TCL 55s403 Costco TV

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
So, my old tv cheap 46" TV, 4 years old Fluorescent tube... Was starting to really act up...

I did some searches on the net and found that it could be the Power Supply or the Panel itself, it it was the panel, than might as well toss it (from what others say)... And a new power board was around 100 bucks.

So... Decided investing time and energy on the old TV didn't seem like it was worth it. Plus getting a newer one (4K) for 400 bucks and a lot bigger seemed worth it...

But... I setup the TCL, I know it's a low end set (budget) set, get what you pay for type thing, but, my TV, is not only to watch movies, mostly stream from amazon, netflix, and youtube (red). But, I play games and surf the net on this as well.

I should note that my 46" tv was a no brand name made in china Seiki Set (got it at sears for about the same price of 400 bucks)

I was thinking bigger, and more resolution would make the text look better, but it's actually WORSE. Hmmm, I do fair amount of surfing the net probably 40%, watching movies, content, probably 40%, and gaming 20%.

I have to say movies look really good... I just wish the text looked good. Maybe there is something I can do to improve it, but maybe I bought the wrong TV? I'm thinking, OLED tech might be the way to go, granted it's 2-3X more for a sony/LG set. But, I'm willing to pay for it to get better looking text, but, how much better is the text going to be on that set vs, what I got now?

Also, I sit about 11 feet from this TV. Maybe I got too big of a set? Maybe 49" would be better? Don't know really. I've mucked around with contrast / brightness / sharpness settings and ... doesn't seem to improve text.

I haven't done any updates, don't know if connecting to wireless and updating the TV would help much, but, I am going to try that next. Any help and or feedback would be welcome. Good thing about costco I have a 90 day return policy (no questions asked). Still got 2.5 months to go, to figure out what if anything I should do. I'm kind of confused that the Video can be so crisp, yet, text on chrome or Firefox looks so fuzzy. Hmmm....Costco does have a samsung set or LG set for about 150 more but, it's not OLED. I assumed that most of these panels all came out of the same factory and 4K was pretty much all generic and not much difference between them... ?

If I used it for VIDEO / Movies only, I'd give this TV a HIGH rating and say it's great.

Malogeek

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2017
yaktribe.org
Watching a video has no bearing on how very thin static text is going to look on a TV. Especially a TV that's only designed to display motion video. Actually being able to use a UI on a TV from 11ft away requires a fairly decent panel. You can see if your TV has a "PC mode", that may help. Not sure if you've increase the scaling of the text output, I'd recommend trying out 150% and see if that's better. Also make sure you're outputting at least 60hz, it will look like crap in windows if you're in 24hz.

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Thanks for all the replies, but at this point, unless you have had a 400 dollar TV that you wanting to use as a "monitor" ... And you took it back and bought a 1K dollar TV and it helped plenty........ Than, I guess my post it pointless...

Yes, as you know know I came from a 47" TV Same deal 11' away, so I am already using custom 200 DPI. It's the biggest font you can get without using the zoom button.

A few reasons might be...

The older TV was smaller, 10" or so smaller, so, the text seemed a bit more clear...

Also, the older TV used tube lamp for backlighting. I think the Tube Lamps are just more relaxing on the eyes. Where the LED lights are more direct. Even tho, I have it cranked down to the lowest setting on this tv, it still seems too bright. Maybe I can put an external light source behind the TV at night. But even in the daytime with cranked down low, I think it's bright enough.

I may just live with this tv, as in the future I might be moving into a bigger house allowing for a real computer monitor and this TV meant for streaming media 80% of the time. Funny, the more I use it, the more my eyes seem to be adapting to it. Either that or the LED's are burning in and the TV is adapting to it's environment. hahah

XavierMace

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2013
Did you bother Googling 4:4:4 Chroma like I suggested or look at the rtings site? I guarantee you the TCL is not 4:4:4 and therefore text is going to look like poo. That's not guess work, that's a well documented fact.

In the sub $1k price range, there's a fairly limited number of TV's that are 4k60p @ 4:4:4. Also be aware there's a video card requirement to get 4k60p @ 4:4:4. You may be able to get 4:4:4 out of your current TV if you lower your refresh rate to 30hz but that's going to suck for gaming.

Yes, I use a TV as my monitor and have been doing so for many years. I've currently got one hooked up to a 55" Panny Plasma and the other hooked up to a 70" Vizio.

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Did you bother Googling 4:4:4 Chroma like I suggested or look at the rtings site? .

Yeah, I did, that's why I listed the Q-led, OLed TV's in my original post. But, I'm not looking to drop 3-4K on a tv errr Monitor.

Most of these sites that I read about keep referring back to

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...4k-uhd-tv-4-4-4-60hz-capable-master-list.html

While AVSforum is probably the top rated place to ask these type of questions.... They haven't updated list in a few years.... And half the people on there question the lists legitness. Too confusing for me, as 90% of all TV makers don't even list the specs of 444... And even if they did, half of them are could be just squeezing their specs.

I think 90% of the public are buying TV's for just that, Movies and watching the the latest garbage on mainstream media. So, it's no wonder TV manufactures don't give a rip about 444 and refresh rates and 90% of them are cutting corners to get "4K" out the door at the cheapest price.

Then you got these threads like these.....

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1308591

I'm using my tv for pretty much everything, including surfing the web and typing out this message. It's too confusing for me. I doubt I'd gain that much from it personally. One day as technology improves they will all be cheap and made at 120Htz 8K 4444 or 8888 depending on how you want to read it! ;)

Thanks for the reply.

XavierMace

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2013
The Vizio P series (2016) and Samsung KS8000 are both at the $1k mark and do 4K60p 4:4:4.

rtings tests 4:4:4 on every single one of their reviews which is why I specifically recommended you check there. It's not that confusing, you just don't seem to want to admit the TV you bought doesn't make a good monitor.
The Vizio P series and

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Hmm, I wouldn't be posting this... If I thought my TV made a good monitor. I know it doesn't, Seemed my 1080P made a better monitor. But, could be that it was smaller as well. It does however make a pretty nice TV, One reason why I sit 11-12' back from the TV is that, I don't like to wear reading glasses. That brings up another point, that a lot of people are stating... Sitting so far back from these TV's makes no difference on 444 chroma, most people can't tell the difference when they switch between the settings.

Yes, I know you can get a 1000.00 TV, but I would rather buy the that tv in Costco, as in hawaii, on the Big island. About the only place that sells them here besides costco, is target and walmart. Yeah, I suppose I could get one shipped from amazon... Tho, be lucky if it wasn't dead out of the box. for a 55-60" tv. I have unique problems that don't really exist on the Mainland (continental USA) .... Tho......... I suppose if I could find a TV that my local costco stocks, (hey seem to stock at least 50 different types) and was less than a grand......... I could swap it out. Maybe I'll ask the COSTCO people next time I am there, I do have 90 days to swap it out. We'll see. Other then that, I could just get a 40" monitor TV for my PC and be done with it. I'm still thinking about it.

XavierMace

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2013
I don't get what you're looking for then. You initially said you'd pay 2-3x for clear text. You said you paid $400 for the TCL. Therefore both the Vizio and several Samsung fit in that price range. Costco carries two different Samsung's that are $1k or less and will do 4k 60hz 4:4:4. Walmart carries the Vizio's and the Samsung's.

Most the people saying they can't see the difference aren't using them as PC monitors. Some are also saying that because they don't want to admit they see a difference.

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Yeah, have you checked out walmarts or targets return policy? Reason why I went to costco, Costco is no questions asked 90 days. The others? Not so much. I'm not sure if my eyes are just getting use to this tv, or what, but.. it seems like I can read text just fine on it. It's not dreadful, maybe funking around with lightness and "sharpness" controls helped a bit. Anyway, thanks for the reply. I'll see if they carry or if the costco tv guys even know what chroma 444 is. I got a list I can run by them to see if they have what I want in stock.

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
Yeah, have you checked out walmarts or targets return policy? Reason why I went to costco, Costco is no questions asked 90 days. The others? Not so much. I'm not sure if my eyes are just getting use to this tv, or what, but.. it seems like I can read text just fine on it. It's not dreadful, maybe funking around with lightness and "sharpness" controls helped a bit. Anyway, thanks for the reply. I'll see if they carry or if the costco tv guys even know what chroma 444 is. I got a list I can run by them to see if they have what I want in stock.

XavierMace has done a little of the research for you. All you have to do is follow through. Never rely on a big box store to be knowledgeable on electronics. Read up on 4:4:4 chroma so you understand what it is. Check out what models that Costco carries (or can order) that have 4:4:4 chroma. It looks like XavierMace has given you some options that Costco sells. Read up and take that knowledge with you when you go to Costco. No sense getting the cheapest tv you can find if it doesn't have the features that you want. Like you said, Costco has a great return policy. Use it.