Taxpayers On The Hook To Feed Children

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

actuarial

Platinum Member
Jan 22, 2009
So have they even tried to determine how frequent the abuse is, or are they just assuming that it happens?

I'm pretty sure there's food banks in my area that do not require proof of income to use, and they offer far nicer things to eat than this place, and are far more convenient. No one complains about that.

Parents who take their kids here can't even eat themselves.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
And here we go with the Johnny-one-note routine again.

You're boring, and I'm tired of you derailing every thread with the same BS.

Many, if not most, of the kids who take advantage of these programs, are not "bastards". And I don't care if they are.

You want to fix society's "moral problems"? Don't do it on the backs of the innocent.

Your right heaven forbid in a thread talking about taxpayers feeding children, I bring up the cause of so many children needing to be fed by the taxpayer :rolleyes:

Sorry, if you do not like the consequences of liberal sexual morality being pointed out makes you feel uncomfortable.

That's odd. Unless I'm mistaken, it's conservative areas of the country that have the highest rates of teen births, resulting in children with bad lives. They also have the highest rates of teen STDs.

Now what was your point again???

That sexual morality is dead. If you burn down your house do not complain when you get rained on.

Apr 27, 2012
That's odd. Unless I'm mistaken, it's conservative areas of the country that have the highest rates of teen births, resulting in children with bad lives. They also have the highest rates of teen STDs.

Now what was your point again???

Those are mostly social/fake conservatives not REAL CONSERVATIVES though.

Conservatism is the only option

Charles Kozierok

Elite Member
May 14, 2012
That sexual morality is dead. If you burn down your house do not complain when you get rained on.

And here we have another example of how you cannot reason.

Children are not responsible for the "sexual immorality" that led to their creation. If you want to tackle that issue, be my guest. The way to do it is not to make kids go hungry.

If you can't understand that, you're not even worth responding to.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Let's not also forget that the schools are highly incentivized to sign up as many kids as they can on free breakfast, lunch and dinner. If they could have every single one of their students with every meal free they'd be ecstatic.

The amount of federal money and grants is directly proportional to the percentage and number of kids on free/reduced meals. More kids on the dole = more money for the school and district.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Let's not also forget that the schools are highly incentivized to sign up as many kids as they can on free breakfast, lunch and dinner. If they could have every single one of their students with every meal free they'd be ecstatic.

The amount of federal money and grants is directly proportional to the percentage and number of kids on free/reduced meals. More kids on the dole = more money for the school and district.

wtf are you talking about?? Free breakfast lunch and dinner??? I know of no school that serves Breakfast or Dinner. The summer lunch program by the USDA has nothing to do with school funding or school enrollment or even the reduced lunch program.

since you have no idea what you are talking about ill try to explain it. when a kid goes for a free lunch at the school for the SUMMER LUNCH PROGRAM, names are not taken, address are not taken, no forms are filled out, no ID is required, hell you dont even have to go to that school. just show up thats it.

Last edited:

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003

That's because the way public schools are funded makes absolutely no sense and is fundamentally unfair.

In Wisconsin, for example, state aid to schools per pupil isn't simply a matter of total state funding for schools divided by the total number of students in the state. No, each district receives a different amount from the state per student.. and that amount has nothing to do with anything except how much each district was currently spending in 1993, which was frozen in place by Tommy Thompson with the QEO. Didn't matter if each district was being frugal or not with what they were receiving... their spending levels at that time were what was written in stone.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Further, why the hell are Republicans whining about this??

Percentage of students with free or reduced lunches by state, 2011
http://nces.ed.gov/programs/digest/d10/tables/dt10_044.asp
I took the time to put it in Excel and sort.

State ranking:
50: Mississippi 68.4%
49: Louisiana 64.9%
48: New Mexico 62.9%
47: Alaska 57.1%
46: Oklahoma 56.3%
45: Georgia 53.0%

Lowest rates (the other end)
1: New Hampshire 20.5%
2: New Jersey 30.1%
3: Connecticut 30.7%
4: Massachussetts 30.7%

Uhhh, wtf?! Kids in Republican states are getting free and reduced lunches, while the Republicans are blaming the Democrats for this and calling it a waste of money?!

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
wtf are you talking about?? Free breakfast lunch and dinner??? I know of no school that serves Breakfast or Dinner. The summer lunch program by the USDA has nothing to do with school funding or school enrollment or even the reduced lunch program.

since you have no idea what you are talking about ill try to explain it. when a kid goes for a free lunch at the school for the SUMMER LUNCH PROGRAM, names are not taken, address are not taken, no forms are filled out, no ID is required, hell you dont even have to go to that school. just show up thats it.

It's been old news for a while, there are plenty of schools offering 3 meals a day for free and even take home food for the weekends. Quick google finds plenty. He's not called the food stamp president for nothing.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/09/school-supper-dinner-is-n_n_1265631.html

You've heard about free school lunches and breakfasts, but how about school suppers? In California, dinners are now being served to students at almost 200 schools.

These California schools are joining a new federally-funded effort to provide three meals a day to children from low-income families who also attend after-school programs across the state.

DrPizza

Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Further, why the hell are Republicans whining about this??

Percentage of students with free or reduced lunches by state, 2011
http://nces.ed.gov/programs/digest/d10/tables/dt10_044.asp
I took the time to put it in Excel and sort.

State ranking:
50: Mississippi 68.4%
49: Louisiana 64.9%
48: New Mexico 62.9%
47: Alaska 57.1%
46: Oklahoma 56.3%
45: Georgia 53.0%

Lowest rates (the other end)
1: New Hampshire 20.5%
2: New Jersey 30.1%
3: Connecticut 30.7%
4: Massachussetts 30.7%

Uhhh, wtf?! Kids in Republican states are getting free and reduced lunches, while the Republicans are blaming the Democrats for this and calling it a waste of money?!

Spidey said:
He's not called the food stamp president for nothing.
Incorruptible said:
The program is being ABUSED which is a waste of tax dollars

Hey you two. Yooooooohooooooooo! Look at the stats. WHO is abusing the program again? Even when you factor in California's program, that's just a distraction from the truth. See stats, verify stats.

I have a free lunch program for you two... perhaps you should eat crow.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Hey you two. Yooooooohooooooooo! Look at the stats. WHO is abusing the program again? Even when you factor in California's program, that's just a distraction from the truth. See stats, verify stats.

The program was expanded by Obama and democrat congress. Why do you think he's called the food stamp president? Because it's the truth.

Those states have lots of poverty. No surprise the participation would be in line poverty statistics. Stats, how do they work? You're smarter than this.

DrPizza

Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
The program was expanded by Obama and democrat congress. Why do you think he's called the food stamp president? Because it's the truth.

Those states have lots of poverty. No surprise the participation would be in line poverty statistics. Stats, how do they work? You're smarter than this.

Sooooo.... like I said, you're objecting to the Democrats giving more free lunches to kids in Republican states. oooooookayyyy... And, you were saying the system was being abused, and that it affects school funding. Hmmmm... who is abusing the program? Must be that no one in New Hampshire needs free lunches and 20.5% of them are abusing the program, while no one is abusing the program in Mississippi, and 68.4% of them need free lunches? Is that what you're trying to say???

Last edited:

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006

Spidey you are mixing up multiple issues. This thread is about the summer food program. Not about meals served during the school year. Dinners served during the school year, aren't for everyone, only those on the free/reduced lunch program. Yes there has been an expansion of free school meals for low income people, but that isnt what this thread is about.

There hasnt been an expansion of Summer Food Service Program, the topic of this thread, under Obama. The only thing Obama has done to change this particular program is remove the cap on the number of private non profit providers eligible to serve kids meals. There has been more marketing of the program though, but that actually stems from Congressional/Bush legislation in 2004.

The program has ALWAYS worked the same way. If an area has 50%(used to be 33% until 1981) of the school age children on free/reduced lunch, then every child in that area under the age of 18 is eligible for the Summer Food Program. The number of children served has been pretty consistent in the past 20 years, the numbers have hovered in the 2 to 2.3million range.

People keep saying abuse this abuse that. The number served yearly doesnt even equal the number of eligible students on free/reduced lunches.

Last edited:

sunzt

Diamond Member
Nov 27, 2003
Spidey you are mixing up multiple issues. This thread is about the summer food program. Not about meals served during the school year. Dinners served during the school year, aren't for everyone, only those on the free/reduced lunch program. Yes there has been an expansion of free school meals for low income people, but that isnt what this thread is about.

There hasnt been an expansion of Summer Food Service Program, the topic of this thread, under Obama. The only thing Obama has done to change this particular program is remove the cap on the number of private non profit providers eligible to serve kids meals. There has been more marketing of the program though, but that actually stems from Congressional/Bush legislation in 2004.

The program has ALWAYS worked the same way. If an area has 50%(used to be 33% until 1981) of the school age children on free/reduced lunch, then every child in that area under the age of 18 is eligible for the Summer Food Program. The number of children served has been pretty consistent in the past 20 years, the numbers have hovered in the 2 to 2.3million range.

People keep saying abuse this abuse that. The number served yearly doesnt even equal the number of eligible students on free/reduced lunches.

stop using facts that contradict people's dream world.

CrackRabbit

Lifer
Mar 30, 2001
It's just Incorruptibles shtick, he's a liberal/Democrat posting as a conservative. His fail comes because he has no clue about how conservatives think or feel. I not only spend my own money on helping feed kids, i also spend time and effort in doing it.

I'm not sure it is a shtick, people with shticks usually post in a "normal" tone every once in a while
I honestly believe that he is quite possibly mentally retarded.

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
Yeah, God forbid we put money into our schools for food, or books, or teachers. What the hell are these people thinking???

/sarcasm

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Sooooo.... like I said, you're objecting to the Democrats giving more free lunches to kids in Republican states. oooooookayyyy... And, you were saying the system was being abused, and that it affects school funding. Hmmmm... who is abusing the program? Must be that no one in New Hampshire needs free lunches and 20.5% of them are abusing the program, while no one is abusing the program in Mississippi, and 68.4% of them need free lunches? Is that what you're trying to say???

What aren't you getting? The feds incent and essentially force schools to use these programs. It should come as no surprise that states with more poor people would use more programs aimed at poor people.

Apr 27, 2012

My whole point is the program shouldn't exist, taxpayers shouldn't pay for this