Tea Party - American Taliban

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
Eh. it's fictional show. And if you like stylized dialogue very well written.

Aaron Sorkin is a known quantity so you know how his shows will go in regards to politics.

The thing about DINOs is that they are usually fiscal conservatives who will trip over themselves to please corporations. It's rather rare when you see a democratic politician call republicans "un-American" or use similar language as was actually used by Alan West in that clip, compared to how often a republican politician does it.

It'd be hard to do a totally equivalent hit piece. The only person who really has been vocal in the way of Herman Cain, Mitch McConnel or Alan west on the democratic side that comes to mind is Alan Grayson. A similar hit piece on democrats would just consist entirely of footage of him probably.

You could, however, make the case for them being bought sellouts though. That's probably the case with most politicians however.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
The problem with the tea party is they are not organized as a true political party. The tea party came about for tax reform purposes but nothing stopped all the other groups from claiming they represent the tea party. So comparing the tea party to the taliban is funny along with claiming all members are racists.. but really... we should focus more on teh issue at hand.. i.e., another year of trillion dollar deficits (ooops sorry for the racist comment).

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Lol what happened to all those tea bagger rallies after the 2010 elections? Obama is spending more money than ever according to the 'pubies.

Todd33

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2003
The problem with the tea party is they are not organized as a true political party. The tea party came about for tax reform purposes but nothing stopped all the other groups from claiming they represent the tea party. So comparing the tea party to the taliban is funny along with claiming all members are racists.. but really... we should focus more on teh issue at hand.. i.e., another year of trillion dollar deficits (ooops sorry for the racist comment).

What nonsense. They were a knee-jerk reaction to a black president. No Tea Party for the Bush years and all the spending, but the black guy wins and suddenly a sea of white people, some with racial signs, floods the streets. The birthers are part of their crew too, as are the minutemen. All part of the shrinking white plurality and the fear of their shrinking power.

Apr 27, 2012
What nonsense. They were a knee-jerk reaction to a black president. No Tea Party for the Bush years and all the spending, but the black guy wins and suddenly a sea of white people, some with racial signs, floods the streets. The birthers are part of their crew too, as are the minutemen. All part of the shrinking white plurality and the fear of their shrinking power.

So just because they oppose obama there racist? Typical leftist, there not allowed to oppose obama because he is a horrible man intent on destroying the US and the Wes?

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
So just because they oppose obama there racist? Typical leftist, there not allowed to oppose obama because he is a horrible man intent on destroying the US and the Wes?

bestofbothworldstwo613.jpg

"Don't phase me, bro!"​

Smoblikat

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2011
Well, they can only count fraud they catch so we dont really know how much fraud there is. I went down to my local town hall and got a state ID, cost me 10$/ If you cant afford 10$ you probobly cant afford to go and vote (transportation, food, water, shoes.)

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
What nonsense. They were a knee-jerk reaction to a black president.

No, it wasn't, but hey don't let reality get in the way of your "if your political views are different than mine you're a racist" bullshit. As a matter of fact, please continue to spout your nonsense loud and proud so that people can identify you as the fool that you are.

JKing106

Platinum Member
Mar 19, 2009
No, it wasn't, but hey don't let reality get in the way of your "if your political views are different than mine you're a racist" bullshit. As a matter of fact, please continue to spout your nonsense loud and proud so that people can identify you as the fool that you are.

When the baby boomers are all dead, this country will be a much better place.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
This is such a terrific series. I especially loved their proposed debate format. I would literally pay money to see Obama and Romney on a stage with an aggressive and well-informed moderator. No bullshit. No evasions. No ignoring the question and spouting canned talking points. A real debate where the moderator stops the BS and makes them talk to America honestly.

Of course that's the last thing either party wants, so it will never happen. It would be amazing, however.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
So just because they oppose obama there racist?

It's because they carried signs like this

teapartysign1sm1.jpg

slide_1398_20093_free.jpg

teaparty_robertson_spelling_racist_problem.jpg

And fellow Teabaggers didn't bother to call them out on it.

Typical leftist, there not allowed to oppose obama because he is a horrible man intent on destroying the US and the Wes?

The Wes? You mean that under appreciated actor who was the best part of this awesome masterpiece?

images

This last these last ones are just for fun because they didn't know teabagging was an obscure reference to something less than savory

teabagging-jesus-democracy.jpg

sodomy-teabagging.jpg

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
It's because they carried signs like this

teapartysign1sm1.jpg

slide_1398_20093_free.jpg

teaparty_robertson_spelling_racist_problem.jpg

And fellow Teabaggers didn't bother to call them out on it.

Yea, amazing, out of tens of thousands of people and their signs you found a whooping three, I think I've seen about four more too, so have we reached a thousandth of a percent of them yet?

And FYI, I believe the guy in the last picture was not only called out, but removed from his position as leader of his local bagger unit.

Last edited:

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
Yea, amazing, out of tens of thousands of people and their signs you found a whooping three, I think I've seen about four more too, so have we reached a thousandth of a percent of them yet?

Did I say all of them were racist? No but tolerating signs like that isn't a very good indication of the movement either. It's not as if those 3 were the only questionable signs either...

If I went to any event that had Herman Cain or Representative Alan West depicted in the ways some of the their signs depicted President Obama I'd leave.

Those signs reflect poorly on those who saw them and didn't leave as well as those who were carrying them.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
Did I say all of them were racist? No but tolerating signs like that isn't a very good indication of the movement either. It's not as if those 3 were the only questionable signs either...

If I went to any event that had Herman Cain or Representative Alan West depicted in the ways some of the their signs depicted President Obama I'd leave.

Those signs reflect poorly on those who saw them and didn't leave as well as those who were carrying them.

I think my point went way over your head. My point was that there wasn't even a statistical errors worth of racist, or racist signs among the baggers. The whole "OMG they're racist!!!" and continuing to base those unjustified claims on the same handful of signs, and people, and paint the tens of thousands with that same brush is disingenuous.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2012

How do these people represent the entire Tea Party?

Something tells me you would have no problem with herman cain or alan west being depicted the same way as obama because they are republicans and according to democrats deserve it

MrColin

Platinum Member
May 21, 2003
Early on the Tea Partiers had some solid justifiable positions about tax reform and small government, then the idiots started piling on with their racist rants and general hate for all things left. Same thing happened to OWS, which was supposed to be about corporate accountability and economic justice. Pretty quickly the gay and womens' rights groups glommed on and ended up diluting and destroying the message.

Meanwhile, in each case the power elite (Democrats and Republicans) are able to claim the high ground and perpetuate the unjust status quo while dehumanizing and demoralizing any emerging threats to their grip on power.

Take home lesson: Any popular movement seeking to change unjust policy or circumstances will not gain sufficient inertia if they allow themselves to be co-opted by the fringe. The fringe will try hard to identify with any movement as it gains traction because they can't construct one of their own.