Teacher Claims Fingerprinting Is ‘Mark of the Beast’

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Just when you thought you've seen every permutation of ignorance in this country, along comes an individual such as Pam McLaurin here, to lower the bar and demonstrate there is no end in sight to idiotic behavior.

Here's a little pro tip, Pam: STFU and put your finger on the scanner so we can tell if you've ever touched little kids inappropriately and perhaps afterwards, everyone can get on with their lives.

>.<

Teacher Claims Fingerprinting Is ‘Mark of the Beast’
By David Kravets November 5, 2009 | 6:28 pm | Categories: Identification, Surveillance, politics

A 22-year veteran kindergarten teacher in the Texas Bible Belt could lose her job for refusing, on religious grounds, to give fingerprints under a state law requiring them.

The evangelical Christian, Pam McLaurin, is fighting a looming suspension, claiming that fingerprinting amounts to the “Mark of the Beast,” and hence is a violation of her First Amendment right to practice her religion. Her case is similar to a lawsuit by a group of Michigan farmers, some of them Amish, challenging rules requiring the tagging of livestock with RFID chips, saying the devices are also the devil’s mark.

The latest case is the first in which a teacher is refusing fingerprinting on religious grounds, the woman’s lawyer said. The U.S. Supreme Court has yet to decide whether the First Amendment is implicated in fingerprinting, especially at a time when states, local governments and civic organizations are increasingly making them mandatory for anyone wanting to drive a car or coach a youth basketball team.

McLaurin’s lawsuit against the Texas Education Agency cites various passages of Revelation, the final book of The Bible:

He causes all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right hand and on their foreheads, and that no one may buy or sell except one who has the mark or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.… Then a third angel followed them saying with a loud voice — if anyone worships the beast and his image and receives his mark on his forehead or on his hand he himself shall also drink of the wine of the wrath of God.… He shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels and in the presence of the Lamb.

Her attorney, Scott Skelton, said his client believes that the computerized fingerprinting, in which her fingerprints will be stored in a database, is the mark addressed in Revelation. The teacher does not believe that it is merely coincidence that Revelation says only those with the ‘mark on his forehead or on his hand’ will be able to buy or sell, since only those teachers who comply with fingerprinting requirements will keep their jobs, he said.

“This law prohibits the free exercise of her religion,” Skelton said in a telephone interview.

The Big Sandy Independent School District, where the woman teaches, is located about 100 miles northeast of Houston. Wayne Haglund, the school district’s lawyer, described McLaurin is a “valued member of the faculty and one of the best teachers we have.”

“The school district’s position is fully supportive of Mrs. McLaurin,” Haglund continued in a telephone interview. “We’re caught in the crossfire. We believe her religious beliefs are sincerely held.”

Haglund said the Texas Education Agency informed him it would deactivate her teacher certification if she does not comply. She has until Nov. 7, Skelton said.

Texas lawmakers approved the fingerprinting measure in 2007 in a bid, Skelton said, “to catch somebody with a criminal background or a history of preying on children.”

“She’s willing to undergo a background check,” Skelton said, “just not fingerprinting.”

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2009/11/mark-of-the-beast/

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Fingerprints have been in use for so long, I’m really shocked she could escape them until now. I support the right of a school district to screen its employees and to fire them if they do not comply.

Anyways, call me when this little old lady goes on a shooting rampage. Until then I think she is fairly harmless if not news unworthy. Unless you mean to say it's safe to bash this religion.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
I think it's safe to bash her for her behavior, if you want to bring religion into it, then by all means go for it Jaskalas.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Guess she won't be getting a passport anytime soon. Something tells me however that she doesn't get around much.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
So if she got arrested for something and had to be fingerprinted at booking, same religious objection?

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
I think it's safe to bash her for her behavior, if you want to bring religion into it, then by all means go for it Jaskalas.

Oh do remind me again, why is she not submitting her fingerprint?

Yes I believe there's innuendo behind elevating the importance of this story.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Because she's an ignorant fsck? Could that possibly be why, Jaskalas? I dunno though, you seem to know what's going on here. You tell me.

Painman

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2000
She's a public farking schoolteacher?

This incident ought not really scare you. what really ought to scare you, is whatever the fuck she's managed to "teach" your kids under the auspices of public trust.

It's getting late in the game, but should I ever sire children, I'll keep them here in MA, TYVFM.

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
I'm about as anti-religion as anyone, but I feel a lot of sympathy for this woman.

It's not like she's trying for force her religion on anyone else. It's not like her "refusal" is directly hurting anyone (as, for example, would be the case if a Christian Scientist refused to take her extremely sick child to a doctor).

I think this is a case where some sort of accommodation should be tried. For example, is there some form of reliable identification that could be used that wouldn't violate this woman's beliefs? Maybe there isn't, but before firing a woman who by all accounts is a fine teacher and a decent person, both sides should try to work something out.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
What part of "Receive" does she not understand?

She's only being required to "Give".

actuarial

Platinum Member
Jan 22, 2009
I think this is a case where some sort of accommodation should be tried. For example, is there some form of reliable identification that could be used that wouldn't violate this woman's beliefs? Maybe there isn't, but before firing a woman who by all accounts is a fine teacher and a decent person, both sides should try to work something out.

I believe if I do not smoke a joint every day that I will go to hell. Why won't people accommodate me?

CycloWizard

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
While I don't care for her "logic," I do believe that she is right to oppose fingerprinting. Preemptive fingerprinting schemes are an invasion of privacy, period. It's a government fishing expedition based on the premise of "Nothing to hide, nothing to fear."

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Geez unless you have something to hide you should have no problem with this!

(wait. that doesnt sound right)

edit: CycloWizard beat me to it.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
While I don't care for her "logic," I do believe that she is right to oppose fingerprinting. Preemptive fingerprinting schemes are an invasion of privacy, period. It's a government fishing expedition based on the premise of "Nothing to hide, nothing to fear."
Well given the amount of child abuse that happens by those in charge of our children at school and kids camps I think it's a great idea.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
She's a public farking schoolteacher?

This incident ought not really scare you. what really ought to scare you, is whatever the fuck she's managed to "teach" your kids under the auspices of public trust.

It's getting late in the game, but should I ever sire children, I'll keep them here in MA, TYVFM.

/roll eyes

Fucking bigot.