. :eek:

edit 2: all clients reviewed so far have been subjected to the "reality check" and the FAQ's updated with corrected info. Thanks for the good eye jliechty! :D Keep it up!

mechBgon

Oct 31, 1999
Originally posted by: BitSpit
I've uploaded the first part of why I'm calling the Team Anandtech Find-a-Drug Manual since it has more info than mechBgon's FAQ. The part is just general info and has a lot of the FAQ plus some additional info like how the client works. Anyway, I've uploaded it as a PDF to http://splicedcollective.org/tafadmanual.pdf It still needs some editting and revisions though (haven't added all the links).

That would be a great item to have on www.teamanandtech.com! :D LMK when you've got it to the point where you'd want it put up, and I'll try to get someone to do that.

ProviaFan

Lifer
Mar 17, 2001
My Folding@Home CLI tutorial has been updated with a few minor fixes and improvements. Before adding any of this stuff to TeamAnandTech, I'd like to have it proofread by some more F@H people, so please don't jump on this too quickly. ;)

A detailed GUI tutorial will be available later tonight, and the service guide shall be forthcoming tomorrow afternoon if I can find time (that seems to be a big problem with me :eek:).

mechBgon

Oct 31, 1999
Sure thing jliechty, I haven't made any headway on getting stuff put up (or updated) at teamanandtech.com yet. Part of the problem is that I'm a mad l33t HTML idi0t. I'm told I need to boil down your guides to basic HTML without headers and stuff in order for it to go on teamanandtech.com, and I'm busy enough researching the projects and writing the FAQ's, without trying to teach myself HTML as I go. ;)

So maybe the first phase will simply be to fill out as many of my overview-level FAQ's as possible, linking to the more in-depth ones like yours at its present location, and then pursue a "Phase 2" where we duplicate your FAQ at teamanandtech.com and re-direct the AnandTech FAQ's to that location later. I know HTML is simple once you know how, but I don't "know how" yet, so it's going to take time.

ColinP, thanks for the feedback on the UD Cancer project! :D

ProviaFan

Lifer
Mar 17, 2001
Originally posted by: mechBgon
Sure thing jliechty, I haven't made any headway on getting stuff put up (or updated) at teamanandtech.com yet. Part of the problem is that I'm a mad l33t HTML idi0t. I'm told I need to boil down your guides to basic HTML without headers and stuff in order for it to go on teamanandtech.com, and I'm busy enough researching the projects and writing the FAQ's, without trying to teach myself HTML as I go. ;)
No problem. The headers and footers and menus are easy to remove, since it's all plainly written XHTML formatted with an external CSS file. I will make separate versions that don't have any extra formatting once they are all done, so you won't have to worry about it. :)