Team Fortress2 Update coming next Tuesday

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
Originally posted by: Red Storm
Meet The Sandvich!

Interesting, although this sure as hell better not be the "Meet The..." video we were promised.

(Meet the spy, Meet the spy, Meet the spy...)

Ok... that is the best damn special item released thus far. I always have 4 seconds as heavy, but can never find a medic when I'm hiding for a minute while waiting for one.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
I saw the Sandvich in action finally, it's hilarious :)

Until it disconnects me (not a crash, just a disconnect, and back to the main menu or server browser)...

I'm not sure why but I've had "Unable to connect to VAC servers" disconnects four times under about 20 minutes today, so I've stopped playing and I'll wait a bit, maybe there's something wrong or I need to delete the ClientRegistry.blob file again for the millionth time this month. Anyone else got that exact same problem today after the latest update?

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
Originally posted by: Zenoth

Until it disconnects me (not a crash, just a disconnect, and back to the main menu or server browser)...

I'm not sure why but I've had "Unable to connect to VAC servers" disconnects four times under about 20 minutes today, so I've stopped playing and I'll wait a bit, maybe there's something wrong or I need to delete the ClientRegistry.blob file again for the millionth time this month. Anyone else got that exact same problem today after the latest update?

Do you have PeerGuardian or anything like that running in the background?

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Originally posted by: Balt

Nope, not even any anti-virus, I've got 13 processes running only including RivaTuner and that's about it.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Originally posted by: clamum
Damnit, just got a crash to desktop from the game.

Glad to see I'm not the only one with problems out there after that update.

Dammit Valve... I want to eat some Sandvich.

Born2bwire

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2005

Nope, not even any anti-virus, I've got 13 processes running only including RivaTuner and that's about it.

For a while the Nvidia firewall application caused me problems with TF2 but that went away recently.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Huh? A firewall from NVIDIA? I must have missed something here, what, when and where?

Born2bwire

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2005
Huh? A firewall from NVIDIA? I must have missed something here, what, when and where?

... Part of the software suite that comes with Nvidia chipset motherboards.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Originally posted by: Born2bwire

... Part of the software suite that comes with Nvidia chipset motherboards.

Ah, ok, well my MB has an Intel chipset.

potato28

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
Got the sandvich, now I'm pushing onwards for Natasha even though Sasha is better. Some of these achievements are hard to get in 5 minutes, completely different than the Pyro achievements.

Scouzer

Lifer
Jun 3, 2001
Originally posted by: HeroOfPellinor
Playing with the latest update is crashing my client fairly regularly, unfortunately.

I'm just guessing on something I saw, but I think there was a glitch where you could attempt to play while the game was updating. Check your Steam games tab and see if its done yet and then try again.

I'm getting a lot of crashes as well. It's definitely 100% updated...

tomt4535

Golden Member
Jan 4, 2004
There were way too many fatties around last night. I couldnt enjoy playing at all. Hopefully it will clear up in a week or so

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Originally posted by: tomt4535
There were way too many fatties around last night. I couldnt enjoy playing at all. Hopefully it will clear up in a week or so
I know. Before I got the crash I was playing and both teams were about 75% fatty. Fuck that crap. Didn't bother restarting the game after it crashed.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I know. Before I got the crash I was playing and both teams were about 75% fatty. Fuck that crap. Didn't bother restarting the game after it crashed.

I didn't have that problem, but I was playing on servers that limited the number of heavies (3 per team maximum).

I did find that I disliked the Steel map though.

KT

potato28

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
Originally posted by: KeithTalent

I didn't have that problem, but I was playing on servers that limited the number of heavies (3 per team maximum).

I did find that I disliked the Steel map though.

KT

I don't tend to play maps that everyone else seems to hate, so I will stay away from steel. Another thing is I'm going after the last few medic achievements that I needed for the Ubersaw because there's so many Heavies.

CrackRabbit

Lifer
Mar 30, 2001
Originally posted by: ShOcKwAvE827
OM NOM NOM NOM

/Headshots ShOcKwAvE827

"Thanks for stand'n still wanker!"

That is how I spent most of my TF2 playtime yesterday, awesome fun.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
I had an absolute blast playing spy last night on Badwater Basin; racked up 207 points (!) in a few rounds of play. Poor heavies never saw it coming... :evil:

The final score on the server that night was Red: 16, Blue: 16. I like a map that ends up with even scores (something I have yet to see with Steel).

darom

Dec 3, 2002
Had a blast yesterday playing a pyro against the team full of heavies. Running circles around and toasting them. My head is still buzzing from the sound of heavies' machine guns. No problem with the client, downloaded the update at 7 p.m.

Dec 27, 2001
Originally posted by: Red Storm
I had an absolute blast playing spy last night on Badwater Basin; racked up 207 points (!) in a few rounds of play. Poor heavies never saw it coming... :evil:

The final score on the server that night was Red: 16, Blue: 16. I like a map that ends up with even scores (something I have yet to see with Steel).

Had the opposite experience. Spy was unexpectedly extremely difficult. With so many heavies, at least a small percentage knew the fun spies were expecting and were spy checking frequently. Not to mention that many of the better players were going for achievements and knew to check their backs often. I'd be cloaked coming up on a pack of 5 or 6 heavies and most were facing outward like a herd of water buffalo.

It was rough. I play on a popular server full of regs though.

I did do well with sniper. Spies were busy and there were a lot of heavies around watching my back.

Smilin

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2002
I played some extra medic last night. The 25% charge bonus on the Kritz makes it much more appealing now. People are slowly learning how to recieve a Kritz now too...still a lot of retards saying "go" then charging in front of a sentry gun like they are about to go invuln. too funny.

I'm going to wait until the crowd dies down before I start playing heavy to get my own achievments I think.

mundane

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2002
Did okay as a pyro last night, although most of the heavies managed to pair up with a medic, making them difficult targets. Most effective strategy was to let the attacking groups slip by then drop behind them with the backburner.
Lots of opportunities for Medics, too - earning a lot of achievements, and due to the team composition they're in high demand.

andylawcc

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
Originally posted by: potato28
Got the sandvich, now I'm pushing onwards for Natasha even though Sasha is better. Some of these achievements are hard to get in 5 minutes, completely different than the Pyro achievements.

Natasha + Pyro = fleeing & died tried