teaching people "how to download music"

Rakkis

Apr 24, 2000
so i have this small consulting thing teaching this retired guy how to use his computer. basic stuff + office, etc.

he also mentioned teaching him how to download music. is it legal for me to teach him how to use something like kazaa/allofmp3? or should i jsut stick to buymusic.com/itunes?

as long as i explain the legalities of it and only teach him how to use the program and not actually d/l anything for him, i'm ok, yes?

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
Not sure on the legality of this per se, but I would probably mention both methods and point out the possible legal issues, and then let him make his own decision.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Show him Kazaa, then blackmail him for half his retirement pay every month.

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
It's not against the law to educate someone. It is against the law, however, to violate copyright laws. Jesus... stupid RIAA and MPAA got everybody thinking that if they even THINK about it, they'll be sent to a federal pound-me-in-the-ass prison for the rest of their life.
rolleye.gif

Ness

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2002
Just explain the legalities of it and tell him you'll show him how to use iTunes, but advise him that each song costs money.

PanzerIV

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2002
You're not actually downloading the music so I don't see where you would be held repsonsible. As others have said explain to him about the RIAA and such and the consequences of downloading copyrighted materials.

Farfrael

Mar 6, 2002
Originally posted by: FFMCobalt
It's not against the law to educate someone. It is against the law, however, to violate copyright laws. Jesus... stupid RIAA and MPAA got everybody thinking that if they even THINK about it, they'll be sent to a federal pound-me-in-the-ass prison for the rest of their life.
rolleye.gif

GreenGhost

Golden Member
Oct 11, 1999
The use of any p2p or file sharing program is legal, as long as you do not share copyrighted material without proper authorization. Sometimes there are some ridiculous situations. If speeding is against the law, how come radar detectors are legal, as they show intent of breaking the law without getting caught? There's also the so-called "fair use" that was defined by some US law some 30 years ago, that lets you photocopy pages of a book in the library, copies for personal use (cassettes!), etc. That's interesting, because one (the downloader) could 'argue' getting a song would be okay. Of course, the one who shares could not claim that, because the person is in fact facilitating illegal distribution. Now could the one who downloads get in trouble, similar to buying stolen goods? Unauthorized copy is not the same as stealing, since the owner still has the original, but there's definitely a loss.

jagr10

Golden Member
Jan 21, 2001
Originally posted by: rudder
Show him Kazaa, then blackmail him for half his retirement pay every month.

lol. Or download stuff from his computer without him knowing and burn it. Then if someone gets caught it's him! He'll claim he didn't do it and he doesn't understand computers blah blah, but the feds will say "ya, sure grampa, we've heard it all".