Teacher fired for being pregnant out of wedlock (yes in 2018).

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
A very good reason not to work at a Religious school that expects and demands that employees follow their religious rules, irregardless if said employee actually believes in the Religion.
Don't forget the hospitals they run as well.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
A little off subject, but I was talking to people about the changing times just a few days ago.
I mean, look at all of the single mothers and single mother families where the kids have different fathers.
And lord help anyone that wishes to do their family tree. ;)

In todays world, families with single mothers are fairly common.
Families where the kids have different fathers are fairly common.
Families where a live-in boyfriend is acting father, that too is fairly common.

What struct me is.... if this were the 1930's, 40's, 50's or the 60's, the single mother would be considered an outcast.
And the children, well... we all remember what a child born out of wedlock was considered and referred as back then.

If this were back in those days, the mothers and their kids would have no option but to move away, to leave town, or else be demonized by the towns people and isolated by both family and friends.
They couldn't walk the street without getting nasty "looks", and hearing "nasty comments" tossed their way. And those children would have been treated like trash in school and in public.
And the church? The church would never welcome such people.

Times have changed. A LOT.
Single mothers are very much the norm these days.
And it would be interesting to study this phenomenon. Determine exactly how and why the definition of family has changed so.
Was it the men?
Men lacking the commitment to marry and to raise his kids?
Was it the women?
Women having had enough of flawed spineless men, and simply deciding to go it alone?
What the hell happened?

Finding a family where the couple are married, first time married, and their children born into that marriage of the same parents, that is hard to come by.
In nearly every family of today, at least one of the parents were married before to someone else, and the brothers and sisters in that family having had different fathers or mothers.
Add into the mix the possibly of at least one child in the family the result of an affair outside of the marriage by a parent.

My point...
This would never fly back in the old days.
Back in the early to middle 1900's.
Single mothers were scorned and outcast, as were the children.
To such an extent that most simply had to move away. To leave town.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
A little off subject, but I was talking to people about the changing times just a few days ago.
I mean, look at all of the single mothers and single mother families where the kids have different fathers.
And lord help anyone that wishes to do their family tree. ;)

In todays world, families with single mothers are fairly common.
Families where the kids have different fathers are fairly common.
Families where a live-in boyfriend is acting father, that too is fairly common.

What struct me is.... if this were the 1930's, 40's, 50's or the 60's, the single mother would be considered an outcast.
And the children, well... we all remember what a child born out of wedlock was considered and referred as back then.

If this were back in those days, the mothers and their kids would have no option but to move away, to leave town, or else be demonized by the towns people and isolated by both family and friends.
They couldn't walk the street without getting nasty "looks", and hearing "nasty comments" tossed their way. And those children would have been treated like trash in school and in public.
And the church? The church would never welcome such people.

Times have changed. A LOT.
Single mothers are very much the norm these days.
And it would be interesting to study this phenomenon. Determine exactly how and why the definition of family has changed so.
Was it the men?
Men lacking the commitment to marry and to raise his kids?
Was it the women?
Women having had enough of flawed spineless men, and simply deciding to go it alone?
What the hell happened?

Finding a family where the couple are married, first time married, and their children born into that marriage of the same parents, that is hard to come by.
In nearly every family of today, at least one of the parents were married before to someone else, and the brothers and sisters in that family having had different fathers or mothers.
Add into the mix the possibly of at least one child in the family the result of an affair outside of the marriage by a parent.

My point...
This would never fly back in the old days.
Back in the early to middle 1900's.
Single mothers were scorned and outcast, as were the children.
To such an extent that most simply had to move away. To leave town.
For one, Churches started to lose their influence as the population became less religious in many countries. An other is that birth control became more widespread freeing up women for higher education and careers.

Dec 10, 2005
Don't let Organized Religions run hospitals?
It used to be that they could only discriminate for ministerial positions, but larger and larger exemptions are being carved out to allow these organizations to discriminate more broadly. Frankly, it's pretty ridiculous that these exemptions have been expanded so much that they can get away with it.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
It used to be that they could only discriminate for ministerial positions, but larger and larger exemptions are being carved out to allow these organizations to discriminate more broadly. Frankly, it's pretty ridiculous that these exemptions have been expanded so much that they can get away with it.
Given the recent scandals and the immoral history of the RRC, I'm surprised that a good portion of Catholics simply just didn't leave of out moral outrage.